Thread: ignition timing

Liked: 2

Default ignition timing

I tried searching for a method on setting timing, but nothing was coming up on the words I was using. This is the first time I have had to time the car,

Does anyone have a method for setting these 13b motors. Even the stuff I found in other places were talking about the cm sensor ngle, which we do not have on the car. I though OI saw that we should use a 20 degree total advance. I do have a timing light with the dial that allows the advancing. Sorry for the novice question, but need to figure out a detonation issue at high speed.

Thanks, Steve

Liked: 286

You should contact Daryl Drummond, at Drummond Engines, http://www.drummondengines.com/

I'm sure he can help you.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Liked: 16

Default Ignition timing

Steve,
    You should be running no more than 15 degrees. There are four marks. -10,0,10,20. Connect to the lower front plug and use the light as per normal.
    Dale McCallum
    Last edited by dmccallum; 02.19.18 at 3:28 PM. Reason: Typo

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Default thank you

Dale
    Exactly what I needed. Appriciate the help

Quote Originally Posted by dmccallum View Post
    Steve,
    You should be running no more than 15 degrees. There are four marks. -10,0,10,20. Connect to the lower front plug and use the light as per normal.
    Dale McCallum
    Dale
    I used the info you supplied and timed the 2 cars today. Found they were totally opposite. On car was about -5 and the other was about 20. The one at 20 was the one that had what Moses advised may have been detonation. I tried to get to about 15 degrees while adjusting and found one of the vacuum advance housings hits a projection on the block. Is there a trick to deal with this, or just remove the diaphragm housing as they are not used? My other thought was to pull the distributor and rotate one tooth and reinsert to gain more space.
    Appreciate any help for a novice.

Liked: 16

Steve,
    Send me your email and I will send you a picture of the distributor in the car so you an see the proper orientation of the distributor. It sounds like it is at least one tooth off.
    Dale
    dmccallum@energygrahics.com

Thread Information