Contributing Member
    Liked: 473

Default $120 for a gas cap

Can anyone point me to a better source for the gas cap/plug with o-ring that came with the original Honda conversion kits. I managed to lose mine.

I emailed Honda about it and they quoted me $120!

When I replied asking for the specifications of the part, I got nothing at all. What I can tell you is that it isn't a 16AN plug, although that was close. I THINK the threads might be M33x2, but does anyone know for certain?

I guess if I have to suck it up and pay Honda $120 for a go**amn gas cap, I will, but it galls me.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

might give these folks a call... if not them, might have a lead...
    https://www.fillernecksupply.com/sea...product&page=2

Okie

Contributing Member

Thanks, Bob!

Liked: 1880

Are these something special made by HPD, or are they off of a Honda car? If simply off of a street car, you should be able to get one at almost any junk yard for $10 or less.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    Are these something special made by HPD, or are they off of a Honda car? If simply off of a street car, you should be able to get one at almost any junk yard for $10 or less.
    Sadly, according to Vincent with HPD, they had them specially made...

...and I was wrong about the $120: that's their cost. They want $140.26 for one.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    Sadly, according to Vincent with HPD, they had them specially made...

...and I was wrong about the $120: that's their cost. They want $140.26 for one.
    That's only a 17% margin, looks like a steal.

Any requirement that you run their filler neck, or whatever it is you need to cap? Might be a better alternative.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

Some things from HPD are nicely priced, but the "machined from billet custom" parts are not. The thermostat housing is another, which I have previously offered an alternative. If someone else, with a cap, can create a drawing for you, a friendly machinist can likely make you one for 1/3 to half the price, or as suggested, just replace the whole assembly.

Some purchased components, like silicone coolant hose for example, were cheaper than I could buy elsewhere.

I bet he won't lose that gas cap again!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 303

Default No Honda or Formula

So I am doing a hill climb in an old MG TC. I notice the car is starting to smoke. As I get to the finish line I am driving in a cloud of smoke but only had 100 feet to go and no place to pull off so I went for the finish line. I jump out of the car and checking the engine for where the oil leak is when a fellow hill climber comes over and hands me my oil filler cap. Told me he was watching the finish line and it rolled right up to his foot. Teach me to check and top up the oil before a run. Must not have latched down all the way

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Some things from HPD are nicely priced, but the "machined from billet custom" parts are not. The thermostat housing is another, which I have previously offered an alternative. If someone else, with a cap, can create a drawing for you, a friendly machinist can likely make you one for 1/3 to half the price, or as suggested, just replace the whole assembly.

Some purchased components, like silicone coolant hose for example, were cheaper than I could buy elsewhere.

I bet he won't lose that gas cap again!
    But why choose a "machine from billet custom" solution in the first place, Greg? It's not like finding an appropriate cap would be a difficult task...

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...6erl/overview/

Translated to metric, a 16AN plug is M33.3375x2.117, yet for some reason, Honda chose to have a M33x2 o-ring plug custom made???

How in any reality is that at all sensible?

Liked: 225

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default cap vs plug?

neat find, but somehow think he needed a cap, rather than a plug... I looked on that link for cap, didn't find, might be out there...

If needing a cap, perhaps buy that plug, then make a resin layup over it (put resin in a cup, set plug with waxed threads down into it from top, >>> make a plastic cap)? Not metal, but...probably would keep fumes in if o-ring or gasket on inside...

Contributing Member

Thanks, John! See below.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L. View Post
    neat find, but somehow think he needed a cap, rather than a plug... I looked on that link for cap, didn't find, might be out there...

If needing a cap, perhaps buy that plug, then make a resin layup over it (put resin in a cup, set plug with waxed threads down into it from top, >>> make a plastic cap)? Not metal, but...probably would keep fumes in if o-ring or gasket on inside...
    Actually, that would work... ...I think.

I actually think it so much that I just ordered one of these:

The MS-S12 size (mild steel, and therefore in stock at only $3.81)

And a fellow Apexspeeder has offered me one from his Honda kit that he didn't end up using.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post

How in any reality is that at all sensible?
    Using that fuel cap is not required for the car to be legal. It is an optional item that the previous car owners chose to purchase. You can choose to buy another or not. Neither I nor HPD lost the part. It was your error. Making a big fuss about the cost of an optional part, after you made your error, is like complaining about the price of a new phone after you dropped your old phone in the toilet.
    Last edited by problemchild; 08.27.18 at 7:06 AM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Using that fuel cap is not required for the car to be legal. It is an optional item that the previous car owners chose to purchase. You can choose to buy another or not. Neither I nor HPD lost the part. It was your error. Making a big fuss about the cost of an optional part, after you made your error, is like complaining about the price of a new phone after you dropped your old phone in the toilet.
    Yes, Greg: i KNOW it was my error.

But that does not make HPD's CHOICE to use a custom built part into a sensible one.

Thread Information