Liked: 14

Default Neo or Featherlite Trailer - which one should I buy?

I’m in the market for a 7’x16’ v-nose enclosed aluminum trailer. I’m seriously considering trailers from Neo and Featherlite. I will probably be ordering the trailer from the factory.

What experience have you had with either company?

Let me know and TIA.

Liked: 955

Either one will serve you well. The "extras" add up quickly.

Keep it simple.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 34

Featherlite. Do not do a wood floor.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by sevenselans View Post
    Featherlite. Do not do a wood floor.
    And practice ice skating. Every time Ive been in a trailer with an alum floor a drop of fluid had nearly put me on the floor.
    And the reflection from the alum ramp door will nicely tan the underside of your chin and inside your nostrils.

Liked: 34

Ask my friend about the wood floor in his trailer and how well it burned to the ground.
    chris

Liked: 804

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    And practice ice skating. Every time Ive been in a trailer with an alum floor a drop of fluid had nearly put me on the floor.
    I bought a Sundowner all-aluminum trailer with an extruded aluminum floor that has longitudinal ridges about .040 high and an inch apart, running full length of the trailer. Great traction, liquid is below walking level.
    Yeah, moving a wheeled tool box laterally is slightly awkward, but the benefits greatly outweigh that.

Quote Originally Posted by sevenselans View Post
    Ask my friend about the wood floor in his trailer and how well it burned to the ground.
    chris
    If something is on fire inside or below an alum trailer do you really think it'll be as good as new in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    I bought a Sundowner all-aluminum trailer with an extruded aluminum floor that has longitudinal ridges about .040 high and an inch apart, running full length of the trailer. Great traction, liquid is below walking level.
    Yeah, moving a wheeled tool box laterally is slightly awkward, but the benefits greatly outweigh that.
    That is a good feature. My experience is with Featherlites. Maybe the new ones have changed.

I don't mind having a wooden floor, especially since I'll be mounting the tie downs. Also, I have STP insurance, so if the trailer burns, I'll get another one.

Has anyone dealt with NEO Trailers? They are lighter than other aluminum trailers, does that mean lower quality?

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

I was considering ordering a Neo of that size, but decided that on such a small trailer, the weight difference between all-aluminum and conventional, was not worth the extra cost. By the time it is loaded up, what is the difference between weighing 6400 lbs or 6100 lbs. If worried about weight, just leave 300 lbs of stuff at home. Also avoiding the wait on having to order, I got a nice price on a conventional trailer off a lot. I ended up with the 5000 lb axles, which means bigger brakes and tires. I would prefer my extra cost go into bigger axles. Five years later, and towing at 80+ mph, and I have not touched the brakes or lost a tire. Everyone has different needs, but in the end, I was happy with the decision I made.

I expect the reason to go Featherlite, over other options, would be depreciated value over time would be better.

I have mentioned this previously, but the QC of axle placement on modern trailers has a huge window. I will not buy a trailer now without taking a 6 foot straight bar with me and laying it across the tires on each side. To see one axle steering left 1/4" and the other steering 1/4" right, is not uncommon. I would be uncomfortable ordering a trailer as I could not check this before committing. If you buy from a lot with decent inventory, you can select one that will tow down the road better. This may also be a reason I have been towing with 5000 lb load, at 80+ mph for 5 years, and not worn or blown out tires.
    Last edited by problemchild; 06.24.18 at 7:30 AM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

11. The following 4 users liked this post:

Thanks for the trailer axle alignment insight Greg - I appreciate it.

I'm going with an aluminum trailer so it doesn't rust out.

Liked: 78

Just as info, I have had really good luck with an Intech trailer bought a few years ago. The ordering and build process was very detailed. Great finished product.

http://www.intechtrailers.com/

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 208

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    I was considering ordering a Neo of that size, but decided that on such a small trailer, the weight difference between all-aluminum and conventional, was not worth the extra cost. By the time it is loaded up, what is the difference between weighing 6400 lbs or 6100 lbs. If worried about weight, just leave 300 lbs of stuff at home. Also avoiding the wait on having to order, I got a nice price on a conventional trailer off a lot. I ended up with the 5000 lb axles, which means bigger brakes and tires. I would prefer my extra cost go into bigger axles. Five years later, and towing at 80+ mph, and I have not touched the brakes or lost a tire. Everyone has different needs, but in the end, I was happy with the decision I made.

I expect the reason to go Featherlite, over other options, would be depreciated value over time would be better.

I have mentioned this previously, but the QC of axle placement on modern trailers has a huge window. I will not buy a trailer now without taking a 6 foot straight bar with me and laying it across the tires on each side. To see one axle steering left 1/4" and the other steering 1/4" right, is not uncommon. I would be uncomfortable ordering a trailer as I could not check this before committing. If you buy from a lot with decent inventory, you can select one that will tow down the road better. This may also be a reason I have been towing with 5000 lb load, at 80+ mph for 5 years, and not worn or blown out tires.
    Are you saying that the axles are not "square" to the direction of travel?
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 3322

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Z. View Post
    Are you saying that the axles are not "square" to the direction of travel?
    That's exactly what Greg is saying.
    Dave Weitzenhof

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information