Liked: 67

Ok Gentleman and Ladies-
    Need some advice. I am 51 years old - 5"11" 210 lbs, looking to buy my first FF1600 to run SCCA in the Rocky Mt Division, and am located in So New Mexico. I have looked a Swift DB-1 but had a hard time crunched in the cockpit. I have been told a Lola, Crossle, Dulon, Reynard might be better choices. Any advice is welcome. I am looking to buy and am ready to race.

Liked: 0

Richard, I am about your size. 6'0 and 205-210 (depending on how long after dinner it is!). I tried some of the same cars you mentioned and just bought a Lola 540 a month or so ago. Seems to have plenty of room, especially through the arms and shoulders, where you can get "pinched" in the narrower cars. I have a friend that may be selling a mid 70's club ford that's in nice shape and has a lot of room. Don't want to say too much in case it isn't for sale, but if you're interested, e-mail me and I'll find out more.
    Happy hunting.
    Larry

Richard

See my add under cars for sale section, it is the 1985 Mondiale, great regional car.

I am 6' 1" 195 #'s and fit in this car very comfortably, has a large foot box as well.

Let me know if you are intrested.

Cheers
    Len

I have a Crossle 45F, updated in 2001. Only 16 races on chassis since 1981. These are great CF cars with easy access to new parts etc. I am 5'9/195 lbs & fit with no problem. Also, rollbar height is no problem.
    send email to me at rickjohnson&mindspring.com if you want to see pictures. I am in Atlanta GA.

Welcome & good hunting!

Richard, glad to see your choice of class! your going to LOVE it. are thinking about FF or CF ? if FF I would suggest you talk to Mike Sauce out of Texas he has EuroSwifts and I know that they have plenty of room Good luck
    Terry

Liked: 1

Richard,

Good choice in classes, .. FF and CF are AWSOME!

One thing to keep in mind, ..

I have a 96' Vector FF, .. not realy known as "roomy" cars, ;) I'm 6'2" and 205 lbs. before dinner. I made several "adjustments" to my car like a new fuel cell, .. moving the pedels, etc. to fit the car to me.

I would not discount the Swift DB1 or any car without talking to someone who works on these cars as there may be some simple modifications to get you to fit.

Curtis
    #42 FF

I can't thank all the racers out there enough for the responses. I appreciate the advice. I am fresh out of the Derek Daly Academy for Formula race cars- Three day high performance school in their full winged F2000 cars, so I feel the FF1600 will be ideal. I just want a comfortable ride. A good high quality car.
    Thanks again for the responses, keep them coming. My first race could be March 1st, SCCA Regional. Car must be able to pass SCCA Tech inspection. I sure would like to find something to buy.

Richard Dziak
    [email]sonewmexico@yahoo.com[/email] for direct e-mail box.

I heard of a Swift DB-1 driver who was 6'5" !! He probably had to make some modifications to the cross bars in the footbox area but it's possible.
    Last week, my 6'3" neighbor squeezed into my DB-1 and the crossing bars above the footbox would have to be modified for his feet in order for him to drive.
    I know there was a guy with a DB-1 for sale in AZ.

Bottom line - how competitive do you want to be? My DB-1 was my first car because I hoped to competitive on the National level at some point. A good CF will allow you to be competitive in Regionals but not in Nationals.
    Brad

Richard,
    Im 6'00 225 (on a good day).. My 88 Reynard with a bead seat fits great! Check out the two or three Reynards listed in the 'for sale' section of this board.

Gary Payne
    St. Louis

Richard,
    Great choice in class. I race both FF in my Vector and CFF in my 79 Dulon Mp 21. I am 5'11" and 225 lbs. Broad in the shoulders. I have the Dulon posted in "Cars for sale". Make sure to look past 30 days. I think Club Ford is a great way to learn at a reasonable cost both in initial purchase and then in longer lasting tire wear with the spec tires that most regions use.
    I specifically looked at Dulons when I started up again in racing for two reasons.
    One was for the roominess.
    Second was for the chassis. It is very substantial for the era and thus I feel a safer car in the Club Ford choices. Another benefit is extra stiffness which makes inputs to chassis setup very responsive.
    If you want to make the March 1 event, the car is ready. Delivery and track side help can be arranged for that event if you desire.
    Call or e-maile if you want some jpegs with the body off.
    Mike Maienza
    952-934-6804
    [email]maienzam@deephavenfunds.com[/email]
    Chuck Courter

Richard:

Do you want to race in FF or CF. This is the first question. If you decide on FF and want to be competitive then look at the late model VanDiemens (sp?). I believe they have some room for larger drivers.

Frank

Hi - If you budget can stretch to something newer, the the 1999-2002 Van Diemens all fit bigger drivers (especially if you run a pi club dash). I am 5'11 and have lots of room in mine (2001/2 model).

I want to thank all the drivers, car owners and others who have replied to this question. I have made a purchase and am excited about joining in the fun in the Rky Mtn Division. All racers and car owners who have responded have racing as a passion in their blood. You are all great people willing to assist in a hobby that is admired by a lot of people. Thanks again for being such a fine group.

Richard, You don't get off that easy. After all our help, don't keep us in suspense...what did you get?
    Larry :D

Larry and the group-

Remember I am a rookie so I wanted a starter car. I purchased a 85 Van Diemen from a racer in Colorado who has been active in the RKMT DIV. I think for someone entering this sport or hobby, seems there is a good selection of cars, appears the ecomomy may be having some effects on car sales, and presents some great opportunties. I was surprised at the price of an F2000 vs F1600 and seems the best buys are in the f2000, but also seems al lot of folks don't want the wings. So it was a good experience and nice to know that there is a community of racers always willing to assist one another, yet be frineds and competitive on the track. My first under SCCA will be March 1,2 and I am excited. I had a very regimented plan, and have succeeded in reaching this goal. So I am ready to start my engine.Larry hopefully we will meet at Firebird or PIR- Are sure you don't want to sell the Lola T540-- it is a beauty. HAHA

Thread Information