Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Default Toyota 4AGE part question

Forgive me, this is a street engine question/part request, Toyota is of no help so...

A friend of my son is rebuilding a 4AGE out of a 1st gen MR2. He lost/broke one of the banjo bolts that hold the crank oil squirter in place. The local Toyota dealer can't find either the bolt or the squirter in their system, they suggest it may be a JDM part.
    The difference between a standard 8MM banjo bolt and this part has spring/ball anti-backflow internally.
    My questions:
    Anyone have one of these lying around?
    Is the backflow spring/ball really necessary (I.E. can he use a standard banjo bolt)?

TIA
    Steve
    Here's what it looks like

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 168

Default ?

Where does this go? Have a 4 AGE apart (street car) and don't see any banjo bolt or "crank squirter". Looks a bit like something on the oil filter housing that takes oil off to water-oil cooler (actually heater for cold start up)... I run with that system blocked off on both the ITB and street cars, just a big bypass of oil from engine (dumps back into pan)....but that's a different issue, perhaps...

Didn't see anything matching description/picture on the factory parts fiche I got back in 85....

If a "std" bit, should have something around shop...just need to know what/where to look...

Sure seem like it might be JDM bit....or something different than described?

Bob L.

Late Braking Member

Default Squirters

Here is the squirter

I can't find a picture of the block, but I recall that there are 2 of these and I think they are on the same surface as the oil pan.

Thanks
    Steve

Liked: 324

May be part of the supercharged MR2? I don't remember seeing squirters on my 1st gen 4AGE
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

-John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M

Late Braking Member

I appreciate the links, I've been down the google path to many dead ends. I'm trying to help out a 16 year old potential gear head/racer build his motor. My ideal solution is the proper spring and ball banjo bolt or an informed idea for a replacement. Any insight along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Liked: 30

Try these guys;

https://www.driftmotion.com/Oil-Squi...TE-p/dm951.htm

It looks like they recommend replacing them all (6) as the check valve springs loose tension over time.

Late Braking Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joules5 View Post
    Try these guys;

https://www.driftmotion.com/Oil-Squi...TE-p/dm951.htm

It looks like they recommend replacing them all (6) as the check valve springs loose tension over time.
    Thanks! That doesn't look like the right size but I never thought to search for the generic "oil squirter banjo bolt"! Many new leads now.

I'm still wondering if Atlantic 4AGEs use these...

Steve

Liked: 30

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
    I'm still wondering if Atlantic 4AGEs use these...

Steve
    Perhaps a question for Hasselgren or Loyning's who between them have probably seen most of the Toyota Atlantic engines at one point or another.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

what I would look at, which was mentioned in the links, is to look at a later engine, rather than the 'year' you may have asked the dealer for. It is likely that the engine had been swapped at some point in the past. !st gen MR2s didn't have these but later 4AGEs did..

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
    I appreciate the links, I've been down the google path to many dead ends. I'm trying to help out a 16 year old potential gear head/racer build his motor. My ideal solution is the proper spring and ball banjo bolt or an informed idea for a replacement. Any insight along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M

Late Braking Member

John,

Thanks. When I went to the dealer, we went through all the years that the 4AGE was available in the US with out any luck. It looks like the driftmotion.com folks are my ticket, they appear to be more knowledgeable than my local Toyota dealer. I'll update if and when I get the parts.

Again, thanks
    Steve

I wasn't sure if you looked at the other Corollas or (?) vehicles that had a 1600 engine (SOHC or DOHC). Glad you have a potential source.

I would imagine that you could just block them off since most US cars didn't have them.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M

Thread Information