Liked: 0

Default Club Ford/Vintage

I'm looking to buy a CF for vintage racing. I know nothing about the rules, anything that I need to be aware of before buying a car ?
    Such as, what is too new ? Are there some makes that won't qualify for SVRA ? etc.

thanks for your help.

Liked: 13

Default Perfect racecar

I have just finished a rebuild on a 1978 Van Diemen; engine - bearings, rings, valves, springs, seals. New water expansion tank. New clutch, ring & pinion, shift rings, gears in case are 19/32 - 22/30 - 24/28 - & 26/26. Spare gears are 18/34 - 22/28 - 25/27.
    New shifter u-joints - new gauges - oil temp &oil pressure (duel) water temp each are mechanical also an electric RPM gauge. New removable steering hub with new U-joints. fresh black aluminum sides body work is ready for color. SCCA number is 022686. asking $17,750.00 - PM or call 914-576-1916 car is at Formula Haus in Hagerstown, MD

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Mike,

While most vintage clubs now accept Club Fords, not all do. And even if they do have a CF class, their exact definition and preparation rules may vary a bit. (e.g Are aluminum heads permitted or not.)

You can use www.the-vmc.com to do some research about organizations you might be racing with. The Member Organization page gives you links to each and from those respective sites you can investigate their specific CF rules.

Monoposto Registry has become sort of a defacto rules maker for FFs and CFs. For instance, RMVR simply adopted their CF rules when we started allowing CFs. Also, the Monoposoto CF section gives a very good listing of the most acceptable makes models of likely CFs. Generally they are '73-'81 cars which have outboard suspension on at least one end.

Happy shopping.

Bob Alder
    (If you're the same Michael Rankin, your old Bobsy SR-6 is now in Denver racing with RMVR.)

Liked: 83

Default Go to the race organization rules first

As Bob said, and as I learned when I bought my first FF/CF, rules vary from organization to organization on cylinder heads, tires, shocks, etc. Figure out first if you want to race SCCA or Vintage; you prob should not plan on both. Then figure out where you want to race geographically. Then look at the organizations in your region and see who races those tracks and when. Choose the organization that best fits the racing YOU want to do, then check their rules and buy the appropriate car complying with those rules.

David

Liked: 492

Default FF

If you haven't made up your mind by then, come over to the SVRA Open Wheel weekend at Indy June 8 - 10. There will be lots of F Fords of all types, maybe even some for sale. You can look and most people will be happy to let you try them on for size.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by Roland V. Johnson View Post
    If you haven't made up your mind by then, come over to the SVRA Open Wheel weekend at Indy June 8 - 10. There will be lots of F Fords of all types, maybe even some for sale. You can look and most people will be happy to let you try them on for size.
    +1
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Default Bob Alder

Quote Originally Posted by Robert J. Alder View Post
    Mike,

While most vintage clubs now accept Club Fords, not all do. And even if they do have a CF class, their exact definition and preparation rules may vary a bit. (e.g Are aluminum heads permitted or not.)

You can use www.the-vmc.com to do some research about organizations you might be racing with. The Member Organization page gives you links to each and from those respective sites you can investigate their specific CF rules.

Monoposto Registry has become sort of a defacto rules maker for FFs and CFs. For instance, RMVR simply adopted their CF rules when we started allowing CFs. Also, the Monoposoto CF section gives a very good listing of the most acceptable makes models of likely CFs. Generally they are '73-'81 cars which have outboard suspension on at least one end.

Happy shopping.

Bob Alder
    (If you're the same Michael Rankin, your old Bobsy SR-6 is now in Denver racing with RMVR.)
    Bob, I'm the same...how and when did my Bobsy get to Denver ? I sold it to a guy in Atlanta.

Michael Rankin

Contributing Member
    Liked: 269

VRG follows Monoposto Rules with a few exceptions, most notably head must be iron.
    SVRA allows Toyo tires, Monoposto does not.

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rankin View Post
    Bob, I'm the same...how and when did my Bobsy get to Denver ? I sold it to a guy in Atlanta.

Michael Rankin
    Check it out here. After Mr. Ward (who you sold to) it came to a Denver fellow, Tom Quaranto last year.

Hope you find a nice CF. Vintage FF/CF racing is great. Another opportunity to check out the cars would be the RMVR Charity Race Weekend (July 29-30th) where we've had an ALL FORUMLA FORD invitational grid for several years now. We've had 40ish+ cars, from vintage to even the new Honda FFs (only one or two). Most of the field have been vintage FF & CFs with a few more contemporary FFs (Pre-Honda). That's not as soon as the Indy event and not as many car to check out, but closer for you to travel. Plus, you might get to see your old Bobsy. I'm sure Tom would love to visit with you.

Liked: 126

Default CF

I disagree with some prior posts, I believe the BEST thing about Club Ford is to race with both SCCA and Vintage. You get more tracks, different racers, and twice the opportunities to have fun! I raced my Crossle 40 actively with both SFR SCCA and VARA/SVRA. You do need to take the time to confirm your local vintage club's CF rules as some allow aluminum heads, alloy rims, slicks, reservoir shocks, data acquisition, and some do not. I just set my car up to the more restrictive Vintage rules, and was still able to take my local SCCA CF championship with it. It's the best bang-for-the-buck class out there.
    TroyT - SFR SCCA, VARA, CSRG, SVRA
    www.ThingsThatGoVroom.net
    '00 Carbir CS2, P2 #60
    '79 Lola T492, S2 #61

12. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Robert J. Alder View Post
    Check it out here. After Mr. Ward (who you sold to) it came to a Denver fellow, Tom Quaranto last year.

Hope you find a nice CF. Vintage FF/CF racing is great. Another opportunity to check out the cars would be the RMVR Charity Race Weekend (July 29-30th) where we've had an ALL FORUMLA FORD invitational grid for several years now. We've had 40ish+ cars, from vintage to even the new Honda FFs (only one or two). Most of the field have been vintage FF & CFs with a few more contemporary FFs (Pre-Honda). That's not as soon as the Indy event and not as many car to check out, but closer for you to travel. Plus, you might get to see your old Bobsy. I'm sure Tom would love to visit with you.

Michael
    Not wanting to hijack this thread. It's Tom Quaranto the current owner of Bobsy SR 6 #18. Ward sold me the car last April as he was unsatisfied with how SVRA had classified the car. I think he had troubles with set up as well, he complained of "twitchy handling"'.. When I got the car the set up was way off. Long story short the car is now very competitive and fun. Hope to see you some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsy SR 6 View Post
    Michael
    Not wanting to hijack this thread. It's Tom Quaranto the current owner of Bobsy SR 6 #18. Ward sold me the car last April as he was unsatisfied with how SVRA had classified the car. I think he had troubles with set up as well, he complained of "twitchy handling"'.. When I got the car the set up was way off. Long story short the car is now very competitive and fun. Hope to see you some day.
    Tom. Glad you are enjoying the car, when I had it I had a former Haas engineer do the set up and it was great and car was very quick.

Michael Rankin (lived in Denver in the 80's, race Pueblo, Steamboat, Second Creek, Woody Creek, and a track in Longmont)

Liked: 64

Michael,
    Welcome,depends on what your after? Club Ford is a great class to learn car control and racing! You can race both SCCA and SVRA. You will need at least one axle with outboard shocks. SVRA allows aluminum heads. you can have a very fast car. Look for a 81 Van Dieman, a Royale,RP31, a 81 Tiga. All great cars. I have a Merlyn MK-025 which is at a disadvantage to those mentioned but is an absolute joy to drive. I also have a AAR Eagle that we are restoring, it is a great car as well. We will be at Indy for the 50th celebration,you are welcome to visit.
    Good Luck Wes

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 956

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Allen View Post
    We will be at Indy for the 50th celebration,you are welcome to visit.
    Good Luck Wes
    Wes, we'll be there too. Stop by and say hello. We will look for you too.

Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsy SR 6 View Post
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    Wes, we'll be there too. Stop by and say hello. We will look for you too.

Dan Wise
    Michael
    Since the new forum update I am unable to locate the PM tab. Please email me
    Tquan277@gmail.com.
    Tom Quaranto

Thread Information