Contributing Member
    Liked: 1

Default 7" and 9" r25 tire

I know most everyone has switched to the smaller width FC wheels due to not enough heat generated with the 7"/9" widths. I'm thinking of trying R25 compound with the original 7/9 format. Has anyone tried this combo to increase tire temps? I realize with more grip camber settings, roll stiffness, and tire pressures may need to be adjusted.
    Worth trying?

Len

Liked: 279

Others can chime in but I think most are running the 7 and 9 wheels. Some are running 8 and 10's which are allowed as well. I usually run the 7 and 8 tires on 7 and 9 wheels. I think the FC wheels are 6 and 8....No?
    Ciao,

Joel
    Piper DF-5 F1000

Liked: 273

Joel is 100% correct. The FB's run 7 & 9 inch, this is not a FC width. We once ran 8 & 10 but not long after everyone figured out that the tires simply never got hot enough.

Some have tried or use the 6 & 8 combo but most feel it isn't the fast setup.

I personally prefer the R25 compound all the time, I get a ridiculous number of heat cycles out of them and I'm pretty certain this is the case with most of the guys at the pointy end of the FB grid.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 0

Default Hoosier Tire size

Gary which Hoosier tire sizes are you running on the 7 front and 9 inch rear.

Liked: 273

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Gary which Hoosier tire sizes are you running on the 7 front and 9 inch rear.
    Hoosier lists these as FC tires but I doubt they're being used for that purpose, I could be wrong though.

20.5 x 7 x 13 front

22 x 9 x 13 rear

Back in the infancy of FB 2008-09 we ran the 8 / 10 and could never get them above like 140 degrees...not good for stick but they'd last forever.

FB's are easy on tires, so much so that I started the Runoffs last year on a 2 cycle old set of tires. And that wasn't because I was too cheap to buy new, I just like the way they grip at 2 heat cycles.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Contributing Member
    Liked: 94

Those are also used on DSR/P2 cars. I use the 20 X 7.5 and 20 X 9 on my DSRs. The 7.5 front is really an 8" tire. Its called a 7.5 to differentiate it from the 20 X 8 which is a cantilever tire used on small bore production cars and a totally different construction.

Thread Information