Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

The basic Challenge Cup format was developed in the early 80s. I was at the first test in 1980. Any theories of extra wear-n-tear on components was disproven long ago. The reduction in loads actually reduces wear-n-tear and breakage.
    On our FFs with Toyos, I regularly run them backwards (unidirectionally speaking) in the dry to equalize wear patterns without the cost of remounting. Although you will never get a tire manufacturer to admit it, for liability reasons, you will need a lot more than 60 hp to undo any compromises from unidirection construction, which is normally only a concern on initial installation anyway.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 30

Hi Greg B,
    Reckon that you can count Megan in for he race at Roebling she was already excited about the Birthday event and with this one as well the trip becomes more compelling. With the CC deciding late to go to Watkins Glen in September it will be cheaper for me to come down there, buy the rims and tires have her run the race with you guys and then the Birthday bash, than pay for her to get emancipated in order to let a 17 year old race in NY.....
    Brent

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 9

Default Come on down.

Quote Originally Posted by BGilkes View Post
    Hi Greg B,
    Reckon that you can count Megan in for he race at Roebling she was already excited about the Birthday event and with this one as well the trip becomes more compelling. With the CC deciding late to go to Watkins Glen in September it will be cheaper for me to come down there, buy the rims and tires have her run the race with you guys and then the Birthday bash, than pay for her to get emancipated in order to let a 17 year old race in NY.....
    Brent
    Great news, thanks.
    Honestly, I am amazed at Megan's skill at any age, much less 17!
    If you are going to Charlotte, I could get them to you to try on the test day.

Please send an email to info@driverzcup.com and I will arrange.

Liked: 844

Quote Originally Posted by LukeTesterman View Post
    Toyo did confirm that the tire is not discontinued and also was replaced long ago by better design. I did point out how I was misled by many different car forums with posts stating the tire was discontinued around a similar date. I am curious what the date code on the sidewall of the tires you're testing was?
    Don't know what date code Greg has on his tires, but I DO know that I ordered a set last week and received them yesterday.. MY date codes are 3 @ 3617 and 1 @ 4817. That means 2 things .. the tires are less than a year from 'build' and that there were at least 2 batches made last year that are only 12 weeks apart. That indicates to me that the tires are in "current" production.. not sitting around on shelves for the last 10 years.

I wonder though.. did Toyo indicate to you what "new design" this tire was replaced with? .. and whether or not it was in the SAME SIZE?
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Not sure how many are following this thread, but it happens that I am headed for Mid Ohio this weekend and COULD bring up a set of DZC tires/wheels if someone were going to be there to pick them up for a test somewhere. You would need to be responsible for getting them back to Greg at some point. When that would be .. would be between you and GB. I plan to get to the track some time on Thursday afternoon. If it matters, I am also PLANNING to be at Charlotte the following weekend .. as is Greg, last I heard.
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Not sure how many are following this thread, but it happens that I am headed for Mid Ohio this weekend and COULD bring up a set of DZC tires/wheels if someone were going to be there to pick them up for a test somewhere. You would need to be responsible for getting them back to Greg at some point. When that would be .. would be between you and GB. I plan to get to the track some time on Thursday afternoon. If it matters, I am also PLANNING to be at Charlotte the following weekend .. as is Greg, last I heard.
    I will be at Charlotte but I would not need them back unless someone wants to try them at the Charlotte Test Day. The more feedback, the better.

Liked: 20

Any updates, new information, comments, etc. following the series' first event having taken place?

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrary View Post
    Any updates, new information, comments, etc. following the series' first event having taken place?
    The DZC Test Day went VERY well for a first event. We are all still here for the FV55th event with VDCA. The DriverzCup.com website will be updated with event details after we get back home.
    Steve, FV80

11. The following members LIKED this post:

BLS

Liked: 304

News on the website, Laura Hayes won the inaugaral race by a foot.
    https://driverzcup.com/

I have purchased the wheels, which are beautiful, and tires which are remarkable looking. I had hoped to get to Savanah for this but events transpired to keep me away.

I see on the website, news that one set of tires now has 25 heat cycles and going strong (getting quicker). Combine that with the low cost for a set, roughly $250, and you basically have negligible tire costs. And almost the same diameter as the slicks...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information