Liked: 42

Default NJMP 2016 Thread

F1600 is heading back to NJMP this weekend for its second annual "end of August" weekend at the New Jersey track.

The new two-day format should be quite interesting and the Championship is quite tight with six races to go.

Liked: 151

Default NJMP 2016 Thread

So I saw something for the first time ever at the racetrack today. After the F1600 race today, the tech guys had to go in to the cars and try to determine where the transponders were relative to each other to help decide who won the race. There was a .001 second difference in the lap times. That was some pretty close racing. IMG_0820.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 353

Which is why the GCR doesn't allow transponder scoring (only timing.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    So I saw something for the first time ever at the racetrack today. After the F1600 race today, the tech guys had to go in to the cars and try to determine where the transponders were relative to each other to help decide who won the race. There was a .001 second difference in the lap times. That was some pretty close racing. IMG_0820.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Peter O is, as is almost always the case, correct, transponder location utterly irrelevant to finishing position.
    Otherwise there would be yards long noses with the transponders mounted way the hell out in front !
    Maybe with alloy nerf bars inside to protest the thing I guess.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

If we keep having finished like that one, we're going to need a horse racing photo finish camera. BTW, the Series videos every F1600 finish.

The third race margin of victory was .009 and we all yawned .

I think it is hard to describe how good the racing in this class is. Its not just the .001 margin of victory in race two- 5 cars finished in a 0.9 second spread. This happens, race after race after race, not to mention how little car to car contact there is. These kids play hard but nice, and have grown to respect each other over the course of the season.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

7. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
    If we keep having finished like that one, we're going to need a horse racing photo finish camera. BTW, the Series videos every F1600 finish.

I think it is hard to describe how good the racing in this class is. Its not just the .001 margin of victory in race two- 5 cars finished in a 0.9 second spread. This happens, race after race after race, not to mention how little car to car contact there is. These kids play hard but nice, and have grown to respect each other over the course of the season.
    Saturday afternoon I watched the F1600 race from the tower, was the first time I had observed a FRP F1600 race instead of driving in it. I was impressed & there was a good amount of people watching cars changes positions lap after lap. I have watched FA, F2000 races in the past but never a F1600 race. The other races I left before the end, this one was worth watching right to the end.
    Steve Bamford

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 679

If they'ed televise this stuff, they could put F1 out of business. I rarely watch F1,but I'd watch this!

PS: Congrats to Brandon Dixon in FC. First win in the series.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 804

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
    These were staggeringly good races, and while there's another immense Apexspeed thread on the subject, where the h*ll were all the competitors??

Sure, maybe our FA class didnt put on the most riveting of displays, but we're at risk of losing the best thing to happen in racing in decades ....
    Last edited by Lotus7; 08.30.16 at 1:11 PM.

If I can get up to "won't get lapped and mess up the finish" speed on the spec tires, i plan to be at VIR next spring. I went to the SARRC/MARRS, and there was nobody else in a FF registered. I figured all the cars were with you guys.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

The big teams are fully committed to next year and already testing drivers in preparation for 2017. It seems that people can see through the hype of other Series that cost twice or triple the cost of F1600, while providing racing that is clearly inferior.

We need to build the 2nd half of the field. The best way to do that is for a bunch of racers to commit to a few of the same events instead of scattering entries around at different SCCA events. Pick some races, and convince your competitors to join you.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 20

Greg I was wondering what others are planning for 2017, in both 1600 and 2000.
    I would like to add a 1600 to my team but worried about car count.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

Umm- adding a 1600 would help the car count...
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny T. View Post
    Greg I was wondering what others are planning for 2017, in both 1600 and 2000.
    I would like to add a 1600 to my team but worried about car count.
    I have made a real effort to get out and talk to other drivers and teams at the past few events. Everybody seems very positive and seems to be working to grow, rather than just survive. IMO, most of the negativity is coming from outsiders. Fortunately, the future of the Series won't be determined by people living in Florida or British Columbia.

When car counts are down, it is opportunity for drivers and teams to improve and move up the pecking order. I think we have seen that in F2000 this year. While the NJMP event had new race winners, the entire grid was the tightest of the season. F1600 had good racing through the field in Atlanta, Mid-Ohio, and Pitt, but seems more prone to fluctuation due to the crossover to other groups.

Having done some racing with other groups this year, I have never been more appreciative of the FRP operation, and am fully committed to maintaining or expanding our presence.
    http://www.riceraceprep.com/2016/08/...ces-expansion/

20. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1403

I have for some time been working on a new F1600 design. I have done this as I have been doing a major remanufacturing job on a 94 Citation FF. Both ends of the remanufactured car would be used on the new design. The biggest change would be a revised frame. The new design brings a significant reduction in the weight of the car and a big decrease in the polar moment of the car. The car would also be designed around the Hoosier radial tires.

The original goal of the new FF project was to see if I could make a big reduction in the cost of building a new FF. The goal was a car in the $50,000 to $60,000 price range. That seems doable.

With the declining entries in F1600 and F2000, I have been discouraged from going forward with any new car projects.

Rebuilding and updating cars is a different story. That end of the business still chugs along.

I would really be excited to see a program that would grow the fields in F1600 and F2000 back over 30 or more cars. I won the June Sprints and only had be beat 85 racing buddies in FF. There are enough cars around to have those fields again. What does it take to get those cars back to the tracks? The rebuild is a Kent powered car. So that ain't an excuse.

Liked: 57

Default F1600 Racing in 2017

K-Hill Motorsports is dedicated to 1600 racing. We have 3 new Mygale cars in stock and for immediate delivery. We hope to run 4 cars in 1600 next year.

Any other questions about 1600 racing please feel free to send me a private email at:

khillracing@comcast.net

Kris Kaiser

K-Hill Motorsports, owner
    Mygale North America, distributor

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 159

Default second string group

as soon as this seasons VIR race I am considering entering with the knowledge that I will be off the back of the pack, Who wants to join me? we could make an agreement to pull off once the lead pack is within a straight of us and a do a self imposed drive through penalty for being slow, and then rejoin in time to watch 7-10 cars fight for the lead.

Jim, how about committing to VIR this year? Anyone else??

My intention is to still take the race very seriously, just on a smaller budget, and with a severely diminished tank full of raw talent. These lead guys are SUPER drivers! In nice cars.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Roux View Post
    as soon as this seasons VIR race I am considering entering with the knowledge that I will be off the back of the pack, Who wants to join me? we could make an agreement to pull off once the lead pack is within a straight of us and a do a self imposed drive through penalty for being slow, and then rejoin in time to watch 7-10 cars fight for the lead.

Jim, how about committing to VIR this year? Anyone else??

My intention is to still take the race very seriously, just on a smaller budget, and with a severely diminished tank full of raw talent. These lead guys are SUPER drivers! In nice cars.

Steve
    I am on the road for the 2 weeks prior, so cannot make any commitments, but it is my intent to run my Reynard at the VIR finale. It could also get bumped from the trailer by a customer car. I can also provide good used tires for anybody.
    Last edited by problemchild; 09.02.16 at 8:22 AM.

Default VIR in the fall

Steve,
    I wish I could. There is nothing like VIR in the fall. However, I am still waiting on parts, so I can try the setup, then have to order spacers. I'll count myself lucky to make the SIC. Plus, a Pro weekend / championship deciding race isn't my first choice for where to try the new spec tire for the first time. Spring is the best I can do. Hopefully by then, we can pick up a few more. The times I have run before were super, but then the club guys kind of fell out, and the rest got new cars and drivers too fast for me. But all it takes is one or two others near your speed to have a great time!
    BTW: I haven't looked lately.What's the entry fee these days?
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Thread Information