Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 26

Yes , I definately looked into shipping. All the quotes were in the $3500.00 range. Would perhaps make sense if you were buying a $30,000.00 + car but put that on top of an $8000.00 car and you are upside down pretty quick. It's still a $8000.00 car ,it's just that you paid $11500.00 for it. Too rich for my post retirement budget. If I am going to spend nearly$12000.00 on a car it's going to have to be a PNW car so the cost is pure car not nearly a 50% upcharge for transport. Actually at the 11 th hour a friend offered to help with the transport cost in exchange for some seat time down the road. But by the time I was aware of his offer of help the other buyer had put down a deposit. My friend is as much as a Royale fan as I am so I doubt the same offer would stand for another make but who knows.
    I am afraid a intact Sports 2000 is not something you would strap to a pallet, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.
    Thanks for the formula SV suggestion. I am looking for a Sports Racer. I already have a sports racer converted Formula B car. It needs to be put back to it's as built configuration and sold on to someone with the resources to run a historic open wheel car. I just want a simple club racing sports racer. The older and more out dated the better. I am in my 60's and open wheel cars no longer have the appeal they had when I was younger.

Greg
    Last edited by GreginCanada; 04.12.19 at 2:17 PM.

Liked: 3

Default Alternate tow vehicle

You can rent a Ford F-150 from Enterprise Truck Rentals for $475 per week + $0.29 per mile (first 500 miles free). A Ford F-250 from Enterprise is $625/week + $0.29/mile. I know someone who did this regularly for towing his enclosed race car trailer to races. Nice new trucks in excellent condition, totally reliable.

If the car you buy is truly a basket case you can rent a 24 foot box van to haul it as a pile of parts for the same price.

A weeks rental and 4000 mile round trip would cost you $475 + (3500 miles x $0.29/mile) = $1490. Way less than shipping.

Edit: math error, it's $1490 not $1635. The F-250 cost is $1640.
    Last edited by vandiemen; 04.14.19 at 3:28 PM.

Very good to know that, Thanks! I didn't realize Enterprise would be that much cheaper. I sure wish I had known that a week and a half ago. It wasn't a basket case ,95% intact so really would have needed a trailer . But a reasonable truck rental would have made all the difference. If there is a next opportunity I definitely know who I am going to call. The F150 would have been perfect.

Greg

Contributing Member
    Liked: 27

Default shipping quotes?

Quote Originally Posted by GreginCanada View Post
    Yes , I definately looked into shipping. All the quotes were in the $3500.00 range.
    When I needed to get my bring-a-trailer LeGrand Mk.2 H-mod (~900lb.) from Paradise CA to Annapolis MD 3 years ago, I looked on uship.com and checked every company's reviews on TransportReviews.com, there are many independent brokers, they get a $150-300 fee on top of the trucking charge, which quoted $1300-1700 for enclosed transport. I went with a $150 broker Mercury Auto Transport, Juan Carlos Bonitto, 954-200-4494, I gave them 3-4 weeks flex schedule, I paid $1450, the driver kept me apprised of his schedule (including a 2-day road breakdown), was very helpful when he arrived, clean big enclosed semi, I was totally satisfied.
    Can't believe prices have gone up that much in the last 3 years.

- Gerhard
    Ecurie Snitfinger - Undetectable modifications of inconsequential significance

Liked: 1115

From the For What it's Worthless Files........

Life's short. We all know what happens then.

Race cars are expensive to run, and there's no getting that back when selling.

But when selling, you do get some back. To say, the initial cost is a small part of it and one has to decide cost vs. return.

The returns are in dying happier. If really wanting to do this, I'd buy something and start smiling while you still have time.

Best of Luck.

Very good advise. I don't disagree at all. Except that I am now retired so money is definately a factor. No more working a bunch of overtime to boost myself over a hurdle. Either I can afford something based on my pension or I must do without.
    I have been very close to making a deal on two cars within the year . One definitely in my price range, one just at the edge of my price range. Sooner or later a third one has to turn up.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard_k View Post
    When I needed to get my bring-a-trailer LeGrand Mk.2 H-mod (~900lb.) from Paradise CA to Annapolis MD 3 years ago, I looked on uship.com and checked every company's reviews on TransportReviews.com, there are many independent brokers, they get a $150-300 fee on top of the trucking charge, which quoted $1300-1700 for enclosed transport. I went with a $150 broker Mercury Auto Transport, Juan Carlos Bonitto, 954-200-4494, I gave them 3-4 weeks flex schedule, I paid $1450, the driver kept me apprised of his schedule (including a 2-day road breakdown), was very helpful when he arrived, clean big enclosed semi, I was totally satisfied.
    Can't believe prices have gone up that much in the last 3 years.

- Gerhard
    Hi Gerhard, they are all $1.25 - $1.50 a loaded mile. And shippers hate things like race cars that can't be easily driven on and off their rigs. Yes , rates have gone up quite a bit over the last 3 years. I also belong to a vintage car forum and there have been a number of threads about how expensive transport has become. And how especially hard it is to get a commercial shipper to look at moving any car that does not run or is difficult to drive.

Greg

Liked: 1115

No worries Greg, all the best in making this happen.

We're in a similar boat right now, except not yet retired. So my post could be titled "Note to Self."

Happy Hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by GreginCanada View Post
    Very good advise. I don't disagree at all. Except that I am now retired so money is definately a factor. No more working a bunch of overtime to boost myself over a hurdle. Either I can afford something based on my pension or I must do without.
    I have been very close to making a deal on two cars within the year . One definitely in my price range, one just at the edge of my price range. Sooner or later a third one has to turn up.

Greg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information