Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

Default Computer Battery

I need to change the battery in my desktop. I am getting a low battery voltage warning.

Hopefully there is someone out there savvy enough to answer the $64 question: Depending on which web dsite I read or which "expert" I ask I get differing answers on having to write down all the bios settings then somehow restore them when I put the new battery in.

Changed one many years ago and did not have to do this.

Dell Optiplex running XP. Purchased factory refurbished from Dell and no changes to BIOS have been made.

Thanks in advance

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 910

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    I need to change the battery in my desktop. I am getting a low battery voltage warning.

Hopefully there is someone out there savvy enough to answer the $64 question: Depending on which web dsite I read or which "expert" I ask I get differing answers on having to write down all the bios settings then somehow restore them when I put the new battery in.

Changed one many years ago and did not have to do this.

Dell Optiplex running XP. Purchased factory refurbished from Dell and no changes to BIOS have been made.

Thanks in advance

"Dell Optiplex running XP. "

Time to change the desktop methinks.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

3. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 447

I'll second upgrading to a PC from this decade. You can get something very competent at running Windows 10 for $150 when they have promotions going on https://www.dellrefurbished.com/

If not, try these steps....

1. Hopefully you have a backup of all you care about. If not, do that first.
    2. Leave PC plugged into AC power
    3. Touch frame of PC to ground yourself before touching anything else
    4. Replace battery

If you needed to record all the settings and PC freaks out after changing the battery, do the following:

1. Put on ground outside
    2. Pour gasoline on computer
    3. Light on fire
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

5. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 35

Being XP your bios settings are going to be very basic, so I would just check the drive access settings to see if they are IDE, RAID or AHCI. Power off the machine, pull the cord, open the case, pull out the 3v battery and replace. On the first boot afterwards hit F2 and set the date and time, and the drive access type if needed. Should boot just fine after. Being a Dell it might complain about a missing floppy drive, if so you can go back into the bios and disable floppy (if you don't have one) Most likely all you'll need to do is set the date and time (if that)

It ain't rocket science.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

No it aint rocket science. Took about an hour and that included fighting with the case to get it back on. Only BIOS seting that changed was date and time .

Thanks for the advice. And one of these days I will move up into this decade.

Thread Information