Liked: 14

Default Enclosed trailer sale question

I have a 2016 Arising 7' x 12' v-nose, single axle enclosed trailer for sale. I used it for my formula vee.

When I bought it, I was issued a certificate of origin for a vehicle. I registered the trailer in Maine and was never issued a title for it. The back of the certificate of origin has slots listed for dealer sales, but doesn't mention private sales.

Can I sign the back of the certificate of origin as a dealer? Is a signed certificate of origin plus a bill of sale good enough for transfer of ownership?

Let me know what you think.

TIA

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

That's how I bought mine here in TN but some states may differ. We don't have to register them here when used for personal/private use.
    Graham

Liked: 69

It varies greatly from state to state, Ohio doesn't require a title for personal use, but some surrounding states do. At least near me, I have found a notarized bill of sale (and your certificate) have been adequate when I sold a trailer to an out of state buyer for them to get a title in their state.
    Craig Butt

Liked: 14

Thanks for the input. I've had three trailers and haven't had a title for any of them.

Thread Information