Liked: 58

Default Slicks, rains and/or wheels

Like the title says, I'm looking for slicks, rains and or wheels. I am new to FV and have no rubber for my car. I'm looking for servicable midpack regional tires (not just round ones).
    I could also use some good, straight wheels.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Liked: 852

Dave,
    Considering your location, I just wanted to make sure that you are aware of the FV Challenge Cup Series. They run a custom wheel with a treaded street tire in their series. It would eliminate a separate set of rains .. and if you are interested, would change the WHEELS that you seek. One of the members (I think Dean Curtis) generally holds a set from the most recent 'group buy'. They run within SCCA but use their own 'supps' to allow the wheels with agreement from the various regions involved.

Check it out at https://challengecupseries.com/

Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Thanks, Steve. I am aware of the Challenge Cup and really like some of its direction. I might consider a set of those wheels/tires to get through school and get used to the car in general. Not sure yet. I'm aware they bring with them some handling differences and I want to step carefully with my race budget.
    1993 Citation FV
    NEFV - 2022 Champion
    NERRC - 2022 Champion

Liked: 852

Dave,
    If money is tight, CC is your best bet. ONE set of tires & wheels will cost you less and last longer .. and give you a better handling car probably than 'free' tires that you might get given too you. Certainly, for a beginner, you can't do any better since TRACK TIME is the key to success in racing . Considering the success of the Challenge Cup, you are unlikely to encounter many 'real' FV at any NON-CC events in NEDIV unless they are MAJORS events. You will also get LOTS of support from the CC group of drivers. NEDIV has THE BEST support for new drivers in the country from what I've seen. I assume you've also seen the NE-FV website?
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

I have seen their site. In fact, many of the NEFV community have been extremely helpful and are the reason I bought the car! It's a great group. I am certainly trying keeping all options on the table.
    1993 Citation FV
    NEFV - 2022 Champion
    NERRC - 2022 Champion

Contributing Member
    Liked: 83

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    Dave,
    If money is tight, CC is your best bet. ONE set of tires & wheels will cost you less and last longer .. and give you a better handling car probably than 'free' tires that you might get given too you. Certainly, for a beginner, you can't do any better since TRACK TIME is the key to success in racing . Considering the success of the Challenge Cup, you are unlikely to encounter many 'real' FV at any NON-CC events in NEDIV unless they are MAJORS events. You will also get LOTS of support from the CC group of drivers. NEDIV has THE BEST support for new drivers in the country from what I've seen. I assume you've also seen the NE-FV website?
    Steve,

In NEDIV, our fields in regional FV at several race weekends were the largest, beating out Spec Miata and SRF. We had over 20 entries at some events, and the class continues to grow. Dave is one of the new guys.

John

Contributing Member
    Liked: 481

Dave,

I was reading through one of Carroll Smith's book and I think Mike H might be a little tight on his specs for what is a "good" wheel. Talk to him and I will get back to you when I look up the specs.

I have plenty of tires to get you started and I am sure more will come available as we get closer to the season here in the NE.

Let me know if you are going to try and do the school at Thompson - unfortunately that will come up quick.

I will be in touch,

ChrisZ

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 148

DAve
    I have run both Tire options back to back. Steve is correct the C/C package feels like worn slicks
    and are good option for school.
    Both groups run a great show and will be very helpful
    Challenge Cup has a set of Rental wheel/Tire packages at all races.
    They also have a low cost member option for new or one time racers.
    Any track time is important, so get out there!!
    Sherman

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information