Liked: 3

Has anybody dealt with Saferacer.com for purchasing Helmets and drivers suits, good or bad? The car will be ready soon and I've outgrown and out dated my safety equipment from the early 90's. Looking at the Bieffe F1GPV and a Momo Racer 2000 or OMP Pilota Suit. Input appreciated.

Wooly

Contributing Member
    Liked: 10

Sorry I don't have an answer. I'm in the same boat and looking for safety equipment.

Just wondering if people think that one of the 'aero' type helmets (i.e. Bell Dominator) is necessary in a FF.

Is there that much wind buffetting at over 100mph that it is uncomfortable to use a more conventional 'smooth' helmet?

The price differences are astounding!

Liked: 0

Mike,I bought a Bell M3 last year. Good price/fit and no buffet at all (Crossle 32).

Liked: 13

I have used the Bieffe F1GP for 3 seasons in both open wheel and prototypes and have had no problem at all with buffeting. It is very comfortable and the one I have, comes with a removable liner. I keep an extra liner on hand and swap them out between sessions.
    I will try not to get on my soap box about suit and underwear, but having just been involved in a major fire, I must stress, that no matter what you do, buy the best equipment, peroid. Purchase one less set of tires for the season and get a proper 3-layer suit and wear the underwear,no matter how hot. Remember,in a fire every second counts. I had on a Sparco 3-layer Tech-3 (or Tech-5?, whatever their top suit is) suit with underwear and if it wasn't for their quality, I would have been in a lot worse shape than I am today. They did their job and then some. I have since purchased the same suit again.

I would recommend any of the European suits. They are all very well made and I have not had any durability issues. I happen to fit very well in these suit, but they are cut different than Suits made in the USA. I personally feel that Simpson's quality has slipped in both their suits and helmets.

If at all possible, go to a store and try on the eqiupment you are considering. I know that most places will be able to match any price on the internet and you now have also supported you local race shop.

Happy shopping!

Definitely makes a difference on a high speed track (like Willow Springs). Even with an aero helmet it feels like it's trying to pull off your head. I second Bill Hetzel's recommendation on the M3.

I have a Bieffe F1GP and do like it however...finding shields is getting to be a chore. Sure you can find the super expensive Iridium shields, but to find a Dark Smoke has been next to impossible.

The buffeting issue depends partly on the car you're driving and the seating position. I used to have a Lola T-644 and had considerable buffeting, but in the present DB-1 I have virtually none. I have used Bell M series helmets since I started and now have an M-3 - the Kevlar is considerably lighter than the F-glass.

[quote]Originally posted by Bob Lutz DB-1 #54:
    [b]The buffeting issue depends partly on the car you're driving and the seating position.[/b][/quote]Also depends on what type of car you're following, Formula Mazdas create a large, dirty, turbulent hole that causes lots of buffeting.

When I ran a 87 Reynard FC, I started with a Bell AFX, there was lots of buffeting. Purchased a Vortex and it worked really well up to about 130MPH, then I noticed lift becoming an issue. I'm running a Crossle' 32 and a Vortex now and I don't notice any buffeting at all.

Steve Gomas

Liked: 4

All this is interesting...

I bought a Bell "Dominator" last year, but I couldn't use it because in my car ('95 Citation FC), it caused my head to be pulled back and down to the extent that I thought my head would fall off after only a couple of laps. With a "Vortex" or a 1996 Simpson "Shark," neither of which have extensive aero aids, I didn't have any problems.

Liked: 19

As the comments of Bob Lutz and others indicate, I think the aerodynamics of the car/cockpit and the seating position play a major role in the forces induced by the helmet. To see the effects of the helmet alone, I suggest a fast ride on an unfaired bike. One does not really have to go very fast to generate substantial lift with some conventional helmets! However, I don't think it will tell you much about what it does in the car. I have never had lift or buffetting in my Van Diemen RF81 that feels nearly as bad as on a bike at 60 miles per hour.
    - Frank C

[size="1"][ January 07, 2003, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Frank C ][/size]

I would like to ask for advise regarding safety equipment.

I race a Ford 2.0 pinto in a 4 cyl. dirt track race car and and am thankful to have found this and the f-2000 sites. A wealth of knowledge shared amongst you all. Thank you. Note: found the site doing research for my current build of a '67 Cortina dirt track racer in a 1600 c.c. limited class.

My question concerns finding a good 3 layer suit that will properly fit a rather large fellow. I am 5'9" and 270#. Wear XXX (dress shirt size 19 34/35 have a a 52"(132 cm) chest, size 42 waist and large thighs. Surely not a one size fits all fellow here. I have had no luck in finding a supplier out of the regular European sources.

Just where would anyone suggest I look for a QUALITY suit.

Also would like to ask anyone who has moved to the more aerodynamic helmets if they are willing to sell any snell 2000 rated helmets. Perhaps '95. I wear a 59/60 cm with the head sock.

Thank you all for the great information shared on this board.

Respectfully,
    Allen D. De Loura
    [email]allend@fix.net[/email]
    positionpole@hotmail.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 13

My vote is for VAS suits. Victor is the owner and a professional tailor. I have been using his suits since 1975 and have found them to be very durable and high quality. His custom-sized suits are cheaper than just about every other companies' standard suits. He now has a store at Pocono Raceway (PA)- look at Bertil Roos' website for more information. If you talk to him' tell him Joby Graham sent you.

p.s. - Way back in 1985 I had him make me a suit with sewn-in arm restraints, so maybe that makes me the "inventor" of that idea?

Joby,

I tried to e-mail but was unable to reach you.

I am unable to find further information on how to contact Victor at VAS.
    I have found some information at the Bertil Roos site but no contact information. Rather, just a statement that the suits are sold their.

Having done business with this fellow as you have through the years, I would like to ask if you have any other contact information for Victor?

Thanking you in advance,
    Allen

positionpole@hotmail.com

Liked: 1

Bell m-3 is an awsome lid, ..I have one.

G-Force has a new aero helmet for $400 and I looked at it at the PRI show, .. I'm buying one as it's a VERY nice helmet, ..
    the second reason is it has mounts for their head restraint system that is a simple, inexpensive solution to the problem. I touched, played, .. looked at the G-Force head restraint system, .. if you can't afford a $1300 HANS, . . I'd buy the $200 G-Force, .. hack I'd buy it anyway.

As for suits, .. Euro suit makers, no question.
    I prefer Sparco, .. 3 layer with underwear.

I saw a post some ware regarding Victoria Secrets for the underwear, .. only problem is the little string from the thong doesn't cover enough of my big, hairy butt to protect it, .. so go with Sparco.

Curtis
    Vector FF #41

[size="1"][ January 12, 2003, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Curtis Boggs ][/size]

Curtis,
    TMI
    Brad

;)

Jerry Sloot

the aero helmets?.....no specific experience but this comment, you as a newbie will perhaps get sucked in by the new "tricks/bells and whistles" if you get my drift....a more important comment... get a carbon fiber helmet not a fiberglass one. it's your head/brain that's sticking out in the open and carbon is 10 times stronger than fiberglass....also, if you must use a nasal strip to open your nostrils when you've put your helmet on, then you've probably finally found a helmet the right size....as a generalization i think people tend to buy helmets just a little too large, ergo the problem of helmet twisting on your head at speed. as the guy at continental motorsports keep saying whenever i talk to him about this trick thing or that new part that ya just-gatta-have....just learn to drive the car.

I second the vote on the Bieffe F1. I was astounded at how much less turbulence there was compared to my older Simpson. No lifting and far less wind noise. Almost serene comparatively.

Sure hope the shield shortage clears up soon.

(Used in a vintage FF but improved areo notable even at our typical 115-120mph top speeds.)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 10

I'm considering two entry-level 3-layer suits:

Momo Racing 2000 and OMP Pilota

Both are right around $400 which doesn't seem unreasonable for a 3-layer suit.

Anyone have any experience with either?

I have no local distributor so trying them on is out of the question.

Is there a major difference between these entry level suits and the more expensive stuff?

I've found a good deal ($500) on a Momo Shadow suit which normally sells for about $800.

Should I spend a little extra and get the Shadow? I'm most concerned with safety and durability.
    Opinions wanted!
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

Mike: I still wear a 4 year old OMP standard low end suit, and given reasonable care, it should last another 4. It is well made, ultra comfortable, and an exceptional value.

I would warn you that the size charts provided by the manufacturer are iffy at best, and I recommend you find a way to put it on befor you buy. It took 3 tries and 4 months of nagging at Sparco to get the right fit on my new suit, my fault, I used the size chart.

gm

Dear Mike And Allan:
    I have been using the RaceQuip line of products and have been very satisfied. My driving suit is at least 8 seasons old and has been holding up very nicely. I also use their gloves because they offer a version with two velcro straps that I can adjust to keep my glove fitting snugly around the wrists. If you are looking for custom fit they offer a very good form that walks you through all the measurements that they need to create the suit to your body size. Call 800-678-7223 and request a catalog or visit their site. By buying their product you would also be supporting a company that is US owned and manufactured. Not an insignificant idea in these tough economic times.
    Best Wishes,

Greg Kokolus
    PRS RH-01
    NCF#56
    <BR>

I'm using a Bell M3 in my '84 Reynard FC and have experienced no buffeting.

Liked: 67

Suggest you check out [url="http://www.upracing.com"]www.upracing.com[/url]
    As a new racer to the field you can expect
    to enter the safety equipment for about 2000.00

Bell M3 439.00
    Sparco Prima 5 3-Layer Nomex Suit 811.00
    Anotomical collar 84.00
    Crow Arm Retraints: 31.95
    Nomex Balacalva 38.00
    Nomex shirt: 75.00
    Nomex Longjohns:85.00
    Nomex socks: 20.00
    F1 Gloves: 108.00
    F1 Boots: 178.00

Buy the best, its your own life. The most expensive gear may be the cheapest in the long run. The Bell M-3 is awesome.

Since you're in California, make an appointment with Larry at the old Filler safety plant in Sun Valley (close to Burbank) They are now part of the Bell/Pyrotect empire and will measure you and make a nice suit to custom size for less than most can off the rack. Make sure you get something that's real durable though, as dirt-track guys spend a lot of time working on the car in their suits between heats, and you don't want something that snags easily (a Pyrotect or G-force kevlar suit might be the ticket here, but they are camel-brown, kevlar doesn't take dye)

Since you are driving a closed-cockpit dirt car, I'd talk with other competitors in the class before deciding on a helmet. You don't need any cool aero tricks, but you do need to make sure the dust doesn't collect inside your visor and make it impossible to see. Check and see if guys are running a "pumper" helmet that blows filtered fresh air in through a fitting on the side. That's not only important for dust, but also to keep your CO exposure down in short track racing.
    Keith Connolly<BR>K C Motorsport - UK

Contributing Member

[quote]
    My question concerns finding a good 3 layer suit that will properly fit a rather large fellow. I am 5'9" and 270#. Wear XXX (dress shirt size 19 34/35 have a a 52"(132 cm) chest, size 42 waist and large thighs. Surely not a one size fits all fellow here. I have had no luck in finding a supplier out of the regular European sources.

Respectfully,
    Allen D. De Loura
    [/quote]It is a bit of a drive from Paso Robles, but [url="http://www.subesports.com/home/"]Sube Sports in Huntington Beach[/url] has suits that you can try on. Give them a call first to see what brands thay have in your size.

I went there and tried on size 62 & 64 size of the Sparco suits - but have not pulled the trigger on a purchase yet. I did finally get my Bieffe F1GPV helmet there after they got back in stock so I could try on size L.

Liked: 126

re: Sube Sports

If you know what equipment you want, their prices are fair and so is their selection. Any Sparco stuff they don't have in stock can be quickly picked up at a local Sparco DC (10 minutes from Sube)

I would caution going there before doing your homework. They could/would not answer some simple questions I had regarding MOMO/OMP/SPARCO suits. Such as "what are the various layers of each suit made of?". They also told me that the SPARCO 2-layer offers as much protection as the OMP and MOMO 3 layer suits. What I think they meant to say is that the Sparco passes the same tests (FIA and SFI /5) in only 2-layers. Clearly, they all passed the same test, but I am not interested in getting a suit that passed the test, I want one that received a high 'score'. They also recommended against buying underwear, saying that it didn't offer any extra protection, only the comfort of wicking away moisture from the body. Possibly he thought if I had to budget for underwear that I was going to purchase a lesser suit. I found that it was irresponsible and misleading to try to sell me what they wanted me to buy. Fortunately I was there to buy a suit for someone else who knew exactly what they wanted, and I was attempting to research a future suit purchase for myself. Since they also didn't offer any gloves with a nomex-lined palm they said that the leather palm gloves were adequate for a club-racer. I wondered if a fire knew it was trying to burn a mere club racer and therefore wouldn't be as hot as one a factory Rally driver was involved in.

They won't be getting any of my dollars in the future. Which I am sorry for, I'd much rather support a local business than send my money to a large mail-order company. Anyone know of any other so-cal businesses that sells Euro suits?

Daryl, You probably can get the OMP duit material at ompusa.com. I bought a 3 layer OMP from WineCopuntry Motorsports at Sears Point. They used to have an outlet at Buttonwillow.
    [url="http://www.winecountrymotorsports.com"]www.winecountrymotorsports.com[/url]

Thread Information