Liked: 47

For Sale 1968 McLaren M6B Can-Am

'68 McLaren M6B Can-Am. Lucas injected 357 ci sbc with 550 dyno hp and 480 ft-# torque, Taylor prepared Hewland LG600. History known since 1977. Run out of shop since 2008. For information: Don Blenderman, 713 941-1025, TX, speedstarinc@sbcglobal.net

Price reduced to $199,000. Yes... there is a story which is why the ask is $199K versus $299K plus. The history is known from the 70;s and you can run it anywhere but, the chassis number is in question.

Full history document and lots of photos on hemmings.com

www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/mclaren/m6b/1942663.html
    Last edited by speedstar; 03.28.18 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Price Reduced

Liked: 44

Default Worked UOP in the 70's

But WOW, awesome car. I wish I had the cake.

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

SLICK

are those March wheels?

Liked: 502

Holy Mother of God !

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 94

Wow!
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 649

C'mon Power Ball!

9. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 39

Default McLaren M6B Can-Am

Now that's a car that brings back some great Can Am memories from Laguna Seca. What excitement watching Bruce McLaren and Denny Hulme in the orange cars, Lothar Motschenbacher in his red cars, Mark Donahue in the immaculate Sunoco blue and yellow McLaren and of course the 917/30 Porsche and all the other great drivers that competed in that series; Mario Andretti in the Honker, Dan Gurney, George Follmer, Jackie Stewart in the Lola & Chaparral and Jim Hall in all his Chaparral creations with his buddy Hap Sharp etc. etc. That was a great series for unlimited race cars and some fun races to watch. But without a doubt the most exciting race I ever saw there was John Cannon, an English born racer representing Canadian racing winning a Can-Am race against much newer racers. He drove an old McLaren M1B-Chevrolet a three-year-old car. John lapped the entire field in the rain at Laguna Seca in 1968, including the mighty Team McLaren. I wore myself out running back an forth from turn 4 to turn 8 in the pouring rain, getting soaking wet, to take in as much of the race as I could. It seems like it was just yesterday in my mind. I'm sure there are some of you out there that remember those races as well.

I want that car too!!

Default and the Chaparral broke a crankshft ending Surtees misery

John Cannon very smartly ran some English or European rain tyres that weekend! Clever guy!

His son is a Indycar race engineer i beleive

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 71

I too remember seeing CanAm in person, back in the day. Seems I saw John Cannon driving in F5000 also. Those were some great series. TransAm too.
    BTW, I got a ride in a '67 M6 McLaren last summer. 3 laps, at speed, High Plains Raceway. Oh my god. Brutal. I could not imagine how those guys could race these for 200 miles! Best ride along I've ever had!
    Steve Barkley
    1969 Palliser-Winkelmann WDF1 FF1600

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Default hijacked thread

Cannon was the F5000 Champion for Starr Racing i think

last saw him at Pocono in an Aguiapo? Bros. March powered by a BOP aluminum block

Liked: 19

Beautiful car, my only issue is a McLaren M6b with 11 years of missing history. Weird.

Default not suprising

Quote Originally Posted by porsche.steve View Post
    Beautiful car, my only issue is a McLaren M6b with 11 years of missing history. Weird.
    the value of a lot of these Can Am and F5000 cars dipped to what one would consider today near zero once the respective series died and the cars languished

i was offered a McLaren MkII complete with trailer for $1800! But stuck with my Alexis FF LOL

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 502

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post

i was offered a McLaren MkII complete with trailer for $1800! But stuck with my Alexis FF LOL
    lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Second reply

I worked for Shadow 1973, the racing was awesome. I miss the big hulking CAN-AM cars...they were the ultimate.

Liked: 1

Default Can Am

My friends, THAT was racing in its purest form. The drivers were easily approachable and humble. The racing was close and exhilarating as there was always that element of danger right around the corner. Lastly, the cars made the earth shake. I remember the pace laps at Riverside and Laguna; brings goose bumps even now.

I raced a lot of different cars but never did get my butt into a Can Am or F5000 car. Would give testicular tissue right now to drive one.

Awesome memories!!!!
    Can Am Forever!!!

Flat

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Default 1968 McLaren M6B ... Price Reduced

Price Reduced ... Asking $225,000 OBO ... Possible trades

Quote Originally Posted by speedstar View Post
    '68 McLaren M6B Can-Am. Lucas injected 357 ci sbc with 550 dyno hp and 480 ft-# torque, Taylor prepared Hewland LG600. History known since 1977. Run out of shop since 2008. Asking $265,000. For information: Don Blenderman, 713 941-1025, TX, speedstarinc@sbcglobal.net

For Sale Big Price Reduction on Can Am McLaren M6B

Price reduced to $199,000. See link to Hemmings ad with history and lots of photos below.

Quote Originally Posted by speedstar View Post
    '68 McLaren M6B Can-Am. Lucas injected 357 ci sbc with 550 dyno hp and 480 ft-# torque, Taylor prepared Hewland LG600. History known since 1977. Run out of shop since 2008. For information: Don Blenderman, 713 941-1025, TX, speedstarinc@sbcglobal.net

Price reduced to $199,000. Yes... there is a story which is why the ask is $199K versus $299K plus. The history is known from the 70;s and you can run it anywhere but, the chassis number is in question.

Full history document and lots of photos on hemmings.com

www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/mclaren/m6b/1942663.html

Default Mind blowing

Oh lord let me when the lottery

Liked: 41

Can AM brings back a lot of memories. The best one is from Mid-Ohio. I was inside the track against the fencing just past Start. Thundering start and big cock-up in the first turn. A number of cars off in the grass by going straight ahead in the left hander. One car remains in the grass. Shortly after, Peter Revson exits the car and comes walking back to Start alongside the track past where I was standing (just think of doing that today!). He was holding up a massive half shaft in his hand. Definitely angry and looking like he was going to brain somebody with it when he got back to the pits.
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

Liked: 115

Default Hulme crash - 1972

I was standing by the fence at Road Atlanta on the back straight when Hulme's McLaren flipped upside down while closely following Follmer in the 917K20. Follmer was subbing for Mark Donohue because his car had done the same thing earlier that week and Mark was injured. Hulme's car started shedding parts at an alarming rate. Because it was on the straight there were no corner stations or workers close by. Several spectators jumped the fence and helped him out of the upside down car. Amazingly, he was essentially unhurt but you could see his bell was thoroughly rung. I couldn't believe he was alive, much less intact.

Follmer had never been to RA when the Captain called him to do the race for Mark. They went around the track in a rental car early the first day of official practice. George won the race. "Let George do it".

Like many of us, I've never seen anything so wild and thrilling as the CanAm. I worry about the wealthy gentlemen vintage racers who own and drive these brutal cars these days at vintage events. Craig Bennett was seriously injured a couple years ago driving the 1974 Shadow DN4. Lucky to have survived. He's back driving it again.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 27

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    Cannon was the F5000 Champion for Starr Racing i think

last saw him at Pocono in an Aguiapo? Bros. March powered by a BOP aluminum block
    Replying to an old post but - don't actually know anything about Cannon in the March, but earlier, in SoCal, the Arciero Bros. (they were general contractors iirc) sponsored a lot of race cars, including Dan Gurney? maybe they are who you're thinking of?

I also remember John Cannon beating much newer "better" cars in other races, and it wasn't always in the rain!

- Gerhard

Liked: 18

Default CANAM ! My God ! The name alone is magic.

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard_k View Post
    Replying to an old post but - don't actually know anything about Cannon in the March, but earlier, in SoCal, the Arciero Bros. (they were general contractors iirc) sponsored a lot of race cars, including Dan Gurney? maybe they are who you're thinking of? &lt;br&gt;<br>
    &lt;br&gt;<br>
    I also remember John Cannon beating much newer "better" cars in other races, and it wasn't always in the rain! &lt;br&gt;<br>
    &lt;br&gt;<br>
    - Gerhard
    &lt;br&gt;<br>
    CANAM ! The absolute halcyon days of unlimited sports car racing. No rules. Design it, built it, race it. Find a driver to drive it. The Bruce and Denny Show. Never, ever, to be duplicated. Who has the words to adequately describe the moment when the green flag drops ? You HAD to be there. Fortunately, a few years later I acquired an M8F to campaign in SCCA's A Sports Racing. Bill King, fuel injected, Reynolds Aluminum bullet tucked in the back. 805 on the dyno. Dominated the Division. My ticket to the Runoffs. Pouring rain. A bloody deluge. I'm no John Cannon. Looped it between 5 and 6 on a downshift with mismatched revs. Finis. Centerpiece at Omaha Auto Show and Gala. Hors d'oeuvres served on the rear wing. As the song says, "Those were the days, my friends, those were the days !" Cheers !

31. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1880

Quote Originally Posted by porsche.steve View Post
    There unfortunately are a quite a few fakes out there that are also missing many years of history.

Thread Information