Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad news

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Olivola View Post
    Well, which is it? Is motor vehicle safety a good or bad idea? You seem to be trying to have your cake and eat it, too.
    I am capable of seeing the forest despite the trees....

Motor vehicle safety is a good idea; all steps towards that goal aren't good steps. Don't focus on being "right" or trying to win a debate. Have a discussion open to seeing things in grey rather than black or white.

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 353

There's a difference between grey and bouncing between extremes.

So, which vehicle safety steps do you think aren't good?

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    I am capable of seeing the forest despite the trees....

Motor vehicle safety is a good idea; all steps towards that goal aren't good steps. Don't focus on being "right" or trying to win a debate. Have a discussion open to seeing things in grey rather than black or white.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned

So, which vehicle safety steps do you think aren't good?
    The driver of this super car and his instructor and Paul Walker and the driver in that collision all are believed to have died on impact/almost instantly. The driver in the collision I came upon certainly didn't. The major difference was the size of the crumple zones and the number of air bags in said cars.

As the forces involved in a collision increase the probability of a subsequent fire increase.
    As the forces involved in a collision increase the probability of survival decreases.

It's that area where those probabilities are both moderate that need to be addressed.

Fuel cells...
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Banned

Fuel cells were my immediate response as well. However, it's not the fuel tanks rupturing that were the problems in my gigantic sample size of two . It is the fuel lines between the tank and injectors. Those lines are rubber and/or hard line. When everything isn't where it was originally those lines get torn loose and/or broken and that intact fuel tank/fuel cell just lets everything in the tank drain with no reasonable way to stop the flow.

That's monumentally vague.

The driver of this super car and his instructor and Paul Walker and the driver in that collision all are believed to have died on impact/almost instantly. The driver in the collision I came upon certainly didn't. The major difference was the size of the crumple zones and the number of air bags in said cars.

As the forces involved in a collision increase the probability of a subsequent fire increase.
    As the forces involved in a collision increase the probability of survival decreases.

It's that area where those probabilities are both moderate that need to be addressed.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Banned

That's monumentally vague.
    There's no pleasing you.

I told you specifically what I had issue with: the number of air bags and size of the crumple zones that result in impacts sufficient enough to have a reasonable probability of both fire and collision survivability.

Liked: 1886

This is getting more bizarre with almost every post......

You might want to re-read what you wrote......
    Last edited by R. Pare; 02.28.17 at 9:48 PM.

The problem with your approach is that it fails to provide the kind of specificity needed to create a regulation. That's the fundamental problem with your complaint. You want different specs but you can't provide what they should be or even how to arrive at them. Your approach would only paralyze the rules making process.

There's no pleasing you.

I told you specifically what I had issue with: the number of air bags and size of the crumple zones that result in impacts sufficient enough to have a reasonable probability of both fire and collision survivability.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pare View Post
    This is getting more bizarre with almost every post......

You might want to re-read what you wrote......

Rule is adequate as written

I'm certain it could have been worded more efficiently, but knowing what I meant, it says exactly what I meant. Re-read it a few times and maybe it will come to you.

How about this:

the number of air bags and size of the crumple zones that result in impacts sufficient enough to have a reasonable probability of both (a) fire and (initial) collision survivability.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 02.28.17 at 10:26 PM.

Banned

The problem with your approach is that it fails to provide the kind of specificity needed to create a regulation. That's the fundamental problem with your complaint. You want different specs but you can't provide what they should be or even how to arrive at them. Your approach would only paralyze the rules making process.
    I don't pretend to believe that an internet debate, on a racing related forum, is going to lead to some insurance or automobile manufacturer lobbying group pushing for a new regulation drafted by me.

I also don't believe that additional laws/regulations are always the answer. Sometimes less is more.

You really are having a difficult time with a lack of consistency in your argument.

I don't pretend to believe that an internet debate, on a racing related forum, is going to lead to some insurance or automobile manufacturer lobbying group pushing for a new regulation drafted by me.

I also don't believe that additional laws/regulations are always the answer. Sometimes less is more.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Rule is adequate as written

I'm certain it could have been worded more efficiently, but knowing what I meant, it says exactly what I meant. Re-read it a few times and maybe it will come to you.

How about this:

the number of air bags and size of the crumple zones that result in impacts sufficient enough to have a reasonable probability of both (a) fire and (initial) collision survivability.

how 'bout what you actually wrote: "I told you specifically what I had issue with: the number of air bags and size of the crumple zones that result in impacts sufficient enough to have a reasonable probability of both fire and collision survivability.

Having issue with something means that you are not in agreement with it.

I've always wondered just how more airbags and larger crumple zones result in producing impacts.

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned

how 'bout what you actually wrote: "I told you specifically what I had issue with: the number of air bags and size of the crumple zones that result in impacts sufficient enough to have a reasonable probability of both fire and collision survivability.

Having issue with something means that you are not in agreement with it.

I've always wondered just how more airbags and larger crumple zones result in producing impacts.
    I'm well aware of what "having issue with something" means.

Pretend like you're reading your beloved GCR and don't ignore the remainder of the poorly constructed sentence....that ought to be familiar enough.

I'm tapping out on this one. A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still. Carry on without me.

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 195

Default Lawsuit

So a driving instructor at the facility has filled a lawsuit asking that the track be closed until safety at the track is improved. Evidently the instructors were required to sign a form stating it was safe. The instructor refused to do so and was fired

Liked: 605

Capitalism. Ain't it great?

One guess is there's some of this "HEY COME DRIVE A SUPERCAR (even if you're stupid)" going on because some one thinks like this > I can't afford a Lambo but if I buy/finance one and get enough people to rent/drive it at a track eventually they'll pay it of for me.

Let's all remember the average IQ is only 100......and Forest Gump would have been allowed to not only rent the Lambo...........and here's the scary part..... but vote too.

Liked: 78

EYE,
    What type of people do you hang out with?

It seems some of you feel that everyone in America is stupid.

It was a horrible accident. Shouldn't assume everyone that does this and crashes the car is a moron. If I recall, didn't you get into a bad wreck a few years ago?

If someone wrote an article, what would it have said?

"Middle aged guy nearly dies while crashing oversized go kart while trying to relive his youth."

Not knocking you. That is what they would write about me too. Just respect the fallen and their families. Unless someone has first hand knowledge of the person(s) involved, nobody has the right to cast negative opinions.

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    .... Let's all remember the average IQ is only 100...
    Having an IQ of 163 and not considering my self particularly smart at the age of 73, I'm sort of shocked at the above. I do recall you have to have an IQ of 120 to qualify for officers school in the Army.

When my IQ was first found in middle school, the school called my parents in to find out what they were doing wrong because my GPA was averaging near a C minus. Yes I tested out the same on the military IQ test when I was 19 too. After barely getting out of High School I 'cake walked' through college post military while working 50 plus hours a week and keeping a GPA of 3.75.

BUT I still don't have a great desire to drive a Lambo. Give me a Ferrari 250 from 1950's any time
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 307

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    Having an IQ of 163 and not considering my self particularly smart at the age of 73, I'm sort of shocked at the above. I do recall you have to have an IQ of 120 to qualify for officers school in the Army.

When my IQ was first found in middle school, the school called my parents in to find out what they were doing wrong because my GPA was averaging near a C minus. Yes I tested out the same on the military IQ test when I was 19 too.
    Are you finding it 'unusual' that the military would want Officers to have 'above average' IQ's?

What is scary is that doctors average about 120-125.

Liked: 78

Eye,
    You seem to have been mistaken with your IQ numbers. Seems Americas average is 98.

https://iq-research.info/en/page/ave...-united-states

Liked: 123

What is scary is that doctors average about 120-125.
    Which puts them in around the 95th percentile - smarter than 95 out of 100 people in the average room, as it were. It gets steep at the edges of the bell curve. I find that IQ has little to do with competency, skilled decision making, ethics, and so on. Like a lot of things in life, if you have enough you're good to go. Having an excess doesn't help as much as having enough does.

26. The following 2 users liked this post:

Banned

Eye's numbers are correct, it is his terminology that's wrong The median IQ is 100, the average is 98.

Throughout my life my IQ has ranged somewhere between minimum MENSA standards and Rickb99's; hasn't prevented me from making mistakes or taking, what to many, would consider unreasonable risks.

28. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 123

When I was around 23 I moved to the big city and was lonely and tremendously bored, and went through the whole MENSA application thing, which was fun when you are 23 and bored and can actually do the tests. I passed all the tests, and then my girlfriend came to town and I was no longer bored, so I never followed up and actually joined. That and a buck will get me a coffee at McDonalds...

Edit: that was right around when Playboy did one of their "girls of Mensa" editions. I never met any of those girls... But - when Playboy did their "Girls of Worldcom", after that debacle, one of the girls worked in our office.

30. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    When I was around 23 I moved to the big city and was lonely and tremendously bored, and went through the whole MENSA application thing, which was fun when you are 23 and bored and can actually do the tests. I passed all the tests, and then my girlfriend came to town and I was no longer bored, so I never followed up and actually joined. That and a buck will get me a coffee at McDonalds...
    Yep. I have never seen much value in MENSA membership. Not exactly my type of social circle or activities.

Liked: 310

I read a article a couple of years ago that said the average IQ Americans has decreased 14 points since 1900.

Liked: 307

Yep. I have never seen much value in MENSA membership. Not exactly my type of social circle or activities.
    I have known several MENSA members - they didn't impress me much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I read a article a couple of years ago that said the average IQ Americans has decreased 14 points since 1900.

Most likely due to improved health care - the idiots are surviving and having idiot children!

Liked: 145

I have a metric IQ of 67 does anyone know what the conversion factor is?

36. The following members LIKED this post:

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Quote Originally Posted by gcoffin View Post
    I have a metric IQ of 67 does anyone know what the conversion factor is?
    It's either double and add 30 or divide by 2.54.

38. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

I haven't a clue what my IQ is or was.
    Good things thing I guess.....wouldn't have understood it anyway

Most likely due to improved health care - the idiots are surviving and having idiot children!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGUNPMPrxvA
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

I've been instructing for several years, HPDE, Teens, LAW Enforcement. I'm very comfortable in the right seat. I keep the speeds down and focus on proper technique and the art of driving at speed. I've become an excellent driver with just by left arm.... One wanna be hot shoe told me, "You're making me nervous reaching over and steering my car." I replied, "You're making me nervous when I don't."

The new cars with high horse power and full on traction and stability controls are nothing more than a carnival ride for these racer wannabes. They have no real skill sets. The car does all the driving trying to save itself....
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

42. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 310

Speaking of driving nannies, Mercedes has a function to correct for the effects of crosswinds.

Liked: 13

Default IQ

I think I've lost a few IQ points buy reading this entire string...cheers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information