Thread: Fuel

Liked: 0

Hey guys,

What type of fuels are you guys trying with this engine. This will be my first time with fuel injection. The Vee just ran AV gas.

Tom

Liked: 6

Tom for the first 12 to 15 engines we used AvGas on the dyno work fine after a few people have had their cars on the track we ran some 94 octane Amoco,engines ran just as well.

Thanks QS,

I was not sure about running AV gas in a engine that seems more production based than most race engine. Not sure how much of the emission system is still on the engine.

Tom

Liked: 218

Sandy (QS),
    I ran VP C12 which worked fine. Do you think Amoco Ultimate would work as well? And if so is it a legal fuel for SCCA's testing? BTW the car ran great at Elkart Lake last weekend (except for the sound problem). After two warnings I feathered through turn three and the sound meter, just to be able to finish the race without getting black flagged. Of course I had to let it loose on the last lap to see what it could do. Figured they couldn't black flag me on the checkered lap. Wrong!! They gave me a finish, but moved me to last place. Damn, my first National points in an Atlantic. Lots of interest in the paddock. At least four guys were serious about purchasing one.

Steve Stadel
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Hey Steve,
    I noticed that you are running in CenDiv.
    Are there any other CenDiv guys running the new Formula car? So far it looks like just you and me. I ordered mine last Monday so I will no doubt not be out this year. Should be a fun winter building her up. I'm located in the Detroit area, where are you based at?

-Tom

Tom:

Did Enterprises give you a delivery date? When I emailed them last month, they said they had a shipment due in a few weeks with three unsold cars. I was planning on ordering a car in December, expecting to be on track in May or June. Does this sound wildly optimistic?

I'm a NEOhio member, but we'll probably assemble the car at my brother's place in Detroit. Any chance we could look yours over when it comes in?

Brian

Liked: 47

Brian,

F.Y.I. expect a price increase of $4000 to $5000 effective the '03 Run Offs. V-D and Enterprises agreed to hold the price for one year from introduction at the '02 Run Offs. It is my understanding that an order w/deposit prior to the increase date will lock the current price. Contact your CSR or Enterprises to confirm.

We have just finished our second car and I continue to be very satisfied with the car and quality of construction. A few new car issues to be sorted out, but by the time your car is delivered, I would think everything will be resolved.

Regards, Don

Regards,

just another FYI two of the three cars on the boat right now are already sold. we've got one and it looks like tom m has the other, so if you wanna dodge the price increase better move quickly.

mines dark blue :-p

i'm still scratching my head over what color combo to do on the car and i gotta buy a new helmet (mines snell 95) so i guess i'll just have to do it to match

as for gas, i'd almost think this motor is low enough compression to just run good pump gas 94 octane or a mix of pump and race fuel, that would be nice to keep the fuel bill down as well.

AV gas is 100 octane isn't it? or right around there somewhere? whats that stuff worth a gallon?

I pay $2.73 or so per gallon for Av Gas

Av Gas is 102 Low Lead...I think

Brian,

I ordered mine 1 1/2 weeks ago. In Black (nice)
    No problem in coming over to check it out once it gets here. I was told 7 to 10 weeks for delivery. 5 weeks for the container to get from England to Enterprises. The rest to my door.
    Let's keep our fingers crossed.
    By the way, Av gas is 100 Octane low lead and about $2.00 a gallon around Detroit.

Anyone know the latest on the muffler for this beast?

-Tom

are we running o2 sensors? if so its probably a good idea to stock a few extras because the leaded fuels really mess with them, they work ok but i'm not sure what kind of life to expect out of them, i know at dyno's if your running leaded they charge you extra for damage to there wideband.

when we dyno'd our evo it was 40 bucks more [img]graemlins/skull.gif[/img]

I contacted Enterprises today RE the price increase. They told me that there will be a price increase soon, though they don't know the amount yet. They also don't have the exact date, but expect it to be late September/early October. If you order before that date, you get the current price.

Liked: 6

There is no O2 sensor.

Originally posted by pete98m3:
    are we running o2 sensors? if so its probably a good idea to stock a few extras because the leaded fuels really mess with them, they work ok but i'm not sure what kind of life to expect out of them, i know at dyno's if your running leaded they charge you extra for damage to there wideband.

when we dyno'd our evo it was 40 bucks more [img]graemlins/skull.gif[/img]

I wouldn't advise any type of pump gas. Oxygenators and additives will cause a failure in SCCA's fuel testing program. Otherwise these engines have a fairly low compression and would do fine on most high octane pump fuels.

Scott Brickey
    FSCCA #71

Liked: 553

Originally posted by Phulkrum:
    I wouldn't advise any type of pump gas. Oxygenators and additives will cause a failure in SCCA's fuel testing program. Otherwise these engines have a fairly low compression and would do fine on most high octane pump fuels.

Scott Brickey
    FSCCA #71
    Scott, you're right. The SCCA has determined that commonly available pump gas is just too hazardous to run in formula cars and sports racers. Can't have that. Oh no. Wouldn't be prudent.

Russ the smart aleck
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 11

I've been running 93 octane Whatsonsale with no problems so far. Haven't had it fuel tested yet.

Justin

The problem isn't pump gases' oxygenators and additives, it's their ability (unintended) to mask other "performance enhancing" compounds.

Scott Brickey

Liked: 218

Tom,
    Just got back from vacation, so didn't answer your post til now. My partner and I have two cars. Mine is red and his is black (very cool). We'll both be running at the Chicken Regional at Elkart Lake, August 16 & 17, plus a lot next year. As far as fuel, I'll run C12 until I use up the barrel, then will probably switch to pump gas (until I'm told not to). I figure what the hell, I've been bounced for sound, might as well get bounced for fuel too!

Steve
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Thread Information