Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 1115

"..at least he died doing what he loved.."
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 3787

Many a fine folk has gotten over their head in the sport of their choosing and paid the ultimate price for it. Just saying.

I know i sound like a hard a$$. But this was a Majors event on the "tour". You are playing with the big dogs. 57 cars in mixed class racing. It is intense. It can be dangerous to try to play it "cautious" in that pack of angry dogs.

One time I looked at the grid at Sebring and said, "Hum... maybe I should start from the back."

3. The following 5 users liked this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    I know i sound like a hard a$$. But this was a Majors event on the "tour". You are playing with the big dogs. 57 cars in mixed class racing. It is intense. It can be dangerous to try to play it "cautious" in that pack of angry dogs.

One time I looked at the grid at Sebring and said, "Hum... maybe I should start from the back."

You don't sound like a hard ass. You sound like somebody who's been there with an accurate perspective of how it works.

Way back in my one my early posts on this thread I estimated 6 cars passed him in less than 30 seconds. That environment certainly would have an impact on the drivers' mindsets of both the FA car as well as the P2 car.

Liked: 218

So Bob, was that you upside down in turn 1 at Thompson in 2014? I seem to remember seeing that picture/camera angle/video a couple of years ago. If so, I remember that and remember you stating it was a racing incident and was glad no one was hurt. Well, maybe a pocketbook or two.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

Yea...turn one, lap one funnelling into a tight corner from a fairly long straight. My point posting it is stuff happens sometimes when everybody is racing close and hard and there is not always 'blame', more instantly made decisions that on later, calm review, could have been better.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

If you are being passed at that rate at the start, why would you think you could go to the "racing line" and not expect or look for another or 3 cars to be inside you.
    Just my opinion but I've been through about 200+ mixed class starts and all the issues are fast qualify HP, slow start corner.
    Often been asked, Why did you hit me? Answer, You're in the way.

Liked: 307

Seems that every time I am at the track and the 'Big' Formula + Prototypes come out to play there is ALWAYS a Full Course Yellow situation - who causes it and why doesn't matter. This grouping of cars doesn't play well together. Seems as if there is more ego and money in this grouping than there is the common sense of survival and respect for the other competitors.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    This grouping of cars doesn't play well together. Seems as if there is more ego and money in this grouping than there is the common sense of survival and respect for the other competitors.
    As unpopular as your observation may prove to be, I tend to agree.

Liked: 278

I would submit that the range of speed and skill (nevermind experience or situational awareness) in such groupings far exceed that in any other segment of Club Racing?
    Vaughan Scott
    #77 ITB/HP Porsche 924
    #25 Hidari Firefly P2
    http://www.vaughanscott.com

Liked: 42

Nah, T2 and Bspec play in the same group. Huge range of speed. And skill.

And in the case of this incident P2 and FA(?) are pretty darn close.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    Nah, T2 and Bspec play in the same group. Huge range of speed. And skill.

And in the case of this incident P2 and FA(?) are pretty darn close.
    In club racing, the higher the budget and skill required to run at the pointy end of a grid, the larger the delta between the pointy end and grid fodder (in the same class). Many on the grid will be short one or some combination of both skill and budget. There's a 12-15 second a lap delta between the FA pole and FA tagging the rear, same with P2.

As to the T2/BSpec delta's. Yes. Huge disparity between car potential. However a lot more people can drive a BSpec at 95% of its full potential than 95% of a FA.

I'd much rather share the track with someone in a different class 20 seconds a lap slower that is aware, predictable and experienced, than someone in the same class 2 seconds a lap slower who has none of those attributes.

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information