Liked: 482

Default Frustrating: Search not finding stuff I know is there...

Not infrequently I search something like “TDC” (in this case a brand name) and no results come back. I KNOW “TDC” is all over the place. Am I doing something wrong or is the search too short? If so, can that be changed?

Liked: 447

I haven't been involved with the forum software or even used the forums that much recently, but you need to add more criteria to the search. TDC is a bit vague so maybe add other words that were in the thread. "TDC oil pump" helps narrow in your search. You could also go into the advanced option if you know who started or was involved in the thread.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default Likewise...

Likewise, the search feature does not find anything when searching for "DB-1", but it does when searching "Swift DB-1."

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    I haven't been involved with the forum software or even used the forums that much recently, but you need to add more criteria to the search. TDC is a bit vague so maybe add other words that were in the thread. "TDC oil pump" helps narrow in your search. You could also go into the advanced option if you know who started or was involved in the thread.
    I understand that but like the example above, if I’m searching for something “DB-1” not everyone posts “”Swift DB-1” so l’ll miss all the “DB-1” posts. In my case today I searched “TDC pan” and returned nothing. Conversely, I searched “TDC sump” and got every post that had “sump” in it. I’m not complaining really, I’m just glad to know I’m not using the search function wrong (aside from not entering enough words). That said, if something could be added in the advanced search, that would be nice...

Liked: 101

A work-around is to use the advanced search options on Google to find stuff here.

For example, to find all TDC topics, do this search on Google:

site:apexspeed.com tdc

Jeff

6. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Teuobk View Post
    A work-around is to use the advanced search options on Google to find stuff here.

For example, to find all TDC topics, do this search on Google:

site:apexspeed.com tdc

Jeff
    Brilliant and simple! (I feel silly for not thinking of it...) Thx Jeff!

Liked: 1417

There is a simple reason for limiting the 3 letter words and smaller—the load that a search like that puts on our server from a forum this large is astronomical. No, it's not ideal to not be able to search things like DB1, but the server couldn't handle the load of results if someone searched something like the word "car."

I wish we could make it more effective, but the restrictions are there to keep the server from having a complete meltdown.

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information