Thread: Enduro?

Liked: 83

Default Enduro?

SVRA is running a one hour Enduro at VIR Gold Cup this coming Sunday. There's no sprint race in the morning for FF/CF, just the Enduro, into which Group 2 has been placed.

I've never run one or even contemplated running one, but the weather looks right (for now) and I'll have buddies there, and it's certainly unique.

There is a mid-point mandatory, 5 min. pit stop for everyone, at which time I can refuel with the help of my nomex-suited friends.

Why should I do this or not do this? Battery life? Wear and tear on the motor or gearbox with a one-hour event? Stamina of the driver? (61, avid runner, decent shape) Mixed vehicle traffic?

I've checked a few races and don't see many FF/CFs running Enduros, so there must be a reason, or two, or three.

David

Liked: 29

Dennis Firestone, yes the Indy 500 winner, has a video on YouTube of running his Crossle at an enduro. It is worth a watch if you are considering running an enduro.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 927

Did not realize that he won Indy. Did win the Runoffs a few times.
    Really nice person. Met him a couple of times at Road Atlanta in the 70's 80's.

Liked: 804

A full hour on your car shouldn't be an issue unless you have unusually high oil consumption (top it off at the pit stop?). Does it consume/puke water as well ? (harder to top off in the heat of an enduro).
    Only issue I see is battery voltage with a typical full-loss system in a non-Honda car. How many sessions, and at what intensity, does your car typically run between charges?

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

I've run a 1 hr formula car enduro - which ends up being a scosh over 45 minutes with the pit stop.

Can be a challenge in a formula car to get out, re-fuel, and get back in in five minutes if you need to remove bodywork. Might be worth an experiment to run the car "naked" at the back so you don't have to fool with any of that.

While the car's being fueled adjust the belts and use bungees to hold them out of the way for an easy slide-in.

i had to cover the headers with a welding blanket due to their proximity to the fuel filler. Helps if you know exactly how much fuel you need and can just dump it in without regard to overfilling.

Liked: 126

Depends on how much electronics/electrics you're running. On my old FF Crossle, the only battery draws were a transponder and a Pertronix. Mechanical gauges, no data, no fuel pump, no camera. It would run all weekend (five to six 15-25 minute sessions AND all engine starts except the first one of the day) on one fully charged Odyssey PC545. YMMV...
    I've run a half dozen Vintage enduros in my Datsuns (1-2 hours in length), the most fun I've had racing. Find a way to add it to your resume, you'll regret it if you had the chance and didn't do it.
    TroyT - SFR SCCA, VARA, CSRG, SVRA
    www.ThingsThatGoVroom.net
    '00 Carbir CS2, P2 #60
    '79 Lola T492, S2 #61

Liked: 188

Quote Originally Posted by beachguy12 View Post
    Dennis Firestone, yes the Indy 500 winner, has a video on YouTube of running his Crossle at an enduro. It is worth a watch if you are considering running an enduro.
    No disrespect to Mr. Firestone who made it to the big leagues and raced Indy cars for several years. He did not win the Indy 500 but was CART rookie of the year in 1980.

Default Thanks! Great encouragement.

Thanks all. Good information and I'm leaning in.

Ian - no oil or water issues, all good 'n' tight

Rick - Fuel filler is on the driver side of the firewall so no issues there. However, running without the rear engine cover would certainly allow more cooling as my engine cover encloses the exhaust header (except for a small hole). I will examine/engineer something regarding belts.

Troy - battery powers only the Pertronix II and a Stach Tach; the MyLaps transponder is a rechargeable as is the Aim Solo. I do have the starting jumper wired in so will make judicious use of that. Not sure if they will allow that battery to be handed over the wall at the pit stop to re-start but that would help a little. For sure a couple of practice efforts by my team on Saturday afternoon would be beneficial. Thanks for the encouragement.

David

Liked: 208

Watched the enduro at the Glen a couple of weeks ago with some of the FF cars entered. Maybe its just me, but, I'm nervous about being on the track with cars that are 2-3 times the mass of my 925 pound FF. Just be sure they see you.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Mixed group

I hear you, Ralph. After the VRG driver school we all took to the track and it was very different passing a lot of cars quite easily, and also being passed by some big iron. I've been passed by some FBs, which will get your attention quickly, but the mixed group offers both passing/passed challenges. Point well noted and "installed."

David

Liked: 17

[QUOTE=DK540;518233]Thanks all. Good information and I'm leaning in.

.................. I will examine/engineer something regarding belts.

I had planned to be there to help if you or Allen needed additional support, but my plans had to be changed. Did you ever look at how I keep my belts out of the way as I get into or out of the car?
    3/4 or 1" VELCRO works great and is a fast and simple install.
    Last edited by Dave Cutchins; 09.20.16 at 11:34 AM.
    Dave Cutchins
    Stohr F-1000

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 208

Quote Originally Posted by DK540 View Post
    I hear you, Ralph. After the VRG driver school we all took to the track and it was very different passing a lot of cars quite easily, and also being passed by some big iron. I've been passed by some FBs, which will get your attention quickly, but the mixed group offers both passing/passed challenges. Point well noted and "installed."

David
    Yes, those FBs (love 'em) can come up on you quickly. But, at least they are the same size as our FFs.

Best of luck and have fun.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 246

Have run a few mixed enduros with elec fuel pump and Petronix but no data Sys with PC545. Have run 2hrs, no problem. If you are looking for track time it can be good. The big caveat for me is you need to be very cognizant that you are on the track with cars that weigh 3 times what you do and will not see you. Need to be extremely careful with overtaking. Todd

Liked: 67

I used to run enduros with my Sports 2000 and a PC680 with a pertronix and three (yes, I know ) data systems. Not so much anymore because the GT cars make me very nervous, even though I'm quicker than 95% of them...
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Thanks again, all. Yep, Dave, I am thinking some Velcro, too.

Peter, you're having a rather prolific day on the Forum. See you at VIR!

David

Liked: 67

About a subject of some import, especially to me, David!
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member hdsporty1988's Avatar
    Liked: 195

Default Enduro

I ran a few of these some years ago in a TIGA club ford. I would recommend having
    a drink such as Gatorade in a bottle with a straw you can drink from available at the pitstop. The major issue is refueling quickly without splashing. Do you have a race fuel type jug that can empty quickly through a hose? If not I would either buy or borrow one.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

Default Enduros

According to my track log I've run FF's in the traditional Arizona 75 minute Thanksgiving open wheel enduro's since 2008. A five minute, timed, mandatory pit stop gives plenty of time to gas. Drivers have to be out of the car during fueling. No problem with battery life with a good PC680 on the RF85, RF96 or Piper Honda.

The only problem is after 75 minutes you're upset that you have to stop. 8^)

I'm a bit of a slow learner. It took 8 spins in the 2009 enduro before I came in to find a loose rear control arm bolt. Don't laugh too hard at me, Ha. It was raining at one end of the track that day. That's my excuse.

Thread Information