Contributing Member
    Liked: 49

Default Wheels for Zink Z10

Can anyone recommend a source for wheels for a Zink Z10? It's a 4 x 130mm bolt pattern with about a 2.75" backspace. Ideally looking for a set of good used wheels, but I'm willing to go with new if that's what it takes. Currently the car has what looks like Panasports, but according to Keith Averill, there's nothing available from them currently.

Liked: 3

Does the Zink really use that pattern? I thought I had read that they used the 4 x 3.375 pattern, but don't ask me where I read it.

Either way, you may try ICP/Citation in Indianapolis (RPare is a forum member). They were the Zink manufacturer before becoming Citation.

(317) 273-0089, www.icpcitation.com

Liked: 1880

Z10 came both ways, with the majority the 3 3/4" pattern. It was just a modification of the original hubs.

Liked: 611

Default wheels/Z-10

This car was a kit, a Z-5 is the number I recall, thus the odd bolt pattern.
    Keith
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 956

The Z-10 used VW type 3 uprights, stub axles, hubs, front rotors. The later ones had 3-3/4 bolt circles drilled and tapped to allow for more wheel options. My 74 Z-10 (orignally owned by RB Haynes) also has the 130MM bolt circle. I'm fortunate to have spare wheels.

There was some past discussion in the old FF underground threads about the 3-3/4" modified VW rear hubs failing. Larry Oliver offers a very nicely crafted 3-3/4 ICP rear hub conversion kit to avoid this problem if you want to go to 3-3/4" bolt circle wheels.

Another alternative is Kodiak wheels drilled and built to your specs.

James Wooldrige has the Z-10 original parts lists and setup data on his webpage. I also have Steve Lathrop's setup data sheet for modern tires using stiffer springs and lower ride height.

http://members.cox.net/woolyaz/Citation.pdf

You are welcome to any information I have. Just email me for what you are looking for.

Regards,
    Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 3

I think some of the new FFirsts may be using that bolt pattern, if it's one of the VW patterns. Check with DRE (630-213-1010).

FWIW, my Tiga has been converted to use these same rear hubs, redrilled to 3 3/4". I have replaced three so far in a season and a half, and I've had to re-torque them about every two or three races. I have a cheap source for them and a good local machinist who modifies them, but I think I'll be calling Larry soon.

Liked: 115

Quote Originally Posted by kea
    This car was a kit, a Z-5 is the number I recall, thus the odd bolt pattern.
    Keith

Most Z10's were sold as kits - including the one now owned by Dan Wise. Rollin Butler assembled this car for his buddy, RB, and did one for himself as well, of course. I bought mine from Scott Chapin and it was one of the few assembled at the factory - by Les Parker, God rest his soul. I took mine to the Runoff's three times (should have been four). I wish I could find it again. BTW, Dan's car was sold to Jim Brookshire after Jim won the FV national championship in '76. FF was quite a group in those days.

JG

Liked: 1880

If you buy new hubs, make sure that they are the German variety. Most of what was available for many years were the Brazilian ones, and they are guaranteed to fail.

Contributing Member

Default How can you tell?

Richard,

Is it obvious by looking at a hub whether it was made in Brazil or Germany?

Phil,

Some of the parts I have found on the market were Brazilian. Some were marked "Brazil" in the casting, others were not. Most of the German built parts I found are marked "Germany". Buyer beware. The parts supplier links I gave you usually indicate the source countries of the rotors and hubs.

Some of the sandrail shops in SoCal are having their own hubs made of steel according to one of the FV guys I know.

http://www.roadsters.com/sandrails/#sources
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

Default Source for wheels

So what is a good source for 3.75 bolt circle 2.5" backspace wheels. VTO has wheels for Triumph and Lotus that have the correct bolt pattern but only a 20mm backspace. That would put the wheels about 1.5" out further.

Rob

Liked: 98

My Z10 had Revolution wheels.

4 Spoke Classic Race Wheel

These can be ordered in a variety of bolt patterns and backspaces.

I'm not sure who sells them in the US.

Liked: 11

I need a set as well. They are early Porsche 914 pattern, if that helps. Eventually Porsche went to the 5 boly, same spacing. I believe they still are. If I kill one more rim, I'm done. Suggestions?

Liked: 1403

Panasport wheels were used as well as Revolution on the Z10. You might check to see what is still available. The classis version of that wheel could easily handle the large VW bolt pattern.

Contributing Member

Back when this thread was started, I looked into getting Panasports drilled for the 130mm pattern and was told it couldn't be done. I'd love to hear it if that's not correct.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    Back when this thread was started, I looked into getting Panasports drilled for the 130mm pattern and was told it couldn't be done. I'd love to hear it if that's not correct.
    Keith Averil has panasports to fit, I am ordering a set today. At least in the 3.75 bolt pattern.

Rob

Liked: 611

Default Z10 wheel

Phil,
    I will check to see if any changes have been made in the F/Ford wheel so we could make them in that large bolt circle you require.
    If available I will contact you.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 12

Default 2 Complete Sets Panasports 4 x 130mm Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    Can anyone recommend a source for wheels for a Zink Z10? It's a 4 x 130mm bolt pattern with about a 2.75" backspace. Ideally looking for a set of good used wheels, but I'm willing to go with new if that's what it takes. Currently the car has what looks like Panasports, but according to Keith Averill, there's nothing available from them currently.

I am parting out my Zinc 10C and have 2 complete sets of Panasports Wheels 4 x 13 mm painted black.

Also :

1 Complete Set of UNSED Hoosier Wets ... Just purchased a month ago from Appalachian Race Tire.
    1 Complete Set of Hoosier CF Tires with 5 Heat Cycles.

SOLD!!!

Looks like I have a buyer for the whole lot...

Thanks Apex Speed!
    Last edited by johnmarkgray; 11.10.17 at 2:15 PM.

Liked: 679

John,
    Sorry to hear about your ARRC crash. Buy Hartley's DB-1!

As for the need for wheels, Joungbloed will make wheels to your spec, most likely. Just take his cost estimate and time to completion figures with a grain of salt. The wheels are good, but not cheap.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Thread Information