Liked: 30

Default New engine in FE

FE class, welcome to the SCCA endless BS!
    You too are now lucky enough to have new engines that will legulate your? 2.3L to "regional" class unless you update.
    As many of us have declared in days gone by, "Bummer!"

Contributing Member
    Liked: 77

Default Bummer indeed

Sold my FE quite a while ago thankfully. The motor is one thing, that new tranny must be mighty pricey. Anybody know the costs?
    Hybels

Liked: 307

SPEC is another word for HOSTAGE!

Liked: 218

So, haters, how many years should a spec package remain static? We've had the same package for 15 years and you'll be able to go for 2 more. Math tells me that's 17 years. Please tell me the magic number that you'd like. 20, 30, 50? This same package was around longer than one of my drivers has been alive.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

5. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 43

Trans is about $9500. It also isn't required. Trans has long been known as the weak link in an otherwise bulletproof car. While nobody wants to spend money replacing parts, I believe most in the class welcome this change. Racing is constantly changing, either update your car or become irrelevant. Witness the demise of the FC class. There is thread after thread on this forum about how to equalize a 40 year old pinto motor to a 25 year old zetec while others argue against the modern Mazda mzr.

I think there are very few spec racers complaining about gen 3 upgrade now. Hard to argue with the success of spec racing. FE had more entries at runoffs than any 2 other winged classes combined. Between SM, SRF, SRF3 and FE that's like 1/3 of the total runoffs entries!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 77

Default Updates

I'm probably the last guy that should be commenting as I've been out for a long time but I would note that FF went over 40 years with the same motor until Honda decided to fix things and of course the Honda is very cost effective in the long term. Coincidently though there are a lot of FF's that have disappeared from the NorCal region and entries are really low. Of course there are many influences at work there.
    I think FE is a great car and I'm surprised at the Runoffs turnout. For some reason there are very few running in my region.
    I hope everything works out well for FE. Another 35 horses should add to the merriment.
    Hybels

Liked: 227

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Finlayson View Post
    Trans is about $9500. It also isn't required. Trans has long been known as the weak link in an otherwise bulletproof car. While nobody wants to spend money replacing parts, I believe most in the class welcome this change. Racing is constantly changing, either update your car or become irrelevant. Witness the demise of the FC class. There is thread after thread on this forum about how to equalize a 40 year old pinto motor to a 25 year old zetec while others argue against the modern Mazda mzr.

I think there are very few spec racers complaining about gen 3 upgrade now. Hard to argue with the success of spec racing. FE had more entries at runoffs than any 2 other winged classes combined. Between SM, SRF, SRF3 and FE that's like 1/3 of the total runoffs entries!
    I argee 100% with the point you are making, but you either need to check your math or you made a typo regarding Runoffs entries. FV, F500 and FF all had more entries than FE.

Liked: 98

Quote Originally Posted by cory mcleod View Post
    I argee 100% with the point you are making, but you either need to check your math or you made a typo regarding Runoffs entries. FV, F500 and FF all had more entries than FE.
    The key word there is "winged". In statistics, it all depends on how you define your categories.

Liked: 43

Wondering why 3 people who don't race in the class would take the time to go on a public forum and make disparaging remarks about the class.

Liked: 180

Quote Originally Posted by SStadel View Post
    So, haters, how many years should a spec package remain static? We've had the same package for 15 years and you'll be able to go for 2 more. Math tells me that's 17 years. Please tell me the magic number that you'd like. 20, 30, 50? This same package was around longer than one of my drivers has been alive.
    Steve - Not to throw fuel on the fire over here in FE as we are waging our own battles on the FC side. But the answer I hear is the these classes are created to a formula and look how well Formula Vee is doing with things being so stable.

Believe me not sure what the answer is but I feel for the situation.

Liked: 447

Considering bang for buck out of all the winged classes, it's the biggest reason there were so many cars at the Runoffs and why the class is growing (at least in the CenDiv). You get as equal of a formula car as you can get with controlled costs and is visually appealing (wings). If spec racing like this with racing this close is hostage, then I welcome it. The change of gears (pardon the pun) with this new gen FE is just bad timing in my opinion since the class is really gaining momentum in our area. It's going to mess with car counts the next couple of years as cars make the transition...

All FE bashing aside...

In all the debatable posts I've watched over the years on ApexSpeed I find it fascinating that a lot of vocal individuals on certain topics usually don't have a direct relation to do with the topic whatsoever. I'm not saying this is the case in this post since I only know a few usernames from memory, but it may be... Sometimes people don't have the car or car part being discussed, don't race with the sanctioning body being discussed, or are just plain uncompetitive and aren't relevant to discussions debating performance\parity. Just an observation of forum discussions overall...

Silly season in full swing!!!!

Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by Keith Carter; 01.12.18 at 11:05 PM.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

13. The following 5 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License dsmithwc04's Avatar
    Liked: 178

I just sold my FE because I know I can't afford the engine and certainly not the gearbox. That being said, I still love the class and when I return to racing I bet you'll see me in an FE. Enterprises looks to have put a lot of time and commitment into doing their best to make the transition as smooth as it can be. I still believe FE is the best class of all the open wheel classes for many reasons. Hell, my engine in my car was last serviced 7 years ago and was one of the strongest engines in the field.

I don't know of ANY other class that has folks like Primus Racing Parts, Comprent Motorsports, Alliance, and One Formula ready to help do whatever they can for the drivers.

Also, the group of FE drivers in the CenDiv are some great folks to race with and I will surely miss the comradery off the track.
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 502

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    Considering bang for buck out of all the winged classes, it's the biggest reason there were so many cars at the Runoffs and while the class is growing (at least in the CenDiv). You get as equal of a formula car as you can get with controlled costs and is visually appealing (wings). If spec racing like this with racing this close is hostage, then I welcome it. The change of gears (pardon the pun) with this new gen FE is just bad timing in my opinion since the class is really gaining momentum in our area. It's going to mess with car counts the next couple of years as cars make the transition...

All FE bashing aside...

In all the debatable posts I've watched over the years on ApexSpeed I find it fascinating that a lot of vocal individuals on certain topics usually don't have a direct relation to do with the topic whatsoever. I'm not saying this is the case in this post since I only know a few usernames from memory, but it may be... Sometimes people don't have the car or car part being discussed, don't race with the sanctioning body being discussed, or are just plain uncompetitive and aren't relevant to discussions debating performance\parity. Just an observation of forum discussions overall...

Silly season in full swing!!!!

Merry Christmas!
    True.
    I would submit for your consideration that some not in SCCA, or racing in the class being discussed may be would be, or transitioning over if some of our concerns are addressed. If you feel that those outside SCCA , or outside of the class in discussion should remain silent, maybe you should consider that could be counter productive to growth. I race a CF with ProAutoSports and SVRA, but raced FC in the early 2000s and would like to go back at some point. Should I not opine in the SCCA FC discussion?

Also, as fas as participating in the SCCA discussions, I will submit that the reason PASA and NASA own road racing here is that for a mulitude of reasons, SCCA in AZ is autocross only, despite 4 previously run tracks and huge car counts at other events and year round great racing weather.
    Last edited by marshall9; 12.14.17 at 4:51 PM.

Liked: 447

Stating ones opinion is totally fine even if it is based on the remote chance they were to partake in the class again. No need to remain silent. Non-stakeholder's opinions shouldn't matter as much on the topic, but being a forum like this there isn't really a way for discussion participants to know who is a stakeholder and who is not. That's just my opinion... The thing I find mind blowing is where people get into debates on subjects and write page long diatribes when they don't have a dog in the hunt. I just find it humorous...
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4363

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    The thing I find mind blowing is where people get into debates on subjects and write page long diatribes when they don't have a dog in the hunt. I just find it humorous...
    What would Apexspeed be if everybody was well-informed, intelligent, and minded their own business?
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 59

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    What would Apexspeed be if everybody was well-informed, intelligent, and minded their own business?
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 4

Default FE2 video

Does anyone have a video of the FE2 yet? Prospective class newcomers could greatly benefit from "seeing the future". Especially when it comes with a not unsubstantial price tag for the upgrade. I know during the early conversion of SRF3, a video [with sound] was available - generated a lot of excitement [lighter, faster, SOUNDS/REVS more like a real race car, etc.]. I DO like the comments above regarding the predicted much lower maintenance of the new box.

Classifieds Super License dsmithwc04's Avatar
    Liked: 178

I don't have a video of the FE2 since I did not upgrade. However, here is an unfinished video I made to build excitement for sponsors for my FE1. If somebody did this for the FE2 next year that should build some excitement for sure.

https://youtu.be/HDw7bRg_Klg
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information