Thread: Lateral G

Liked: 101

Default Lateral G

Ok..just watched a video of one of Hamilton's laps in Australia...
    spike of 7.8 G and sustained around 6.7......I have no words.....

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

The average guy passes out at 7 G's.... incredible
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    Positive G will cause Gloc, but I don't think lateral G in the turns keeps the heart from supplying the brain....
    Not an uphill fight ?.....ANY DOCS WANT TO CHIME IN ?

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    Positive G will cause Gloc, but I don't think lateral G in the turns keeps the heart from supplying the brain....
    Not an uphill fight ?.....ANY DOCS WANT TO CHIME IN ?

Liked: 804

Spikes vs sustained is the key here.

For example, an F-16 fighter is computer limited to 9g sustained WITH a flight g-suit, which is all the pilot can take, although aircraft can do more.

I'd be curious to see F1 data traces this year of a longer corner such as at monza.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    Spikes vs sustained is the key here.

For example, an F-16 fighter is computer limited to 9g sustained WITH a flight g-suit, which is all the pilot can take, although aircraft can do more.

I'd be curious to see F1 data traces this year of a longer corner such as at monza.....
    Ian....the f16 driver also has a lay down seat that reduces vertical distance from heart to head....I wasn't awestruck by Hammie not passing out as much as I am speechless about the current cars lateral G capability and the drivers ability to function at that level over a race distance...

Liked: 80

cart went to texas in -99 or -00 without prior testing.

it didn't take long for drivers to experience tunnel vision, etc

can't remember g #s but they were sustained for most of each lap,

nasa folk were called and said g-suits or not run.

event was canceled.

banking was changed later

oops
    Last edited by marc sproule; 04.04.17 at 1:46 AM.

Liked: 804

Quote Originally Posted by bill gillespie View Post
    Ian....the f16 driver also has a lay down seat that reduces vertical distance from heart to head....I wasn't awestruck by Hammie not passing out as much as I am speechless about the current cars lateral G capability and the drivers ability to function at that level over a race distance...
    Good point, and admittedly with no data, I'd speculate that Hammie with his feet up is potentially more laid back than an F16 jockey. Nonetheless, truly amazing.

Liked: 26

Sort of related but does anyone know the max lateral G's that you would expect to see on a well setup Formula Atlantic (in my case a Swift DB4) on a sweeping corner?

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

The lateral g we see is not the same as the vertical g that pilots see in a race car the blood does not get pulled into your feet.

The situation at texas was more like the pilot situation. Because of the high banks there was a significant g component along the drivers spine for extended periods. That was probably low enough to be countered by the straining technique but i doubt any of them would have had the stamina to do that for the whole race.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    The lateral g we see is not the same as the vertical g that pilots see in a race car the blood does not get pulled into your feet.

The situation at texas was more like the pilot situation. Because of the high banks there was a significant g component along the drivers spine for extended periods. That was probably low enough to be countered by the straining technique but i doubt any of them would have had the stamina to do that for the whole race.
    Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamez View Post
    Sort of related but does anyone know the max lateral G's that you would expect to see on a well setup Formula Atlantic (in my case a Swift DB4) on a sweeping corner?
    3ish

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Default Seat Position and G loading

Caveat: not a doc, just spent a bunch of flying at hi g (6+) and got my human factors MS (as part of the bargain).

The biggest trade space between fighter aircraft and F1; ejection from aircraft - not F1 (just yet - but, just a twisted aside - why not at the salt flats?). Spine upright = less impact injury (spinal compression) on ejection. As the F1 pilot is not so equipped - a very reclined seating position can be had for lower aero cross-section and vertical g loading. Fighters (pre-Generation 5) rarely experienced horizontal g - always loaded up through the vertical axis - not in a slip around or through it.

Getting the feet up above the thighs and butt prevents pooling, but can go momentarily numb under load. Again, most useful for hi g banked corners - not hi g lateral turning.

I wasn't awestruck by Hammie not passing out as much as I am speechless about the current cars lateral G capability and the drivers ability to function at that level over a race distance...
    There were remarks about the new cars performance at Barcelona, and the physical beating the drivers were taking, Hamilton's comment something like; "I like it.."

Cheers - Jim
    When I used to fly Phantoms, I was called an AVIATOR.
    Now I race cars. So, am I now called a PAVIATOR?

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
    Caveat: not a doc, just spent a bunch of flying at hi g (6+) and got my human factors MS (as part of the bargain).

The biggest trade space between fighter aircraft and F1; ejection from aircraft - not F1 (just yet - but, just a twisted aside - why not at the salt flats?). Spine upright = less impact injury (spinal compression) on ejection. As the F1 pilot is not so equipped - a very reclined seating position can be had for lower aero cross-section and vertical g loading. Fighters (pre-Generation 5) rarely experienced horizontal g - always loaded up through the vertical axis - not in a slip around or through it.

Getting the feet up above the thighs and butt prevents pooling, but can go momentarily numb under load. Again, most useful for hi g banked corners - not hi g lateral turning.

There were remarks about the new cars performance at Barcelona, and the physical beating the drivers were taking, Hamilton's comment something like; "I like it.."

Cheers - Jim
    Hey Jim......I hold the Rhino , and its drivers in high regard.......the last of the real jets that turned JP4 into noise and black smoke !

Salute,
    Bill

Thread Information