Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Liked: 33

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McCarthy View Post
    Larry,

In the NER, most tech inspectors don't bother. They ususally look to see if the car has had an annual and stamp the logbook. Generally they want you to present the book to them open to the page to stamp.
    So... only some rules need to be enforced ? My region even has a spot to check for it on the annual tech sheet and as per the head of tech I do need it (I don't just complain, I do actually ask & communicate with my region & SCCA). Larry is correct, must be with the log book and available at all times.

Again, no issue in producing it when issued your first log book, just that you need to ever again and it cost $200 for a copy of a paper SCCA already has.
    John H.
    Reynard 88SF

Liked: 2

When I ran at a regional last year, I did have to produce the homologation form with the logbooks and the annual tech sheet. I thought that was strange since the logbooks I handed over to the guy (reluctantly...) had history of the car racing in the SCCA since the day it came off the boat. I guess I was lucky to still have it.
    Man will race anything. It's in his blood. His Soul. He must.

Kurtis C. Shirley MacLane FV (sold), Lola T644 (sold), Murray FK1 FST (sold), Vector MG-95FF (sold), PRS 82F (sold), Lola T340... AKA PRS82F

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McCarthy View Post
    Larry,

In the NER, most tech inspectors don't bother. They ususally look to see if the car has had an annual and stamp the logbook. Generally they want you to present the book to them open to the page to stamp.

I got asked twice last year for mine, once at NJMP & then at NL, once was by the guy that had issued the logbook a few weeks earlier. I just keep it and a copy in the notebook with the logbooks just in case.
    Thom
    Back to fenders=SRF

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

It's easy to say most tech inspectors don't look for the certificate, until you run across that one hardass who's willing to send you home for not having it. They are out there, and we all know it. If the rule says you must have it in the log book, you have to be prepared for someone willing to draw a line in the sand over it. Raise your hand if you've ever had a tech inspector write a log book notation for a missing 3/4 view photo of your car. <hand raised.>
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 19

hand raised.....

or i dont see 4/5 threads on that bolt...umm your right you dont its a jet nut on the end of the bolt with 2 showing ......
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Hand raised--high

In a recent appearance as a driver, I had a tech inspector tell me that I needed new photos because I painted my car a different color. As a steward, I didn't make an issue, but just nodded "yes." We all have plenty of things on our racing "Do Lists" that are higher than fresh photos. Oh, well...

Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 272

Default Certificate

I think that the certificate was meant to be part of the cars permanent record - like a cars service record. Its important to some and not others as a history of the car. I've always told people to use a photocopy with the latest logbook and keep the originals safe. I heard of a DB1 owner that had all the logbooks and cert. back to the 84 or 85 Runoffs stolen with a trailer that were irreplaceable as the cars history.
    I've never heard of anybody turned away because of no certificate on a log booked car but I'm sure someone will come up with an example.
    I've brought the fee issue up a couple of times as a back-burner issue to change and it will get sorted out. I do know that the older Denver records are in storage and somewhat difficult to sort (not computorised). We sorted Sean out in the meantime and will deal with it at the next BOD meeting.
    Phil

Liked: 308

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    It's easy to say most tech inspectors don't look for the certificate, until you run across that one hardass who's willing to send you home for not having it. They are out there, and we all know it. If the rule says you must have it in the log book, you have to be prepared for someone willing to draw a line in the sand over it. Raise your hand if you've ever had a tech inspector write a log book notation for a missing 3/4 view photo of your car. <hand raised.>
    The sad part about some of our 'officials' is that they are nothing if not officious. Individuals that have so little 'power' in their daily lives that they think they are now King of the World when they get into a SCCA position that has a little power. Having power and using power are two totally different exercises....it takes a lot of skill to use power and accomplish goals. Using power to create total disruption requires no skills at all.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 272

Default Officials

I think that there is little tolerance at the top of our Club (BOD) for "un-customer friendly" activities. If it happens contact your Director - you elect them.
    I've been on the receiving end as well so I agree totally. We gotta start with stewards (too many of them and out of touch with current racing for the most part) and work down. We need young blood with enthusiasm (average age of a steward is 62) for change - not 'thats the way its always done'. Theres a few tech official issues but far fewer than there used to be.
    phil

Liked: 36

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Creighton View Post
    I've never heard of anybody turned away because of no certificate on a log booked car but I'm sure someone will come up with an example.
    Here's your first example. Apparently they won't let you do the runoffs without one because the one I have for my DB-1 was faxed to Road Atlanta 10/10/93 and signed off on by a scrutineer there by the name of Phil somebody lic 1017XX (one of my pet peeves is you can't read half of what's in my log books because the writing is so bad). Being a faxed copy the quality is so bad you can't read the car model or year because it shows up as a solid black box.
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default Update 2017

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm curious if anyone else besides Sean has had any luck in recent years getting their homologation certificate lost/replacement fee reduced to a more reasonable $100. The original certificate was lost for the 2006 West sports racer I purchased last year, and SCCA is still quoting me the $200 replacement figure.

Regards,
    Jon Jeffords

PS: here is a copy-paste from post #93 in this thread with Sean's resolution:

For anyone who cares my situation has been resolved.

I received a very nice, personal email from Jeff (SCCA President) that explained why the fee was $200 (older cars do not have the certificates stored in the computer and have to be found... apparently this can take hours, even days). My car did have the certificate in the system so it was a simple process to print it. They dropped the fee from $200 to $100.

Liked: 268

Default Scca

Too many of them were hall monitors in grade school and never got over it!

13. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default Update: $100

Just a final update to my February post above: I did get the "reduced" fee of $100 because my 2006 West was in the SCCA computer database.

When I proudly presented it last week during an annual inspection, the tech inspector said "We don't need to see those anymore."

Liked: 996

Jon,

The GCR is pretty clear on the issue (9.2.2 pg 67). If you car complies with the appropriate roll hoop design nothing more than the log book is required. If you are running a car that has an "alternate design" for the roll hoop structure you either need a compliance letter or certificate issued by SCCA that the structure is satisfactory, or if the car was previously homolgated that certificate can be used. Hopefully (i guess) you needed the Homologation Certificate for that reason.

John

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information