Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Under forum actions -> General Settings

I switch to the Standard Editor and the problem is gone.

It also seemed to restore all the icons...

2. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Liked: 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    Same colors. White is white. The fonts can be controlled and over-ridden by your browser settings, too, and won't be thicker or heavier regardless of how you think you see them in the forums. You're seeing an optical illusion.
    Tried that (Firefox). Changed the default font size to 18 - it changed every other site but this one!

Liked: 96

Congratulations on the upgrade!
    Thank you for providing this forum for support & classified ads..
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

5. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Liked: 65

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues that DW is having?
    No issues here with spacing on Chrome.

I don't like the fixed width of the text window. Most forums will auto-adjust the width to whatever width the window is, but this causes panning right and left to look at things on this forum. It's better than the fixed-width side borders of the previous Apexspeed, but still slightly annoying.

I've noticed that font sizes seem to change from post-to-post on my Android phone. One is seemingly 20-pt font, the next post is 8-pt font.

I do like the colors. It looks less like a gaming forum and more professional.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Liked: 1417

Quote Originally Posted by captain_pants View Post
    I don't like the fixed width of the text window. Most forums will auto-adjust the width to whatever width the window is, but this causes panning right and left to look at things on this forum. It's better than the fixed-width side borders of the previous Apexspeed, but still slightly annoying.
    There are a couple of reasons for this, but most of them are technical and logistical and not aesthetics.

If you have to scroll side to side, what size monitor are you working on? The size was determined by the smallest laptop we could find (1440 px wide) and it was built under that at about 1060 px wide. Anything smaller is mobile, and we will have a mobile version coming very shortly.

Liked: 3322

Default Still doing the no-spaces thing...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    GoogleChrome,windows7professional64bitHPdesktop

It did that no-space thing again in the 1st sentence here...seems to be in the 1st sentence consistently.

Edit: I confirmed that the no-space issue goes away once I hit "enter" to start a new line after typing anything. It even goes away for the 1st line after that.
    Is anyone else experiencing similar issues that DW is having?
    Postingthisagainsoyoucanseeit.Onceihitenterafterty pinganything,andgotothenextlinetheissuedissapears.

As I said above, it's OK after typing anything and then hitting enter... So it's still doing the same thing.

BTW, I'm using the WYSIWYG editor in the forum.

I did a search of Chrome help and there are no clues there...
    Last edited by DaveW; 04.17.17 at 2:46 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Default Another issue...

I like to un-view certain subforums. When I hid them they used to stay hidden. Now they seem to randomly reappear w/o my doing anything.

BTW, no problem with spaces going away in this post BECAUSE I DID NOT QUOTE ANOTHER POST...
    Dave Weitzenhof

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    IamexperiencingthesamethingwithChrome.

What is weird is the second line here was typed no differently and is fine.

I can go back and insert spaces after, but the first like always seems to eliminate the trailing space as you type....

What I just discovered is that the problem occurs when I've quoted something.
    Samehere.

Works OK when I am not quoting...
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 0

Can you turn on the "Today's Posts" feature and enable it for people not logged in? -edit: Specifically in the web version (not talking mobile or tapatalk)

Having to click on every single forum and subforum to see new things is a real disincentive to using this site.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_wheeler View Post
    Can you turn on the "Today's Posts" feature and enable it for people not logged in? -edit: Specifically in the web version (not talking mobile or tapatalk)

Having to click on every single forum and subforum to see new things is a real disincentive to using this site.
    The "New Posts" link works based on your browser cookies that you set the last time you were on the forums and logged in. They don't work if you don't log in (and therefore set cookies), and that's the same basic function for any forum. I use the "New Posts" link as my main site nav link, so it's important to me that it works. I haven't had any issues with it in Chrome, Safari or Firefox.

If this isn't functioning, clear your browser cookies and re-log in to the forums, and it should disappear.

Actually, Dan, I misread your post and gave you an answer to a problem you don't have.

In the QUICK LINKS hyperlink at the top right of the forum navigation, the first link in the drop-down is Today's Posts. I'm not sure if you need to be logged in to see that or not, but we generally don't allow non-logged in users to have a whole lot of navigation control on the forums. I'll test it later tonight and see what I can do.

[EDIT: I just looked into it and, yes, you need to be logged in to see that. The reason is simple. We mandate that you need to be a logged in member of ApexSpeed to use the server-intensive SEARCH. We don't allow non-forum members to randomly search anything on ApexSpeed to harvest your information. The "Today's Posts" feature is merely a result of a SEARCH of the posts made on a specific day—today. So, no, it didn't work that way in the previous iteration of ApexSpeed, either. Stay logged in, and the link is right at your fingertips every time you re-join the forums.]

Liked: 111

Default Google search ends in fail

when you search for Apexspeed in Google, and click on the first Hit.. (apexspeed.com) it takes you to the old start page and then fails.

Just an FYI.. someone new may never find the site.
    if you click on the activity stream link it works.

im using firefox on a Macbook. so it may be my setup as well .

good luck with the site

Bob

16. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Liked: 130

It is alot easier to read if I put everything in bold. OK everyone please use bold so I dont have headaches reading what you guys are saying. LOL

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by helipilot04 View Post
    when you search for Apexspeed in Google, and click on the first Hit.. (apexspeed.com) it takes you to the old start page and then fails.
    Google doesn't cache old pages, but your browser does. Clear your old browser cache and that won't happen. Anyone coming to the front splash page for the first time will get the new pages.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 902

Default I dislike change in general.....

......But I like what you've done here. Classified costs are dirt cheap at $12, and you seem to be working hard to incorporate the cool little nuanced features I've always liked.

Re the font size/colour/background discussion, I've already got used to it. I spend many hours a day looking at a wide variety of data sources, and find this one generally easy to deal with. So overall, a really well done job.

And I had plenty of grey hair. Now I just wish I had more hair period - any colour would be fine

Cheers,
    BT

21. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Default Another small bug... "approximately sign" appears as -

When I use the "approximately" sign ( a horizontal squiggle which I can't show here because the forum changes it) the forum changes it to a minus sign (-).

It looks OK while typing the post, but even in the post preview it's already changed to an elongated dash.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Image uploading is 'different'...

I tried to upload an image and it tells me I've exceeded the limit. Image was 97kb and it said I was over by 102kb.

What limit have I exceeded?

When I use the "approximately" sign ( a horizontal squiggle which I can't show here because the forum changes it) the forum changes it to a minus sign (-).

It looks OK while typing the post, but even in the post preview it's already changed to an elongated dash.
    Try the standard editor. It seems to allow ~

Default Weird...

When I look at your post, the squiggle appears as a dash...
    Dave Weitzenhof

When I look at your post, the squiggle appears as a dash...
    I see that. But if I go in to Edit (standard editor) my post it's most definitely a tilde....

So, the enhanced editor and the display component both change a tilde to a dash.

I changed to std editor, no difference ~. It still appears as a dash
    Dave Weitzenhof

So I went back to the WYSIWYG. Amazing how no matter how good a software change is, there are ALWAYS bugs...
    Dave Weitzenhof

Testing... ~`!@#$%^&*()_+
    ~~~~~~~``````—----

Å?ÇδÏ?ÓˆÔ?Ò˜Ø??€‹›??‡°·‚ —`±

So the tilde thing is puzzling. It's working find here in Safari, Chrome and Firefox on 3 different computers. I tend to lean towards browser/font issues on the end user's side.

EVERYTHING on the forums is new, so if your browser trying to pull old graphics or pages, you might be having trouble.

Here's the thing... vB4.2.X has been out for a LONG time. The bugs have been fixed and repaired for many years. They have been promoting vB5.X for years now, so it isn't like it's new and untested. It's VERY stable, heavily used (more so than the package we were using before) and the backbone of vB forums all over.

Now, we are using what they call hacks or modifications to do certain things that the stock system doesn't do, and sometimes they interfere with the functionality of the basic software. We're trying to work through these little hiccups (like the registration problems last night), but the list of things to do is long. We'll work through them. We forget that the other forum was in place for well over a decade, so the issues that we worked through there happened over time and without most of you seeing what it took to fix them.

I'm starting another thread for everyone to post issues they are finding on the new layout. We won't get to them all immediately, but we do want to make sure everything is working as we expect them to.

I changed to std editor, no difference ~. It still appears as a dash
    That appears as a tilde on my home machine.....
    And a dash at work.....
    I'm using Chrome in both places.
    Doug is probably correct about the font thing.
    Last edited by BeerBudgetRacing; 04.18.17 at 4:56 PM.

Quote Doug:
    ------------------------------------------------
    "So the tilde thing is puzzling. It's working find here in Safari, Chrome and Firefox on 3 different computers. I tend to lean towards browser/font issues on the end user's side.

EVERYTHING on the forums is new, so if your browser trying to pull old graphics or pages, you might be having trouble."
    -------------------------------------------------
    So why if it's a font issue on my end did it show up properly in the old forum setup? My end hasn't changed. And I have repeatedly cleared my cache.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 917

I think I know why a lot of folks don't like the lower contrast and a lot of white and pastel colors that all the kids adore.

Cause those kids are the children of Apexspeedeers.. I would bet that the average age of the membership is north of fifty.

And our old eyes can't deal with it.

But overall I think that the changes are for the better.

Quote Doug:
    ------------------------------------------------
    "So the tilde thing is puzzling. It's working find here in Safari, Chrome and Firefox on 3 different computers. I tend to lean towards browser/font issues on the end user's side.

EVERYTHING on the forums is new, so if your browser trying to pull old graphics or pages, you might be having trouble."
    -------------------------------------------------
    So why if it's a font issue on my end did it show up properly in the old forum setup? My end hasn't changed. And I have repeatedly cleared my cache.
    It's Chrome. I'm trying to find evidence of it happening elsewhere, but it happened for me. To this point, I haven't seen it occur before. It may be a Google font not representing itself properly or it may be something Chrome is doing with the [quote] tag. Not really sure at this point.

It's Chrome. I'm trying to find evidence of it happening elsewhere, but it happened for me. To this point, I haven't seen it occur before. It may be a Google font not representing itself properly or it may be something Chrome is doing with the quote tag. Not really sure at this point.
    Here is what I found (this was typed up in Chrome)...

This is due to an incompatibility between new versions of Chrome and the now quite old version of CKEditor that vBulletin 4 uses as its message editor.

Great, that doesn't help fix the problem. The (arrogant) vBulletin developers have basically told vB4 users on Chrome to eff off. So there's that. There are a lot of forum owners facing the same problem. They call it the "dead space bar." It's something that Google did in recent versions of Chrome. Some users saw it disappear with the most current updated versions of Chrome, but it's pretty minimal.

The best workaround in vB4 is to switch people to the standard (non-WYSIWYG) editor. That was already the situation for IE11 users as there were often issues with it there. It will work fine using the standard editor.

One forum owner found that the simplest work-around is to hit RETURN and go back up a line then start typing. It essentially removes the errant line in the post response.

Either way, the fix is a work-around, and not a solution. There is no solution, and vBulletin developers have defiantly said they will not be looking for a fix to this issue. Unfortunately, we don't have a better solution at this time.

Default Solves both tilde and space-bar, or only space-bar issue?

Does that (std editor) apply to both the tilde issue and the space-bar malfunction? I don't think it does because I tried that and the tilde issue remained. Even so, I will likely go back to the std editor if that really solves the space-bar issue.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Does that (std editor) apply to both the tilde issue and the space-bar malfunction? I don't think it does because I tried that and the tilde issue remained. Even so, I will likely go back to the std editor if that really solves the space-bar issue.
    Standard Editor solves the space bar issue. The tilde issue is font related I believe (works on one machine but not another)

Might check to see if you have the font Doug recommends installed:
    https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Open+Sans

Standard Editor solves the space bar issue. The tilde issue is font related I believe (works on one machine but not another)

It's not an installation issue, Google fonts are web-based and not computer-based. You shouldn't have to install anything for it to work correctly. In fact, a Google browser should be able to view Google fonts better than anything else.

Don't know if it's just screen resolution or settings or what, but right now, kinda low on the list of things to tackle.

Liked: 0

Actually, Dan, I misread your post and gave you an answer to a problem you don't have.

[EDIT: I just looked into it and, yes, you need to be logged in to see that. The reason is simple. We mandate that you need to be a logged in member of ApexSpeed to use the server-intensive SEARCH. We don't allow non-forum members to randomly search anything on ApexSpeed to harvest your information. The "Today's Posts" feature is merely a result of a SEARCH of the posts made on a specific day—today. So, no, it didn't work that way in the previous iteration of ApexSpeed, either. Stay logged in, and the link is right at your fingertips every time you re-join the forums.]
    Correct. However, in the previous version of the website, almost all the subforums were listed out individually and displayed the "Last Post Date". It was cumbersome, but you could scan that list and see where new posts were. Not possible with the current formatting and (continued) lack of Today's Posts.

I see no reason to let you log all my activity on this site, so I only log in when I must.

Switched to std editor.

Trying to see if space bar works - YES!

Now lets try the tilde. ~ nope, as Doug said that still doesn't work.

See post #76 - increasing screen display size solved the tilde issue.
    Last edited by DaveW; 04.19.17 at 6:37 PM. Reason: added last sentence
    Dave Weitzenhof

41. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Page zoom to 125% makes the forum a lot easier to read

I am using 1920 x 1080 screen resolution, so that makes everything pretty small. So I went into Chrome settings and changed the page zoom to 125%.

That made a big difference. I can now actually see the various font colors, etc. Much more pleasant to read.
    Dave Weitzenhof

43. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Screen 125% zoom fixed the tilde...

Switched to std editor.

Trying to see if space bar works - YES!

Now lets try the tilde. ~ nope, as Doug said that still doesn't work.
    I am using 1920 x 1080 screen resolution, so that makes everything pretty small. So I went into Chrome settings and changed the page zoom to 125%.

That made a big difference. I can now actually see the various font colors, etc. Much more pleasant to read.
    The tilde issue was screen and font size related. Changing the Google screen to 125% zoom makes the tilde (~) display correctly. Apparently, the font was so small the "squiggle" disappeared in spite of my high resolution.

That, BTW, proves to me that the font size must have decreased in the new version of the forum, because that was not an issue with the old version.
    Last edited by DaveW; 04.19.17 at 6:52 PM. Reason: added last sentence
    Dave Weitzenhof

45. The following members LIKED this post:

The tilde issue was screen and font size related. Changing the Google screen to 125% zoom makes the tilde (~) display correctly. Apparently, the font was so small the "squiggle" disappeared in spite of my high resolution.

That, BTW, proves to me that the font size must have decreased in the new version of the forum, because that was not an issue with the old version.
    Font size is the same, just a different base font used in the forums. The tilde is a little less obvious, but running such intense screen resolution, this can't be the only site that is hard to read on the internet.

Font size is the same, just a different base font used in the forums. The tilde is a little less obvious, but running such intense screen resolution, this can't be the only site that is hard to read on the internet.
    Actually, this IS the only forum/site that is hard to read for me, and I'm on several (Formula Race Promotions, McMaster-Carr, RX7.com, VW Vortex, etc.)
    Last edited by DaveW; 04.20.17 at 1:03 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

48. The following members LIKED this post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information