Liked: 36

Default Motec M150 Throttle Blip Setup

We're trying to set up auto throttle blipping for downshifts on a Honda City race car for the Thai Endurance Series. M150 ECU with the GPR upgrade and an H-pattern shifter. Now I know you want to say "just tell the driver to heel & toe", but we can't do for cultural reasons. Kind of like if it was Bernie Ecclestone driving your car. Unfortunately we've already blown up at least a couple of transmissions. Soooooo...

I can't find any documentation on setup of the gear shift subsystem on a Motec ECU. No videos on the Motec site or Youtube, nothing in the manual. I can find people on the internet asking & answering advanced questions, but no introduction, overview, or tutorials. Does anyone know where I might find such things?

We're thinking of using the clutch pressure sensor as a substitute for the gear lever strain gauge, and the brake light instead of a downshift button. Is there any chance this could work? We don't have time to outfit the shift lever with a sensor, and we don't want the driver to have to press a button to blip the throttle.

Any help would be appreciated.

-JJ

Liked: 1880

Have you tried contacting Motec directly? I would think that that would be your best bet for information.

Liked: 286

Jim,

It will be a real challenge setting up the GPR package on a H-pattern transmission. I've done several GPR and GPRP with sequential transmissions, so I know the rev-matching possible (with our without DBW throttle) is really fantastic.

-- First, you don't have a gear position sensor -- so it's impossible to know when you are in gear.
    -- Second, if the driver is using the clutch, you can't even get the channel Gear Position Estimate to work, since the clutch must be engaged.
    -- You really need to produce two signals that represent "upshift" and "downshift" -- Not sure how you are going to do that with the H-pattern, but perhaps some logic that includes the brake light would work. I still think you wamt a strain gauge (or at least switch) in the shift lever.
    -- You will need to log a lot of shift channels (if using a MoTeC dash, load the comms template "M1_Paddle_Shift_0x630_Version 1"), otherwise, enable level 2 logging in your M150 and log Gear Ratio, Gear Ratio Estimate, Gear Shift Throttle Aim, Gear Shift Engine Speed Limit, etc...
    -- the best place to ask these questions is probably the MoTeC User Forum found at: http://www.motec.com.au/forum/ for example here is a thread about detecting gear ratios on a Honda: http://www.motec.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=3714 that would be relevant to your problem.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Liked: 36

Default Motec M150 Throttle Blip

Thanks for the quick replies. This gave us some things to think about which we are working on now. Before we do anything else, we need to see if we can get the Gear Estimate to work, and see what happens to it when the clutch is disengaged. I tried to register on the Motec user forum, but it didn't like my proposed password enough times that it's making me sit in the corner wearing a dunce hat for a while.

-JJ

Thread Information