Liked: 49

Default Looking for off the shelf tailpipe

Does anyone have any sources for obtaining the tailpipe exiting the muffler? Need to replace the slightly bashed piece I have now. This is for an OEM header.

I'm looking for an easy way to replace the pipe I have now. Trying to avoid trailering the car to an exhaust shop to have one fitted in place. With the responces I'm getting so far, there may be no other option.

On a different but similar note, is there a solution to mitigate the muffler u-shaped bracket from breaking/cracking? The bracket on mine is broken where the clamp goes thru. It's been welded several times but still broke now.

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 435

A photo of what you are looking for might help.
    Graham

Here's the bracket I'm referring to:

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 435

That doesn't appear to be a muffler shop repair to fix that. Why not just cut off the upper part inline with the bottom of the cutout and put a new hole to run the mounting clamp through. Simple tools, a hacksaw and a drill. Drill two holes side by side so they outer edges intersect and then file it flat. It looks like the clamp would have enough adjustment to take up the extra length needed. Either that or just get a new piece of flat aluminum, bend it and drill holes like above. If you don't feel comfortable doing that you could take it off and send it to me and I will make you one.
    Graham

The muffler shop reference was for the tailpipe exiting the muffler. Looking for an off the shelf piece without having a shop build one in-place.

I can replicate the muffler bracket as well. I'm more interested if anyone has figured another mounting method to mitigate this from cracking again. I plan to use 1/4" AL and maybe get a band-clamp and support the muffler housing from another point on the frame.

Liked: 9

Default Al Cracking

If I understand right, in the photo the cracked bracket (at its hose clamp hole) is one of two problems to solve. On this one I'll suggest that using steel rather than aluminum is a good direction to go. At about 450 deg F aluminum starts to become very weak, and connected to a muffler I bet you're going to get hotter than that. Make a new bracket in stainless steel, 0.050" thick to 0.063 thick and you'll likely not have that problem again.

On the tailpipe issue, take the muffler/exhaust system off and go to a fab/muffler shop with it and tell them what you want to do.

Should be easy and pretty cheap.

Randy

Liked: 268

Default off the shelf

If you created a simple saddle mount then the clamp merely locates the muffler and I would doubt you would ever break it again.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 97

I'm in San Jose and build exhausts and other repairs for formula and sports racers. If you need help with it let me know. Depending on the size of the tailpipe I may have a u-bend to replace it.

Thanks for the input guys, at least I have some options now. I need to finish some other loose ends of the car and will do the exhaust piece last.

Thread Information