Liked: 2

Default selection of gear ratios

I pulled this gear information below that Moses posted a long time ago.

I run a lot at BIR which is 2.5 miles, 14 turns, slowest corner is tight left turn at about 45 mph. Shorty after that road straightens and full acceleration up to turn 3 with max speed of about 120 mph and I am loosing ground to the FE guys. Just seems I am not getting to top speed quick enough. Any pointers on selection would be appreciated.

I purchased a new car and am about to crack into the transmission for a check on condition, but also thought I would check on the ratios. Wondering if you could help me in proper gear selection setup. With my other car I have used the following most common short stack. he new one seems to be slower on the top end and gear 4&5 are very close together:

Q: What Gears are available
    A: As far legal gears go there are not too many to choose from. Here Is a list of legal gears, and possible gear stack combinations.
    15/36
    17/34
    19/32
    21/29
    22/30 (same as 21/29 + 50rpm. 21/29 better torque, and gear split. I recommend the 21/29)
    23/28
    24/27
    25/26
    26/26 (Any 1:1 Ratio is legal)

Short stack for auto crossing, or very tight track configuration[/font]
    15/36
    17/34
    19/32
    21/29
    23/28

Short Stack, and most common
    17/34
    19/32
    21/29
    23/28
    24/27

Tall Stack for fast track
    19/32
    21/29
    23/28
    24/27
    25/26

Tall stack with short 1st Used at fast tracks that have at least on SLOW corner
    17/34
    19/32
    21/29
    23/28
    25/26

Liked: 11

I have no experience at BIR but based on your speed description I would think the short stack is what you want. So see what's in the box and go from there. If you're losing time down the straights maybe aero differences?

Thread Information