I think Doug needs one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=35&v=mrSEhzwGohU
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Liked: 13

I cant stand rigs that move like that. Creates horrific inner ear imbalance. If I was hanging sideways my body knew it.
    "im so broke it makes ted kennedy in a bikini look good...true story"- adam g

Liked: 679

Doesn't look like it simulates loss of grip / edge of traction much. Maybe it is trying to simulate off-road racing?
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 447

Loss of grip comes through in the force feedback of the wheel itself. At least the front wheels anyway...
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

There are rigs out there which properly simulate what a car is doing into through and out of a corner. This is not 1 of them. Simulating G Forces for racing purposes is a common misnomer for simracers. Sure you can build something that peaks about the same as what the real car does but it cannot sustain that load unless you are whipping around in a circle at 30mph for 2-5 seconds.

The rigs that simulate cars properly simulate the movement of the chassis and suspension itself, not the G forces. Going trough turn 1 at Road Atlanta for example you can feel the car squat and settle on the left rear and when it starts to slip you feel the back of the rig twitch. Add this in with the prototype Oculus rift I was using at the same time for 100% real time head movements and 3d effect the immersion is intense.

I just took my teammate to a simracing company I've been associated with for many years. He's been skeptical for ages and would never go with me because every rig he's ever drove he couldn't "feel" the car. After about 3 hours of lapping he was pricing out buying 1 the next day haha

Liked: 2

Default I agree

I have two motion sim at home with both of them VR setup. Since I build them I have not used regular static rigs. My motion sims are very sturdy has they are based out of sega motion arcade. I change the whole computer boards and re code it myself and voila. One is a 3 dof and the other one is one dof. Even the one dof is fun, because it reacts real fast. I get front and rear wheel spin big time, it just matters how you set it up. I never get sick and play everyday a few hours. I have two of them and we race them, so much fun and great for practice.

Liked: 530

Quote Originally Posted by mcs11 View Post
    There are rigs out there which properly simulate what a car is doing into through and out of a corner. This is not 1 of them. Simulating G Forces for racing purposes is a common misnomer for simracers. Sure you can build something that peaks about the same as what the real car does but it cannot sustain that load unless you are whipping around in a circle at 30mph for 2-5 seconds.

The rigs that simulate cars properly simulate the movement of the chassis and suspension itself, not the G forces. Going trough turn 1 at Road Atlanta for example you can feel the car squat and settle on the left rear and when it starts to slip you feel the back of the rig twitch. Add this in with the prototype Oculus rift I was using at the same time for 100% real time head movements and 3d effect the immersion is intense.

I just took my teammate to a simracing company I've been associated with for many years. He's been skeptical for ages and would never go with me because every rig he's ever drove he couldn't "feel" the car. After about 3 hours of lapping he was pricing out buying 1 the next day haha

what rig and how much? where in FL is this?

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    what rig and how much? where in FL is this?
    Company is actually in Atlanta. Simcraft Apex 3. You can buy it turnkey for about $35k or build the frame yourself and buy the hardware for $8,500 (including actuators and electronics, 6 pivot bearings with mounts, software, wheel and pedals). They send a DIY kit with plans for where the pivot points need to be. The apex 3 simulates chassis pitch, roll, and yaw. The programing allows you to speed up and slow down each setting to dial in to what you're used to feeling. Same with the pedal stiffness as they use an actual Tilton pedal set. They have other cheaper units that only do 1 or 2 directions but the Apex 3 with virtual reality running is the most realistic thing Ive ever run. Plus its compatiable with playstations and xbox along with the computer running.

They will be at the St Pete races with Indycar and World Challenge though. If you see them tell them you heard about them from Satellite Racing and they'll cut you a deal on anything you buy.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information