Liked: 3787

Default FSRAC: Formula Sports Racing Advisory Committee

Most don't even know.
    Many don't even care.
    But... way behind the scenes.
    Tucked away in the depths of obscurity reside a small band of volunteers.
    To be perfectly politically correct... they are all male. Though, it would be interesting to have a female point of view into the raging testosterone.

These volunteers read every letter written to the heralded SCCA website addressed to the Comp Board or BoD, if that letter has anything to do with formula cars or sports racers.

This is the Formula Sports Racing Advisory Committee (FSRAC). If you would add up the years of racing experience of the sum of the committee it would be in excess of hundreds of years.

Every month they "meet" online with the aid on conference calls to try to rule with great care on the issues presented.

I have been sitting on this committee for some years. Every night that we make the call I think to myself, "dude, you ain't qualified to be mixed in with this group... unworthy". Somehow, they have let me stay on.

Recently we added Reid Hazelton to the team. Youth is a good thing. He will get up to speed. On the first night he was a little surprised that some FA teams lighten their blocks by 13 pounds to make weight, even though the engine life is limited to 250 miles. Oh my..
    But the reality of the rule set is that in any class at any moment there are those that can afford to develop cars right to the very edge of any definition.

Anyway... every letter is read and discussed. Sometimes for quite a while. Sometimes we go off for a month doing research on the issue. Engine builders are called. Data recordings are studied. "Intent" is discussed. What is good for the class is discussed.
    The "philosophy of the class" is considered. Discussions go on and on.

Unfortunately, many times in Fasttrack the only thing a letter writer sees is a comment that says, "rules are adequate as written" in response to their letter. The letter writer may think we just brushed them off, when really we worked on the issue for hours and much debate.

It is a very difficult job. I can't even imagine what it is like on other committees where they rule on classes that manufacturers create completely new cars every year.

If you belong to SCCA. If you race in SCCA. Be glad that these guys are working to keep the rules as fair as humanly possible. Be especially glad that you have a dedicated guy like Bill Johnson in charge of the committee.

Happy New Year!

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

And we all need to offer our heartfelt thanks to Mr Michael Eakin, aka Purple Frog, for his dedication in spite of not owning or racing a single seater any more, he exemplifies the calm considered contemplation this group goes through to try to keep the playing fields even remotely level for all.
    Thanks Mike, for your efforts, it is a privilege to know you and to have worked with you as your "team mate" on the F2000/1600/Atlantic Series for the years we ran the show together.
    Be well down there in Panacea and hope to see you sooner rather than later.

Liked: 41

We might not always like or appreciate the rulings that come down out of the FSRAC and the CRB. We might even think they are imbibing too much. Yet, it is this group that gives an incredible amount of time and effort to make our sport viable.

I could say the same thing about all of the Race Chairs, Stewards, Scrutineers, F&C, Registrars, T&S, Grid, Starters, Admin, etc. Many drivers are happy to pay their entry fees and show up to race. Many drivers put in time as workers. Without these dedicated workers, there would be no races for drivers to enjoy. If you have been a worker, then you realize the full extent of the effort behind the scenes, months before the race weekend, during the race weekend, and after the race weekend doing the paperwork and accounting.

So to all the SCCA Committees, race workers and the unsung people behind the scenes:

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

Contributing Member
    Liked: 19

Default second that

Dear Frog,

We have never met in person only by phone and of course I have read your frequent posts.

Thank you for your dedication to, and passion for, motor racing. It helps to keep this sport going as well as it does.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

Best wishes,

JeffW

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Craig,

Imbibing too much. Did not know that it was possible LOL Merry Christmas everyone

Thread Information