Liked: 0

Here are the results for the first SCCA event at the beautiful California Speedway:
    Saturday:
    FF
    Ebert, VD
    Olsen, Swift
    Briggs, Swift
    Haaz, Swift
    Guzman, Swift
    Kessinger, Crossle
    Simpson, Swift
    Nosler, Swift
    Dalmolin, Swift
    Morrison, Swift

CF
    Karns, Legrand

SF
    Jessen, Crossle
    Stewart, Crossle

Sunday:
    FF:
    Nosler, Swift
    Olsen, Swift
    Simpson, Swift
    Ebert, VD
    Briggs, Swift
    Dalmolin, Swift
    Kessinger, Crossle
    Guzman, Swift
    Morrison, Swift

CF
    Karns, Legrand

SF
    Stewart, Crossle
    Jessen, Crossle

Lap Record: Peter Nosler, 1:47.862
    Brad

Liked: 33

It should be noted that the FF's and FV's ran with the Spec Racer Ford's. I considered that this race grouping was not safe, and met with the Stewards on this issue. The FF and SRF lap times were 10 seconds a lap difference for the leaders. Sam Simpson was taken out by a SRF while running second on Saturday, and I think Peter Nosler was taken out by one while leading. These two classes are incompatable. I will not run a Cal Club event while this situation continues. I won't mention the short cut pass for position on Sunday that wasn't called.

Liked: 9

I agree I was spun at 100 mph plus because of a Spec Racer not checking his or her mirrors then pulling out on me down the front staight in qualifing. When I complained to the stewards nothing happened and none of the Spec Racers fessed up.

Liked: 19

We occasionally have SRF's grouped with us in the Midwest Division, and I agree with your feelings, Roland. We have some very good SRF drivers, and I have not had any problems passing, but have seen too much fendered, very sturdy car aggression on starts. They are the cars I least like to have in our group.
    - Frank C
    Edit: Dave (below)is right - they can't see us, but that is not the problem on starts!

[size="1"][ 02-04-2003, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Frank C ][/size]

Having done my second drivers school in a FF (way back when.. :D ) running with SRF's and I have done plenty of mixed practice sessions with SRF's, the one thing I have learned is..... if you are close behind or beside them [b]they can't see you[/b] (a Small formula car) even IF they are looking. So keeping that in mind at all times... you have to be very carefull when passing a SRF.

But, I agree (and the SRF guys will too) it's not a good idea to run small formula cars with SRF's.

Dave
    P.S. Be glad your not driving Vee or a F-500 out there on the track with a gaggle of SRF's...

[size="1"][ 02-04-2003, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Dave Hopple ][/size]
    Mike Andersen
    U.S. F2000 Webmaster

Garey,

Was there no action taken regarding the drive-through at the "Kid-Zone" chicane late in the race? Just curious.

The Infamous El Guapo

Liked: 33

Not one official even mentioned it. We didn't feel like hanging around for a protest over being the first looser. We aren't running for Cal Club points. I spoke to the other driver, he admitted having red mist and short cutting. He didn't think he should have let us and the SRF's he passed back by. No official even talked to the SRF's about punting FF's and FV's either. One of my friends is a FV driver who was hit also. He will not return either.

TIEG,
    I didn't even hear about the shortcut pass until your post. I don't even know who was involved.

RJ,
    I didn't get a look at the Group 2 times (CFC, FC, FA, FM, ASR, CSR, DSR, S2000, CS2000) to see if we were more compatible with them. The difference between the front running SRF's and the backmarker SRF's is another 9 or 10 seconds. Even I lapped the entire SRF field! Either I'm making progress or that REALLY says something about the grouping!
    Brad

Garey,

The "short cut" resulted in a pass for a podium position (you do the math). The Driver in question went straight through the "Kid-Zone" chicane passing a FF competitor for position, as well as two SRF's. Times in Group 2 were FA times of 1:40 FC times of 1:42.5 to 1:43's and 1:44's. I sympathize with you guys as far as having to run with SRF's (most of them don't like it any better than you do. I'm not sure that the solution is to never come back. Why not contact the Cal-Club Competition Committee and let them know how you feel? I, for one, will definitely be back. I had a blast! Later.

EG

Thread Information