Thread: FTR issue???

Liked: 9

Default FTR issue???

Having trouble getting the FTR to shift into reverse??? It is a pneumatic paddle shift and first engages without an issue but it will not go into reverse. The car idle is high and I wonder if that may be an issue??? New to me so I have no experience with this box or car...

Liked: 39

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
    Having trouble getting the FTR to shift into reverse??? It is a pneumatic paddle shift and first engages without an issue but it will not go into reverse. The car idle is high and I wonder if that may be an issue??? New to me so I have no experience with this box or car...
    Maybe there’s an issue with the reverse lockout plunger? Remove the plunger and see if it shifts into reverse?

Quote Originally Posted by petawawarace View Post
    Maybe there’s an issue with the reverse lockout plunger? Remove the plunger and see if it shifts into reverse?
    I can get the unit into reverse if the motor is not running. Once it is started it will not go in...That's way I think it is related to the high idle. I do not have access to the car this weekend or I would try lowering it and see what happens???

Liked: 530

Using the clutch would negate any high idle issue

paddle shift still need to pull the release for reverse lockout

Liked: 286

Many paddle shift systems require a lockout button (sometimes labeled neutral, or wired as a clutch pressure switch) to be pressed to shift out of neutral (up or down) when the engine is running.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    Many paddle shift systems require a lockout button (sometimes labeled neutral, or wired as a clutch pressure switch) to be pressed to shift out of neutral (up or down) when the engine is running.
    Yes, the car has a neutral button which must be held in while selecting reverse with the left shift lever. The button works as advertised but the car will not select reverse when the motor is running only with the motor shut down

Liked: 282

Something needs to lift the detent so that the box can shift into reverse. Generally this is cable operated. Does your neutral button operate the detent? Alternatively, the detent plunger may not be present and the paddle system may be electronically preventing the accidental shift to reverse. How does your system function?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Michael View Post
    Something needs to lift the detent so that the box can shift into reverse. Generally this is cable operated. Does your neutral button operate the detent? Alternatively, the detent plunger may not be present and the paddle system may be electronically preventing the accidental shift to reverse. How does your system function?
    In order to shift the box into first or reverse you need to hold down the neutral button on the steering wheel and pull on the upshift paddle (for first) or down shift paddle (for reverse). The neutral button is your lock out...

Liked: 282

Ok, if the reverse lockout is electronic, then you need to start digging into the software for your solution. Any documentation from the paddle shift manufacturer?

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
    Paul, what kind of system is it? I have experience with Hewland and Geartronics for the FTR, but all should operate in a similar fashion. When the engine is running and you try to get reverse, is the shift actuator operating at all? Do you hear gear grinding? This would help us to determine if it's a shift system issue or a gearbox issue. It's very common for the paddle shift system to operate differently when the engine is running and when it is not. Finally, how high of an idle are we talking about?

Brandon

Thread Information