Contributing Member
    Liked: 100

Default Licensing question

So a question about getting reinstated with a national license. Started with SCCA IN '82, got my national license in maybe '84. Ran Nationals for 25 years, attended 1 runoffs in '93 at Road Atlanta, and 11 runoffs at Mid Ohio with one podium finish. From 2006 thru 2012 ran mostly F2000 pro stuff with a Gold Cup win in Cleveland sometime around 2007. I think I have a good journeyman resume over 30 years. Anyway, I last sat in the car in 2012, just turned 65 and I'm thinking, if I don't get back in now it may never happen. So I'm wondering, how onerous is it to get my license reinstated. I know I need a current physical, new helmet and seatbelts, etc. But what would be required to demonstrate proficiency? Drivers school? A few regional weekends? I've been told by the F2000 series that they would give me a USAC license immediately. So I guess I could do a few of those and then use those races to apply to SCCA. But what if I wanted to go straight back to the Club?

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 135

Contact your Divisional licensing steward. They can approve a racing license for you directly. Still need that medical, etc.

Liked: 359

Mark,

Contact the GLDiv Driver Licensing Admin, Maurice LaFond. mrl1070@yahoo.com 440-946-2207
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Default Piece of Cake

Mark,

I had a very similar situation 3 years ago. What I did was contact the divisional license chairman, told my story and requested a waiver. Fortunately, he remembered me and immediately emailed me and national the requested license waiver. I got my physical, emailed it to national and gave national a call. With the waiver and physical in hand the very nice licensing lady at national took my credit card # and gave me a new 2 year full competition license. Took 2 weeks start to finish for my license to arrive in the mail.

Easy as pie.

Welcome back
    Steve

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Olivola View Post
    Mark,

Contact the GLDiv Driver Licensing Admin, Maurice LaFond. mrl1070@yahoo.com 440-946-2207
    Thanks Peter. I know Maurice. I'll give him a shout.

Liked: 3325

Hey, Mark! Welcome back - even though I'm not running SCCA Club races. Enjoy the return!
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member

Just thinking about it Dave. I never really "quit". The last time I stepped out of the car I thought I'd be back in it in a few weeks. I do have concerns about getting back in after a 6 year layoff though. Can I still be as competitive as I'd like? Additionally, for me it was always 1/2 racing, 1/2 social. And with my old teammate and roommate Bill Jordan retired I don't know how much of the social aspect of the equation will be gone. And if I do find out the whole thing isn't fun anymore then I would be "quitting" and that would be depressing. I've always dreaded the thought of someday having to step out of the car knowing it was the last time. If I leave things as they are right now, I'll never have to experience that. This all might sound silly to some but I think that any "lifers" like you and me understand what I'm saying.
    '

9. The following 4 users liked this post:

Yeah, I certainly do understand what you're saying. It will definitely be a big void in my life when I eventually have to retire from racing. For me though, it has always been much more about the competition than the social aspect. Competition, in one form or another, is what has always kept my blood flowing. The social aspect is enjoyable and fun, and Sherrie especially enjoys that, but for me it's something that I've never sought out. I've always been too focused on the competition side.

Having said all that, I think you need to go do it again to see how you feel. One thing I'm sure of is that you never lose the ability to drive well if you once had it. It's like riding a bicycle - you just don't forget how to do it.

So I say "go for it."
    Dave Weitzenhof

11. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

I would like a shot at winning
    the monkey back. Hope you still have him.

Liked: 29

You may want to consider vintage. Huge spectator events at M-O, Indy, Road America....The social aspect is great and the racing is good. I'm 71, this will be my 48th year in the sport, and it is a perfect fit for me.

Jim Gustafson

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mark defer View Post
    I would like a shot at winning the monkey back. Hope you still have him.
    He's sitting in my office looking at me right now... He seems excited.
    Dave Weitzenhof

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License John Green's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gustafson View Post
    You may want to consider vintage. Huge spectator events at M-O, Indy, Road America....The social aspect is great and the racing is good. I'm 71, this will be my 48th year in the sport, and it is a perfect fit for me.

Jim Gustafson
    I agree with Jim. I am in a similar situation at 66 years old. Vintage looks fun, competitive as you want it to be and social.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Yeah, I certainly do understand what you're saying. It will definitely be a big void in my life when I eventually have to retire from racing.

Dave,

We never retire from racing. We just move to a different form. When being at the pointy end of the grid is no longer in the cards, but the desire is there, come join us in vintage racing. It's fun, and racing with the older cars is a hoot. (It takes us back to when we started so many years ago.) Most of our group is well north of 60 with at least half being north of 70. The venues are great and the stress level is lowered.

Take care.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3787

Mark,

I'll have to talk to Jim Morgan... We could be your crew and social directors.
    I know a photographer that could record the return tour for history.

Somehow for a guy that held the lap record at M-O, I don't see you doing anything but a serious effort.
    More the reason to have experienced crew like Jim and I involved.

If you race FRP, I'm sure you still have an "FRP License".

Red number 8 returns!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

markey Mark,

Get back out there. No worries Cole took 4 years off and was just fine.
    I took all those years off and came back just as slow as when I left.

Contributing Member

I have a good customer who vintage races FF and he seems to love it. I may consider that in the future. Uncle Jim and Frog, you guys are funny. Cole is just a "tad" younger so I don't think he is a good comparison. What about you 2 guys, don't you consider getting back in the car from time to time? Do you still have cars? That's another thing, I considered selling the rolling stock a few years ago but I thought if I sold it, I'd never get another one. Except for a short time when I made the switch from stock to formula cars, I never not owned a race car since 1972..

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Mark,

My Swift is now a Honda FF. Been running myself since Cole retired. He has come back for a few runs last couple of years. We have a decent group of FF in the SE. Most of the FC disappeared.

lost your number call me
    954-931-4331
    Last edited by jim morgan; 06.04.18 at 10:11 PM. Reason: add

Thread Information