Liked: 80

Default Shipping a car from the east coast to the west coast

I need a list of shipping companies that ship for the east coast to the west coast.

Thanks in advance

Ben

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

I'm shipping a Titan Formula B from San Francisco area to Danbury CT with Intercity in a few days. $2100. I've used them several times. Always extremely satisfied with them

Ouch! 2100 is kind of expensive, is that an enclosed trailer deal?

Ben

Liked: 555

Quote Originally Posted by CM/FFdriver View Post
    Ouch! 2100 is kind of expensive, is that an enclosed trailer deal?

Ben
    You are going to need to shop around a lot to get a price much better than that. It might take some luck (like, find a trailer with an empty load), or decent negotiating skills. It also helps to be flexible with where the pick up and delivery spots are. They often like a regular loading dock so it's easy for them. Maybe even a city, state not too far away.

I went with BAT. It was a good experience. It was a little less that $2100, but not much.

Ideally, you wont be in a hurry, and that opens up the chances of finding someone anxious to fill their trailer for a trip.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 530

$2100 is a deal coast to coast enclosed.
    If you're just shipping a daily driver then maybe cheaper on an open trailer.

+1 for BATS (if you're not in a hurry)

Liked: 87

Default Uship.com

You have to request type of hauler, but had good luck in past...ten years ago 11-1200 was the norm, so I can see the prices mentioned are pretty legit.

Hmm.... That put a damper on getting an inexpensive car. I'll check with Bat tomorrow

Thanks for the info but keep it coming.

Ben

Liked: 16

Just as a data point, I had BAT ship me a street car from Las Vegas to the Hartford, CT area a little over a year ago..cost $2000 and they did a fair amount of damage to the car. They eventually reimbursed me for the repairs but it wasn't the most pleasant experience.

I'm sure that can happen with any of the carriers, though.
    Rob Zatz

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Supersmile View Post
    J...they did a fair amount of damage to the car. They eventually reimbursed me for the repairs but it wasn't the most pleasant experience.

I'm sure that can happen with any of the carriers, though.

I make a decent living dealing with freight damage claims day in/day out. All carriers will have claims for freight damage. How quickly and fairly they resolve those claims can make one more attractive than another. Me? I just purchase everything FOB Destination and let the shipper deal with the carriers. The various rules' tariffs are all too unfavorable for my tastes.

Liked: 502

Exelerate Transport, ask for Nistor. Enclosed and only hauls highline/race cars.
    About a dollar a mile, is typical. 602-284-0830.
    You may get a better deal about a week after Barrett-Jackson, as a lot of cars will be going east from AZ, and carriers will have to come back west then, better with your car than empty.

11. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 44

Default Transport

I have used United Routes LLC, Steve Schorr, steve@unitedroutes.com, to do cross country stuff, pricey but covered and safe.

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

I've used Thomas Sunday a couple of times with good results: http://www.sundayautotransport.com/
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Banned

Marshall9 makes some good points.

Timing after Barrett-Jackson could be key. Carriers don't want to drive empty miles from East Coast back to the Phoenix area. They will get more competitive on their pricing if they have lots of available capacity.

Liked: 530

Mecum is in FL now and will be sending trucks west soon

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 107

i tried to ship a motorcycle on Uship - that was a total fiasco and can not recommend that. also tried to ship a FF using Uship and never got a confirmed offer. complete waste of time and energy.

I've used horsesless carriage for a street car, and had the FF ship by BATS. both were great. very happy with BATS. they (she) would actually answer the phone and give truth. imagine that! although that the time, they did have a Cali legal tractor... so they dropped of in Phoenix and made arrangements from there. don't know if they got a cali legal tractor yet of not. this was around the time CA put the retroactive emission laws in place and number of shippers couldn't get into Cali.
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by Raceworks View Post
    I've used Thomas Sunday a couple of times with good results: http://www.sundayautotransport.com/
    +1
    aaron

Liked: 126

I may shortly be heading west from VA out to TX / NM. May have some room depending on another car.

The FF I was thinking about is in Jacksonville FL. I called/email Uship and still haven't been contacted back so thank you I'm going to bail on them.

Contacting the other 2, Bat and http://www.sundayautotransport.com/ I hope to hear from them soon, especially because I haven't bought the FF yet.

Ben

Liked: 804

Another way to look at it: if you went to get it yourself (a 5500 mile round trip), that would cost nearly $1000 in gas, and 6 or more days of your life, plus hotels, etc? Doesn't $2100 look good now? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    Another way to look at it: if you went to get it yourself (a 5500 mile round trip), that would cost nearly $1000 in gas, and 6 or more days of your life, plus hotels, etc? Doesn't $2100 look good now? :-)
    So if can rent a smaller type truck and then drive back from Jacksonville FL to Ca the associated cost would be:

Rental: 400.00 A king cab type truck so you can sleep in it for 2 nights and near a gas station to get refreshed and have morning coffee

Gas: 650.00

One hotel night: 125.00 can't sleep in cheap hotels

Flight: 350.00

and then 3 days of my life, I drive from dawn to dusk so 13+ hours a day

Yes it does look good LOL

Ben

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by CM/FFdriver View Post
    So if can rent a smaller type truck and then drive back from Jacksonville FL to Ca the associated cost would be:.....
    We used a 28 foot Penske truck to bring 2 FC's (one on a trailer the other in the truck) from Las Vegas to the Seattle area. In Vegas, we had a tow truck come to the pickup place and lift the one FC in to the truck for us (ez). When we got to Seattle, we used double 2x6's to get the car out of the truck.

Simple deal. Rent the truck in Florida.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Banned

A 16' truck from Penske is going to cost you $1400 from FL to CA just in rental fees.

Add in gas and you are already over the $2100 point. Never mind getting your butt to FL, time off work, food and hotel.

I'm all about doing it myself (nature of the beast when all you deal with day in/day out is somebody elses' screw up), but you have to do the math, factor in your risk and decide if it's worth it.

Liked: 82

I don't remember the name of the place but it was one of the companies that post a bid; you set a price and then see if someone will do it. I can dig up the name if need be.

So long story short two years ago I paid $1400 to have a Formula 500 with spares shipped from Michigan to Las Vegas. The seller was willing to wait / store the car while I made shipping arrangements. Note I did pay for car right away and it took about 2-3 weeks but I saved $300

I too calculated going to fetch the car myself, even with my son and I driving straight through, one overnight stop using my Subaru Outback (it gets over 20 mph towing small trailer) it would have been $750-$800 plus a 3 1/2 day grind. The shipping suddenly seemed cheap.

Liked: 1

freightcenter.com

Built a small crate to enclose the F500 car I was shipping, gave it a slanted roof so they didn't stack anything on it.

It was about $450 to get it from Rochester NY to Washington State.

My second formula car came to us from Michigan using the same method and cost less.

Liked: 108

Default Shiping

Just did a 2200 mile round trip to pick up a winter project. 3days a few hundred bucks in fuel and one night in a hotel.Next car over 8 hours away will be shipped. These long hauls just aint no fun any more! upside is I made it to the Air Force museum in Dayton on the way home.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by F five hunj View Post
    freightcenter.com

Built a small crate to enclose the F500 car I was shipping, gave it a slanted roof so they didn't stack anything on it.

It was about $450 to get it from Rochester NY to Washington State.

My second formula car came to us from Michigan using the same method and cost less.
    I shipped a Karman Ghia body the same way, CA to FL, FOB Origin, freight collect. Yes, relatively cheap. The problem is the release values involved if/when something goes wrong. Saving several hundred dollars in shipping costs suddenly gets very, very expensive if you are shipping a FB. I would shy away from any and all LTL carriers for this type of move unless the OWNER of the car is willing to accept all risks while being transported. In my mind, it simply isn't worth the savings in freight costs.

Quote Originally Posted by djones View Post
    Just did a 2200 mile round trip to pick up a winter project. 3days a few hundred bucks in fuel and one night in a hotel.Next car over 8 hours away will be shipped. These long hauls just aint no fun any more! upside is I made it to the Air Force museum in Dayton on the way home.
    My best friend from my Air Force years is the curator there

It didn't work out money wise but thank you all for the info, will help out in the future.

Ben

My B car just arrived at Stonebridge in perfect condition. My cost $2195. Calculating what it would've cost me to do myself....$2691.00 for the cheapest truck it would fit it. 3 days driving 2,950 miles. Gas ~ 10mpg = 300 gallons at average(?) $3/gal. =$900. Flight to CA $500. 3 nights hotels $300. Food? 4 days missed work ($$$). 3 days in an incredibly uncomfortable truck. All I can say is thank you Intercity for another quality move. I feel like a thief. Lol

Thread Information