Classifieds Super License Skelly's Avatar
    Liked: 82

Default water and oil temps for Fit Engine

Helllo everyone
    What are the min/max temps for the water and oil for the fit engine. And has anyone running on the west coast had a problem with the engine getting to hot without running a oil cooler.
    Thanks
    Sean

Contributing Member
    Liked: 473

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    Helllo everyone
    What are the min/max temps for the water and oil for the fit engine. And has anyone running on the west coast had a problem with the engine getting to hot without running a oil cooler.
    Thanks
    Sean
    Sean, I've been running an RF98 up here in Vancouver (Mission Raceway Park) in some pretty hot conditions, and my water temps haven't gotten past 190, and my oil temps have been about 20 degrees hotter than that running WITH an oil cooler.

As for the official numbers, pick up the "HPD L15A7 Engine Kit Assembly Manual", but I can tell you it says:

Water temperature minimum before going on the track - 75°C / 167°F
    Water temperature maximum – 100°C / 212°F
    Oil pressure minimum at idle / operating temperature – 340 kPA / 49 psi
    Oil pressure minimum at 5000 rpm / operating temperature – 490kPA / 71 psiOil temperature maximum – 140°C / 284°F

Classifieds Super License Skelly's Avatar
    Liked: 82

Default water and oil temps

rhank you for all the info. It will help getting the dash setttings updated and checked.

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Sean-
    keep the water temp as cold as possible.. The sensors see a hot engine, the ECU takes timing away. Regarding oil temp, the oil pan has a rather terrible design with several quarts in it while running being whipped up at full tilt RPM. The oil cooler is necessary to de-aerate the oil as well as bring it down to some semblance of normal temperature.

Hope this helps-
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Yes, you want the water cool. The ECU starts retarding timing over 20?, by 205 it's noticeable. Over 220 you risk hurting the motor. Over 230 you did hurt it. Fit in my Swift never had cooling issues and with NACA duct running lots of air thru the engine bay the oil temps never went over 240. In the Spectrum with the outboard rads water temps stay in the 190's but oil temps go much higher partly because engine bay temps are much higher due to air flow and more compact bodywork. I had to add an oil cooler to keep the temps down.

Thread Information