Liked: 102

Default DB-6 oil level measurement

After way too many years, I realized that the method that I have been using to check the oil level is meaningless. I have been doing a dip stick check straight down to the cast-in shelf under the fill cap with the engine running. The problem is that the shelf is always flooded with oil from the scavenge return line when the engine is running, so it looks fine if there is any oil in there at all.

The little tower for the fill cap does not provide a straight shot into the main volume of the tank, so some sort of flexible device is required to get in there. Also, it is easy to bottom a bent wire on the input shaft pass-through feature instead of the bottom of the tank.

So, what is the right way to check the oil level in a Swift DB-6 Honda?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default Engine off?

How about idling the engine for a few minutes to scavenge the pan and circulate the oil, then shut engine off, then wait five minutes before inserting the dipstick.

edit: the above is the description I got from Bill Maisey when I bought his Honda-powered DB-1. His notes indicated a desired 0.5" oil level on the dipstick (after it hits the top shelf). I don't know how your DB-6 reservoir differs.
    Last edited by Jon Jeffords; 09.26.16 at 1:17 PM. Reason: DB-1 Honda comment

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

If you can get to some constant height point in the tank, overfill it a touch and after a session when it has puked out any excess into the can, wait a good long time to allow everything to siphon into it's "normal" home and measure from the bottom or fixed height point in the reservoir.

On my Citation, I made a piece of bent welding rod and "calibrated " it as described above and then cut a small groove in it where the oil level was.

The main trick is to check at a consistent condition.

Liked: 20

Redesign little tower to provide straight shot to tank?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 79

Same problem on my LD200's. Some folks measure the oil level above the platform with a narrow scale. I use a flexible grasping tool, also known as a claw finger pickup tool, to measure to the bottom of the tank. The wrapped wire spring that makes the tool flexible holds the oil nicely. The flex allows it to slide easily around the obstructions. Then I lay the oil bearing tool on a scale to give a measurement in inches that I can log, typically 7.5 inches from the bottom.

I used to use welding rod but I was always losing them. Everyone needs a grasping tool for when you drop the gas cap under the front of the engine, Ha.

YMMV Jim

Liked: 26

Default Checking oil in a DB6

You have to run it for a bit first, shut it down, then wait a few minutes for it to settle (as already stated). Use a large white zip tie such as the A/C guys use ( 3' long ) and push it in gently. You will get the hang of it, and figure out it goes easier to the rear of the fill tube. It sometimed takes a few tries. Mark the zip tie with a magic marker at 6 1/2' from the bottom and you will have it. You can see even new oil very easily. I noticed someone posted a measurement of 7 1/2". That would be your choice. Either way, the dip stick I use works very well. John S

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information