Liked: 42

Default NJMP 2016 Weekend Topic

Back to New Jersey this weekend with the new two-day weekend trial format. Going to be busy once official practice starts on Saturday morning.

Looks like MZR entries are moving in the right direction too!

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4363

Congratulations to Brandon Dixon, Wren, and crew for a dominating win and pole in race 1 at NJMP. Lots of hard work has gone into building and developing his and other Citations over the past few years, so great to see their first FRP win.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

3. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1886

Congrats to both first-time pole sitters and winners!

Liked: 3787

Isn't that the first ever Mazda win in F2kCS?

There goes the neighborhood.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Congratulations to both Brandon & Trent on two deserving wins. Nice to see both of them do well. First MZR win as well.

Brandon continues to make improvements to his car each & every weekend since he first brought it out last year at Mid Ohio. Watch for more wins from Brandon.

Trent missed Friday's test day due to getting set at school so it does show you can do well by only making a two day event. That comes with a talented driver like Trent of course.
    Steve Bamford

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

I drove the 'other' VD MZR in the F2000 races this weekend.

My seat from my RF03 fit right in. As soon as I sat in it my body remembered everything and started to bruise up and hurt. Shifting was really the only difference I had to get used to; with a H pattern you know instantly and subconsciously what gear you're in as soon as you touch the shift lever. With the sequential you have to count and remember- these cars did not have a dash indicator- but it wasn't really ever an issue.

The motor felt a little smoother than a Zetec and I found out why: The Zetec has a 8lb. flywheel, the MZR- 20lb. It also seemed to take a little longer to spool up coming out of a corner (but that also could be the limited gear ratios). Other than that, I could tell no difference.

I want to thank Team Pelfrey for giving me the chance to drive the car and their patience with an old dog in the seat. The prep attention and driver coaching was absolutely first rate.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 1415

With a plentiful supply of VD MZR cars just waiting, maybe we will see the entries for this series grow back to where they should be. FRP should and can be the best small bore, formula racing program in the country.

We should have 30 plus car fields for both F2000 and F1600.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Brandon Dixon's Avatar
    Liked: 127

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

It was a good weekend for us. It has been a struggle to get the pace that is needed to even be in a position to win when things go well. The level of competition in the series is serious.

Congratulations to Trent with a seemingly perfect drive on Sunday, you pressured me into a mistake while I was trying very, very hard to stay out front.

Congratulations to Steve for an excellent championship run. There was no one else close. The Rice Prep crew got that car back on the track a couple of times when most would have run out of time. Impressive.

It's easier to be back at work on a Monday morning after an all-night tow when you have such a good weekend.

If you are ever on the fence about doing an FRP race, get off the fence and come to the track. The atmosphere in the paddock is great, the competition is fantastic, the track time is plentiful, and the BS is minimal. People should be taking Bob up on his offer for reduced entry fees for first timers. We will find you some good used tires to get up to speed with, these things last quite well.

12. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 996

With a plentiful supply of VD MZR cars just waiting, maybe we will see the entries for this series grow back to where they should be. FRP should and can be the best small bore, formula racing program in the country.
    There is a plentiful supply of excellent VD Zetec cars as well at much better price points. We need to find new homes for those cars if the current owners are not going to race!

Nice work Brandon, Trent, Steve and your respective crews! It sounds like it was a nice weekend for all!

Thread Information