Liked: 28

Default FE rules updated July FasTrack Page 5-6

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 11

Short version: min weight is now 1270, us fat guys can eat again. Thanks Robey!
    And move your transponder per the enterprises bulletin from last year.

Justin

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 25

Transponder location is NOT per last years bulletin.
    Dave

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by Robey Clark View Post
    Thank you for fixing the minimum weight!

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 59

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    Transponder location is NOT per last years bulletin.
    Good catch, Dave.

So, now that I moved mine last year to the aft position, I get to locate it in a 3rd position. I would love to put it back where is was beneath the steering rack, forward of the bulkhead. It has survived multiple crashes there, with never an issue of damage or failure to be consistently detected. I could return it there within these rules, except perhaps for someone's interpretation of "unobstructed view." My interpretation would be that it is not an optical device, so as an RF device, the view it needs is one that is not obstructive to an RF signal.

The AMB installation manual defines clear view in the following statement: "Make sure that the transponder has a clear view to the track with no metal or carbon fiber underneath."

Putting it on the outside of the car right by the front control arms is likely the worst place on the entire car one could put it to avoid damage. Do i need to start carrying spare transponders?

If the intent of all this concern about location is to use them for scoring (not just timing) then "within 4 inches of the mounting pin" could be changed to "No farther away from the mounting pin than the back of Scott Rettich's car. Or half a lap, whichever is less."

Best regards,
    Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

9. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 353

Experience has shown that your analysis of the damage risk in the specified location is unjustified. It is the standard location for most formula car series.

SCCA does not permit scoring with transponders.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cruz View Post
    Putting it on the outside of the car right by the front control arms is likely the worst place on the entire car one could put it to avoid damage. Do i need to start carrying spare transponders?

If the intent of all this concern about location is to use them for scoring (not just timing) then "within 4 inches of the mounting pin" could be changed to "No farther away from the mounting pin than the back of Scott Rettich's car. Or half a lap, whichever is less."

Best regards,
    Eric
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cruz View Post
    Eric -

Mine has been in that location since 2008, and has yet to be damaged. Even when I wrote off the car in T7 at the 2013 Runoffs, the transponder survived (the LF corner was totally ripped apart and the wheel was broken).

Do we need a special wireless remote transponder that can surreptitiously be placed in the nose of Scott's car? Hmmmm........
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 106

If you all put your transponders on Scott's car, you all win, now that's spec racing!

I kid, I kid...
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Olivola View Post
    Experience has shown that your analysis of the damage risk in the specified location is unjustified. It is the standard location for most formula car series.
    "Analysis?" Surely you jest!!

Best regards,
    Eric
    - Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Olivola View Post
    SCCA does not permit scoring with transponders.
    I remember that language from versions of the GCR years ago. Can't seem to find it in the current rev when searching for "scoring" in the .pdf. Why would anyone care enough to make a rule on standardized location unless it was used for scoring? I'm just tired of moving the damn thing around every time they change their mind.

Thanks all. We'll try to make it look like the picture.

Best regards,
    Eric
    - Ted Williams

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information