Liked: 188

I would like to install the petronix electronic ignition and I am looking for info on what kit fits the bosch distributor in my FF. At ffu kit #1843,#1842, and #1847 were mentioned before. In talking to our petronix dealer here in Canada kit #1843 application is for BMW.
    Q.>Is #1843 the correct kit for my bosch distrib.?
    Q.>Since I am changing to electronic ignition is now a good time to replace coil and wires?
    Thanks for your replies in advance.
    John

Liked: 0

I contacted Petronix directly (800 phone number from their website) and they gave me the part number based on my distributor PN. However, I never got it installed and after a subsequent phone call, they said the kit I bought wouldn't work. I was also told that the Petronix can play havic with some eletronic tachs or data aquisition systems. BTW, they have a specific requirement for the coil resistance.

For now, I'm going to stick with the points.
    Brad

Hi - We have sold lots of those kits. Bosch 1.6L FF distributor uses the 1843 kit. We use electronic tachs and CDS data systems and have had no problems. Coil must have a minimum resistence but most Bosch blue coils are ok to use. Neil

hi, I have a pertronix with a stack dash and have been chasing an intermittent tach reading. tried various ohm resistors inline (47k, 100k) with no luck. the stack works fine with points and condensor, but with the pertronix, it cuts in and out. might work for 10 seconds and then stop for 10 seconds, sometimes longer. i've been trying to find someone I can borrow a oscilloscope from to look at the signal and try some different filtering (resistor/diode, resistor/capacitor). dave

The one I bought from Neil Porter works great, installed in a Bosch distributor, no problems with the tach (Autometer). I did notice that when I set my timing after installing the Pertronix the timing seems to be much more stable (at 4000 rpm it's not jumping all over the place).

Thread Information