Liked: 5

Default Replacing LF suspension on Crossle 45f

Over the past couple of years I've had contact, wheel to wheel, on the left front. There was always a small toe adjustment needed. When I bought the car in 2010 it came with spares. Many suspension pieces were in the original Crossle bags. I looked at them and they looked like they were never used. I asked myself "why am I waiting for a crash or failure to replace these"? So, I decided to replace the upper/lower wishbones, steering arm (drop link?), rod ends, sleeve nut.... I got everything off, but I'm not sure how to remove the Outer bearing (A7 in the Crossle 30/32/35 FF diagram). Is this pressed in somehow? Should I just purchase a new one instead of reuse? Pic shows looking where the hub goes into the lower wishbone. Same question for installing the bearing... Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Nettleship
    1981 Crossle 45F

Liked: 804

Those spherical bearings are usually pushed in from one side against a shoulder, with a C-clip holding it in place on the side it went in from.
    To get it out, remove the C-clip, heat up the ring of the A-arm around it gently with a torch while pushing on the spherical with something appropriately size like a socket. If you time it correctly, the A-arm will expand just enough to let the bearing drop out before enough heat is transferred to the bearing to equalize the temperatures and re-establish the tight fit.
    May take a few tries before you time it right. Don't overdue the heat on the A-arm.

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 193

Default Bearing

I would recommend using a new bearing. That way your current A arm is a ready to use spare in case of damage at the track.

Liked: 5

Followup question. What is the recommended way to remove the hub and leave the bearing in place? Didn't want to start off by just pounding on the threaded bolt...
    Scott Nettleship
    1981 Crossle 45F

Thread Information