Thread: Flywheel teeth

Liked: 0

An extra stock flywheel came with my car when I bought it. I measured everything and it looks the same as my stock one except for teeth.

The teeth on my curent flywheel are more V shaped the flywheel in question has U shaped teeth.

I took a picture of it to show you what I mean:

[url="http://www.chrismore.com/graphics/ff_flywheel_teeth.jpg"]http://www.chrismore.com/graphics/ff_flywheel_teeth.jpg[/url]

Are there different starters that have different style teeth? Or do I have some oddball extra flywheel? I weighed it and it comes in at 19.5 lbs just like my current flywheel.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Marshall Aiken
    www.aikenracing.com

Chris,
    Just a wild guess here, but I would say the one on the right, the squarer of the two, looks new to me. The other one looks to have been nashed on before.
    John

Upon second look, is the number of teeth per inch the same? looks like the new one could be more. have you tried stacking one on top of the other to see if they match up?

[size="1"][ September 15, 2002, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: John Robinson ][/size]

I just checked and there are more teeth per inch on the new flywheel (one on the right). So the teeth are newer but they are of a different size. The two flywheels don't even close to mesh up.

Chris
    Marshall Aiken
    www.aikenracing.com

I'm not an expert but I would say the new one probable has 123 teeth & the other has 110. The older one is probable set up for a lucas starter. They require a slight tapper on one side of the flywheel teeth.
    The teeth rings are removable (can be pressed off & on) best left up to someone that has the equipment.

Pat

I just counted the teeth on the newer looking flywheel (U shaped teeth) and there are 135 teeth.

You are right about the current flywheel that i'm using that is does have a taper on the one side of the tooth.

Are you sure about the 110 and 123 teeth configurations?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Marshall Aiken
    www.aikenracing.com

Two common flywheel ring configurations 135 and 110.

And the 135 tooth ring is .040 larger in diameter than the 110.

There are also 9 tooth and 10 tooth starter pinions.

Rule #73: If you starter is working fine. Document the ring, pinion, starter combination, and don't change it.

It is not unusual for one to buy a "new" engine, and plug it into their old chassis, and then find out the flywheel rings are different and their starter is malfunctioning.
    Timmy<BR>

Sorry. I was using the old memory cell on the 135 tooth ring.
    I think Purple Frog got it right. I would have to dig to deep in my stuff to find the flywheel with all the teeth.

Pat

I currently have a lucas starter with the stock 110 tooth flywheel.

I checked pegasus and I don't see any replacement pinion gears for the lucas to adapt it to a 135 tooth flywheel.

Where could I find such a gear? Would I have to switch starters?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Marshall Aiken
    www.aikenracing.com

DENIS

I'd shy away from the 135 simply for the lack of spares when you need them at the track! The starters for this will no interchange so you are much better off with the 110.

the ford starter in Van Dieman's take the 135 tooth ring gear. It's not a good idea to interchange them. It will work but will put undue pressure on the starter drive. Taylor in Texas sells both ring gears. It's not pressed, but rather sweated on with a torch, make the flywheel glow and the ring will gently fall in place. Remove the old one by cutting it. It's not all that difficult.

Keep in mind that ther are two different ID (inside diameter) ring gears that are 110 tooth. Some FF flywheels take the smaller ID and some take the larger ID. The OD is the same on both. New ones are available for either flywheel. Neil

Liked: 1417

Posted by Craig Taylor:

Chris,

If you are running anything other than a Van Diemen FF (post 1997) the 135T flywheel will not fit into your adapter ring. As noted above, it is a larger diameter.

The best for common FF is to use the 110T ring gear. The 110T ring gear unfortunately was originally designed for the 10T Lucas Bendex type drive, so the 9T drive gear with a standard starter does not quite engage properly. When we desinged the new Tilton XLT starter for FF, we moved the pinion .040" closer to the crankshaft to tighten up the backlash. I believe that someone supplying the Nippon Denso (Swift-type) for standard FF has made this correction also. Cannot recall the name. Sorry.

Craig

Thread Information