Liked: 447

Default 2018 Sim League Race 2 - March 7th - Mid-Ohio

After a decent turnout at Indy, we will be heading to Mid-Ohio in March! Come on out and race!

26 Lap Race

RESULTS POSTED HERE

Last edited by Keith Carter; 03.09.18 at 12:34 AM.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

I'd like to ask the group... Do we want to leave tire wear as it is which will bring in a pit strategy or should it be turned off entirely? In the server options for tire wear, it can be set for 1x, 2x, 3x, etc... but there's no way of lessening it from the "Normal" wear setting.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 442

As long as pit stops can be preset in the setup window unlike at Indy I am okay with leaving it.

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    As long as pit stops can be preset in the setup window unlike at Indy I am okay with leaving it.
    They cannot. I believe this is due to the mod itself. Just like when changing tires, you have the pit team jack up one side of the car and then the other side of the car and it takes a long time.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

So if you pit during a race it's full fuel and tires added then?

Contributing Member Jerry Santucci 33's Avatar
    Liked: 1

you can set fuel, it is a pain, but it can be done.
    one way is to set it on the grid.
    second way is after you request your pitstop do it on the fly
    third way is get in your car in the garage/pitlane and request a pit stop. leave your pit screen up. now hit esc. pull up your garage setup. lets say you want 2 gal as your starting fuel, which you can do in your garage setup. and 2 gal at your first stop. hit your plus sign a couple of times next to "Stop 1" now hit race and sit in your car, with the screen up you will see like .4 gallons. hit esc. go back to garage and go up and down accordingly/repeat procedure until you have the fuel load that you want. then SAVE the garge setup. go test it.
    warning: if while in your car you hit the up arrow to get the 2 gallons then hit escape, you will lose that amount next time in car. been a while, but i think this works..
    i like no pit stop - but - i will go with whatever you guys decide....
    Seeeeeeeeeeeeee Ya --- Jer
    "Use to be" --- CF #33

Liked: 341

The tire degradation for that mod is very disappointing. They got so much of the formula car experience right. They have two things wrong. You cannot trail brake a formula car like you can in the game and there is no way those tires wear that badly that quickly.

Given that it is not really well situated to make pit stops and the wear is absurd, I am in favor of turning off the tire wear. While it may mean that people run bizar setups that you never could in real life, oh well. I think having no tire wear will be closer to real life performance than the way it is currently simulated.

Just my preference.

Oh, and I just ordered a new controller that should be here next week so hopefully that problem will be behind me as well.

Eric Little

I think my concern about non-realistic setups came from the old Nascar Heat days when the game was based on an stock car game and the F2000 mod didn't have realistic limits on what suspension settings could be done. rF2 doesn't have that and the settings have realistic limits so maybe it's not a concern at all anymore.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

eric - what kind/make of controller did you get????
    "Use to be" --- CF #33

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Santucci 33 View Post
    eric - what kind/make of controller did you get????
    Thrustmaster TS PC and the T3PA pedals.

Reviews of it seem pretty strong. Can't be worse than my old logitech momo wheel. I got it to play the old 'indy racing' title. That game came out in 1993. I don't think I got it too far off that date so that wheel is 20+ years old. I guess I got good value out of it to have it last this long.

Eric Little

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Stats

Keith,

I know that last year, there was a page here where one could see the lap times of all those that have run to that point. Do you still have that for rF2? Just curious to see how far off the pace I am with the new wheel and pedals.

Eric Little

The software I used for rFactor was never recreated for rFactor2 unfortunately. It was a mix of the hot laps app and the living timing app that I really miss. I have a race manager on the server now that I use, but it's not a set it and forget it type of setup I had with rFactor. I have to manually start the services and set the ports every time the server reboots. It's kind of a pain, but it's what I used to create the race summary from the first race. Currently you and Stephen are the only two that have logged laps since the league started and you're fastest with a 1:22.29.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Thanks Keith. I always just wonder if that means I am in the ball park or if you and Roger will be turning something in the 21's (or lower ).

Guess we will find out soon enough.

Eric Little
    Last edited by Eric Little; 02.27.18 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Because sentences end with a period oh yeah.

Thats great race pace Eric

Damn it!

I know how to lose a half second but other than taking the short-cut before the keyhole, I am not sure where to gain another half second.

At least with the new wheel and pedals, I am much more consistent. I can regularly turn times in the 22.3 to 22.4 range. The old wheel and pedals was one fast lap and struggle to get within 0.5 of that.

Should make the race interesting. Off to play with setups again.

Oh, and in addition to Roger and Keith destroying my lap time within 5 laps, I also have Jerry who by the end of qualifying always seems to find a way to the front. And I suspect it won't be long before the others are up there too. Time to jump the start.... again.

Eric Little

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    I think my concern about non-realistic setups came from the old Nascar Heat days when the game was based on an stock car game and the F2000 mod didn't have realistic limits on what suspension settings could be done. rF2 doesn't have that and the settings have realistic limits so maybe it's not a concern at all anymore.
    Where did we end up on this? Let em wear and play strategy of pit or not or turn it off? I did a 20 lap race against AI at home and the drop-off is significant. According to the wear indicators in the game, at lap 20, the right front was about to part ways with the car. Is MO really that aggressive on tires?

Eric Little

21.938. I am getting closer. Please tell me that was a 21.699.

Oh well. This is kind of fun. I think I have the setup as good as I am going to get it. Getting the front to bite here is difficult. Car understeers like a pig. Have been playing the fine balance of aero grip and mechanical grip. That seems to be the key for turn 1. The keyhole is a stupid amount of patience that I do not poses and madness is about precision (also... something... I don't posses).

Think I will try using the grass left of pit entrance as my apex next.

Eric Little

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Little View Post
    Where did we end up on this? Let em wear and play strategy of pit or not or turn it off? I did a 20 lap race against AI at home and the drop-off is significant. According to the wear indicators in the game, at lap 20, the right front was about to part ways with the car. Is MO really that aggressive on tires?

Eric Little

Seeing that the tire wear is nowhere near realistic for what it should be for sprint races and that there isn't an easy way to pre-determine pit stop values, I'm in favor of turning tire wear off. Does anyone object?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

20. The following 3 users liked this post:

Nope that way I can run that 15deg of camber I like!!!

Agreed. The tire wear is absurd in this mod. Kill it and let us race.

Eric Little

agree three........

having listen to above, i must start to practice.

Eric, bravo - new pedals and wheel and you are faster so soon - well done man.
    "Use to be" --- CF #33

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Little View Post
    21.938. I am getting closer. Please tell me that was a 21.699.

Eric Little
    It was something like that 21.689 but i only did maybe half a dozen laps.

Aside from Roger, Jerry, and Eric.. Who else can we expect to be there next Wednesday?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Aside from Roger, Jerry, and Eric.. Who else can we expect to be there next Wednesday?

Anyone other than crickets? We had such a good showing for the first round and this track is far more entertaining to drive. How 'bout it? Who is in?

Also, if you can all do a favor, if you go into the server to run testing and you invite AI to the track, please boot them out before you leave. Why? Because those AI stick around and run the race even if you are long gone. At the moment, the race is set to 1500 laps. With lap times right about 1:30, that is the 37.5 hours of MO. If you then try to get on the server while the race is running, you have to wait in the queue until the current event ends (I was too tired after waiting a day and a half so my 1:21.9 was a bit off what I could do if more alert ).

Eric Little

I just made a change to the server config so that it won't keep racing when only AI is on the server. I changed the race laps to 26 as well.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

I just made a change to the server config so that it won't keep racing when only AI is on the server. I changed the race laps to 26 as well.

Was kind of looking forward to 1500 laps. Was going to ask that you turn off the fuel consumption too so we can do it without stops as one 37.5 hour sprint race. Plus, in 37.5 hours, I think it a pretty good bet that you, Roger, and Jerry make at least one mistake that maybe I can benefit from.

Eric Little

29. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 4

I'm planning to race [have 2 sick girls in the house, we'll see]. I've never been around MO [THANKS ERIC for helping me with the setup!]. It's painful being so slow I hope I'm inside the 110%. If not, I'll bow out. Haven't been on a real track in 12 years - it sure is a wonderful teaching tool - fun too!

31. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 2

Cant make it tonight :/ Still in Northern Michigan for the last week of winter test but I should be abe to make the rest of the events.

Liked: 0

Unfortunately, I can't make it tonight. I have to leave for training tomorrow early.

Thread Information