Thread: FIT alternator

Liked: 34

Default FIT alternator

Guys, my alternator failed in my last race (ball bearing closest to pulley) and the armature ground into the stator. I ordered a new one from HPD ($350! ugh). When it arrived, I tried to turn the shaft and it would not budge by hand. I got a wrench and after a fair amount of force, it moved. It does not spin freely by any stretch of the imagination and I need a wrench to rotate it. I called HPD and was told a lot of the alternators are like that. I can't believe this, well yes I can, it is HPD after all.
    The e-mail I received from HPD states:

Can you install the alternator pulley and see if the armature is still binding? I was told by the engineers that it may not be an issue. The design of the alternator uses the pulley to locate the armature.

How does a pulley align an armature? There are two bearings, front and back. I think HPD's response is total BS, but I am not much of an engineer or driver for that matter. LOL
    Any thoughts?

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 917

Does not make sense to me unless there is magic involved. i am an engineer but that really doesn't mater. This s abut common sense.

Liked: 313

I've taken a fair number of things apart in my life and I'd say you need to check it. It's possible that one bearing provides axial location and the other floats. That would make the length of the armature relatively non-critical and make the design cheaper to manufacture. Not worse, just cleverly cheaper.

HPD said that when the pulley is installed, the rotor will be positioned properly and spin more freely. I installed the pulley and it did indeed spin properly. I was nervous with this alternator because the one I needed to replace was about a year old (I believe) and the front ball bearing (closest to pulley) failed. The rotor wiped out the windings on the stator.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 917

If the bearing closest to the pulley failed, could the belt have been too tight?

Steve
    That is my thought also. The Honda has a pre-set tensioner. I may investigate that and see if it is within spec.

Thread Information