Thread: Al Beasley Sr.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 29

Default Al Beasley Sr.

Godspeed to my amazing father! This amazing father, grandpa, great grandpa, husband, friend, competitor, athlete, racer, hunter, and so much more, went to be with his Lord and Savior early this morning. #44 will live in many hearts forever! Updates and service details to come. March 23,1926-December 3,2018.

A memorial service for Alvin E. “Al” Beasley Sr. will be 5 p.m., Friday, December 7, 2018 at Mentor Baptist Church, 7500 Johnnycake Ridge Rd., Mentor. Family will receive friends 3 to 5 p.m., Friday, at the church, prior to the service.Al passed away on December 3, 2018, at the age of 92.He was born in Louisville, Kentucky, and was a graduate of West Virginia University and a proud U.S. Navy Veteran. Al was an amateur race car driver for 49 years, with the Sports Car Club of America, winning two national championships. He enjoyed hunting, fishing, canoeing, and camping. He was an amazing father and always kind and generous. He worked for the City of Mentor as Director of Public Works for many years, retiring in 1994. He was a longtime member of Mentor Baptist Church. The Beasley’s are grateful for the love and support of his church family.Survivors include his wife of 61 years, Dorothy G. (Krueger) Beasley; children, Becky (Carl) Anderson, Bonnie Hall, Al (Debbie) Beasley Jr., Ben Beasley, and Betce (Rich) Wainio; grandchildren, Daniel Sr., Elizabeth, Emily,Nathan, Rachel, Alex, Tyler, Sam (Sara), Anna, Julia, Richie, and Callie; great-grandchildren, Daniel Jr., Bentley, Parker, Rosie, and Piper.He was preceded in death by his parents, Benjamin and Cleo Beasley.Final resting place will be in Mentor Cemetery.Family suggests in lieu of flowers, contributions be made to Mentor Baptist Church, 7500 Johnnycake Ridge Rd., Mentor, OH 44060.Special thanks to the staff at Holly Hill Nursing Home for their care.Arrangements entrusted to Davis-Babcock Funeral Home, Willoughby.

My father Al Sr. and family were long time SCCA members, my dad (Al) had a 3 digit member number. Al Sr., Al Jr. and(me) Ben. All participated in the Runoffs for many years, I don't think my dad missed a year from '72 till it went to Mid-Ohio then several more years at Mid-Ohio. My Dad won the Run-Offs in 86 C S/R, 88 D S/R, with countless podiums over the years, Al Jr. won the Run-Offs in both C and D S/R in 2000, I won C S/R in 98,99,2000, and 2001. My son Sam Beasley (Al Sr.s grandson) won 12 out of 14 races and the Championship in 2015 in the SCCA F2000 Pro Series.

2. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 307

Race in Peace Al!

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1115

Godspeed. Prayers for the family.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 502

Condolences

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Godspeed indeed. My condolences to those who had the privilege of calling him family, friend, or both.

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 896

An amazing person and racer. My first race driver hero!
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 896

Look at that grin. Perfect.

My father Al Sr. and family were long time SCCA members, my dad (Al) had a 3 digit member number. Al Sr., Al Jr. and(me) Ben. All participated in the Runoffs for many years, I don't think my dad missed a year from '72 till it went to Mid-Ohio then several more years at Mid-Ohio. My Dad won the Run-Offs in 86 C S/R, 88 D S/R, with countless podiums over the years, Al Jr. won the Run-Offs in both C and D S/R in 2000, I won C S/R in 98,99,2000, and 2001. My son Sam Beasley (Al Sr.s grandson) won 12 out of 14 races and the Championship in 2015 in the SCCA F2000 Pro Series.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Jnovak; 12.06.18 at 11:20 AM.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

12. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 79

I remember Ben and Ma Beasley from my days at Nelson. RIP and prayers to the family and for his soul.

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 126

Very nice picture. It looks like he's having a blast. Condolences to the family of a man I never knew but heard of.

Liked: 3319

Nelson Ledges, even when it gets back to holding SCCA races, just won't be the same w/o Al Sr. and Cleo (Ma) Beasley. They were a big part of SCCA club racing back in the day, especially at Nelson, their home track.

RIP, Al.
    Dave Weitzenhof

17. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 3787

Always admired the Beasley family story.

People that build their own cars.
    Race what they build.
    And, win with those cars.

A life well lived.

19. The following 7 users liked this post:

Liked: 96

Ben, I am very sorry for your loss. Sending prayers to you and your family. What an amazing life though! Celebrate and cherish the memories.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Vaya Con Dios Al. You will be missed

Liked: 13

Default Al Beasley Sr

In my youth, Al Sr. was a "mythical legend" of a racer to me, that one would read about (pre-internet days). When I finally had the where-with-all to race on a national level, Ben Beasley managed my car for the 2016 runoffs and Al Sr. and Jr. came on race day. So glad I had the opportunity and may he rest in piece.

Armen Megregian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributing Member
    Liked: 15

Default Two words, FAMILY & friend!

Dear Ben, Al, Sam and family I’m so sorry for your loss and the great loss to your extended racing family which is something I cherish. I’m so sorry I wasn’t able to attend the service as I’m still in Mexico. I received the sad news from another one of our “family” members Debbie LaFond who knew I wasn’t on Facebook and sent me an email. I have a lifetime of great memories from the Beasley Bunch going back to the early eighties when I started racing my 66 big block Vette in solo competition. I wouldn’t meet the racing legend for yeats but as Al lived on a well traveled street it seemed WHENEVER I’d pass his house he’d be working on his racecar in the garage and getting a glimpse of a hero was something special! It was years latter that I met Al & “Ma Beasley” who was as big a racing legend as her son! I’ll never forget the times in the paddock stopping by to say hello and as Al Sr, Jr., and Ben were busy working on the car Ma would point to them and tell me “I hope they’re not monkeying up Al’s car”, PRICELESS! I’m sure I’ve never witnessed true family love that started with Ma & Al and was passed on down, and continues to be passed down through the generations! One of my early on track memories of Al was at IRP. I qualified near the front in Atlantic and Al in his CSR was back a bit. I’all never forget the green flag dropping and about halfway down the straightaway I hear a LOUD buzzing over the sound of my SuperVee engine then Al goes flying by me and the leader in his little CSR with his high horsepower 2 stroke engine into the lead! Later that lap our downforce overcame his horsepower as we repased him but seeing that commitment was amazing. It seemed Al was either leading his class or flying off the track. It was early in my Formula Ford days when I asked Al why he goes off the track so much, he answered in one word which is probably the biggest racing lesson I was ever taught, he said MOMENTUM! A lesson that served me well. I could go on and on with stories of things Al and his family have selflessly done to help me over the years and feel I’m blessed to be a small part of their extended family!
    Gods Speed Al, if there was anyone that earned passage to heaven for all the acts of kindness, friendship, and LOVE of family it’s Al, GOD BLESS!!!

Thread Information