Liked: 79

Default Replacement trailer roof vent cover?

Purchased a new trailer in 2015. Woke up after a rainstorm this morning and saw some water in the trailer. I looked up and saw that the lid was missing. It doesn’t appear that there’s any mounting screws. I may have to buy another Cover with frame and drill out the rivets on my old frame to attach it. Looks like a no-name brand cover as I can’t find a replacement.

Has anybody else been down the same road before?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1908

I got a replacement from camping world about 10 years ago. Drilled out the rivets and used sheet metal screws to attach the new one.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 530

Easy to find at any trailer place. I had one become brittle from the sun and crack, probably from an animal running across it. Every time I touched it trying to tape the crack it broke in another place.

Liked: 135

My covers generally lasted 12-15 months with the trailer parked outside. Any trailer place will have a replacement and you can order them online as well. Depending on the design, there are two screws that attach to the center support and then the cover folds backward and come off without having to drill out rivits. I usually carry a spare in the trailer since they always seemed to disappear when on the road.
    Craig Farr
    Stohr WF1 P2

Contributing Member
    Liked: 85

they also come in aluminum, so you can end the cracking and disintegration

go to the RV store

Contributing Member

The third time I had one blow off I bought a piece of thin aluminum sheet, notched the corners, bent the tabs down, silicone sealed it over the original frame and then put a couple of rivets in each side. Problem solved forever. No leaks.

You are lucky to still have the frame and crank assembly. You can just put a metal cover on it. These vents don't seem to do anything positive in Arizona but I suppose they might help if you have humidity.

Have fun. Jim

Looks Like it may be easier just to replace the whole unit.

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    I got a replacement from camping world about 10 years ago. Drilled out the rivets and used sheet metal screws to attach the new one.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Had mine die about 200 miles from closest RV store.... early morning in Arkansas, in rain.... Made a temporary inside cover from 24 hr. WalMart store (alum sign, plastic paint pan...) slowed down ingress. Got to RV guy in Pinebluff as he opened, had old plastic remains off/ new on in about 2 minutes, he slide hinge off sideways/over once crank was unhooked... no messing with frame/sealing. Seems a common issue. Biggest deal is getting to it (no ladder) and not messing up "cheap" roof with fat boy installer...... Bought a spare to carry, less than 20 bucks, then. Told 2 common styles, so check...or buy both?

Okie

Contributing Member
    Liked: 482

Try eTrailer.com

ChrisZ

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Like others have said, any decent RV/trailer supply place.

However. Take the old broken cover (size) and the pictures with you so they can match it up. There are a few different sizes and a few different hinge style and spacing to match up.

Once you have the correct cover you will see how simple it is to replace.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 924

JC Whitney

Liked: 2

Default trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coury View Post
    Purchased a new trailer in 2015. Woke up after a rainstorm this morning and saw some water in the trailer. I looked up and saw that the lid was missing. It doesn’t appear that there’s any mounting screws. I may have to buy another Cover with frame and drill out the rivets on my old frame to attach it. Looks like a no-name brand cover as I can’t find a replacement.

Has anybody else been down the same road before?
    K&k trailer Suply in Ft Lauderdale they have them on the shelf different sizes and quality

Thank you all for the replays and PM's

I guess when I first looked at it at arms length from the ladder and saw the rivets-I assumed that it was manufactured so it was not serviceable.

Just matched up the hinge online and ordered a Camco unit from Home Depot website, delivered to the store at half the price of everybody else.

Thanks again,
    Bob

Thread Information