Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 120

Results. Race report later. Coffin passes Follet going into 5 on last lap, hangs on for win.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Initial report (might change later as more details are revealed):

Greg Coffin picked up where he left off last season. He once again showed that consistency and reliability were the name of the game as a lack of mistakes, being opportunistic, and luck paved his way to another NWFC victory.

Early in the race, the torque of Mitch Egner's Zetec got him out in front of Reny Follet, but it wouldn't last long as the scrappy Follet kept the pressure on, eventually leading to a Egner mistake that dropped him back through the FC field.

Reny kept up his consistency that eventually led to a 2+ second gap over Coffin, who after the race claimed to have figured out a gearing for the car that managed to slow him down even more than he can as the driver.

But, Reny's hard work was all for not as Scott Morton had a tie rod shear off next to start/finish at the beginning of his sixth lap that led to Scott performing some automotive ballet at 110 mph. Russ Werner also had his race come to an early end on the same lap. Werner's car was non-blocking and was left until the end of the race to clear. Morton's car was hauled off after a lengthy time behind the pace car.

The pace car bunched up the remaining four FC's, although truth be told there was less than 6 sec between them when it came on. When the green flag dropped the running order was Follet, Coffin, Yuen, and Egner. All four had been running lap times within half a second of each other. The starter dropped the green flag and held out the last lap board. Follet got a good jump, but so did Coffin and the two pulled a slight gap on Yuen and Egner. Coffin kept the pressure on and noticed Reny getting loose in 2. He kept with him and unleashed his now patented (pending) inside move into the first hairpin and that was it (it was suggested afterwards that Reny take a peak at Roger Smetaniuk's YouTube channel to see he wasn't the first victim to such a move). Glen Yuen drove a helluva race to finish out the Podium and hold off Mitch Egner.

Even though Coffin won, the day belonged to Reny Follet, as it was clear without the long caution he would have most likely continued to increase his gap. In reality he is actually ahead in points so far this weekend as he would have received only half a point more for a first instead of second place, thanks to a system (designed primarily by Greg Coffin) that favors fast Pintos over fast Zetecs.

Race 1 points
    Zetec:
    Coffin 11.5
    Egner 8
    Morton. 1
    R Smetaniuk 1

Pinto:
    Follet. 13
    Yuen. 9.5
    Werner. 1
    Aitken. 1

Overall:
    Follet. 13
    Coffin. 11.5
    Yuen. 9.5
    Egner. 8
    Etc.

Other notes:
    Roger Smetaniuk started from the back, passed everyone not in an FC, had his engine bog down under load and decided to call it a day. Gavin Aitken got his car put together midway through the the race, completed one lap and came in. He was able to make the sprint races at night and complete them.

Egner passed Follet on lap one in the sprint races and stayed ahead of him and coffin the rest of the way. Should he DNF at some point in time during the year he can substitute this race in to help out his point total.

Lastly, there are over 15 FC's in the paddock, but with only four finishers today it has to be the lowest percentage of those who finished over those that showed up. Hopefully things can get worked out for tomorrow.

Edit: apologies for only 1t in your name Reny. However, too difficult to add it on from my phone. I'll work it out in post.

Staying dry in Spokane today so far.

Quali 2 results:

1:26.404 Egner
    1:26.521 Coffin
    1:26.992 Follett
    1:27.136 Roger Smetaniuk
    1:28.286 Yuen
    1:28.665 Werner
    1:28.675 Aitken
    1:30.579 Babkirk
    1:31.101 Brian Smetaniuk
    1:31.296 Morton

Contributing Member
    Liked: 26

Hey Charlie, thats new nail polish color for you huh? Good job boys, have some fun, race safe

Quote Originally Posted by Blair Robertshaw View Post
    Hey Charlie, thats new nail polish color for you huh? Good job boys, have some fun, race safe
    Ya it goes well with my skin tone.

Race 2 is getting under way and storm clouds are looming.

Check out live timing at http://racelt.asuscomm.com

Seriously, check it out it's a nifty piece of software.

Follett has a broken axel and is out.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 26

That's excellent live timing software! you guys have organized a great OW FC series! Well done boys!!

I didn't get a pic of results before they wiped the screen, but Zetec went Egner, R Smetaniuk, Coffin. Egner got out to a big lead on lap one and didn't let up. Coffin spun in 9 a third of the way in and couldn't make it up.

Aitken won Pinto. I'll get full results up later when time sheets are available.

Race 2 results

Points through two races:

Zetec:
    Egner: 20
    Coffin: 17.5
    R Smetaniuk: 8.5
    B Smetaniuk: 4.5
    Scott Morton: 4

Pinto:
    Follett: 13
    Aitken: 13
    Werner: 9.5
    Yuen: 9.5
    Babkirk: 5.5

Overall:

Quali 3 results. Race in half an hour

Liked: 18

Might go without saying now, but Mitch is fast... Really fast... Looking forward to seeing the FC's back in Mission! Good luck!
    Robbie Arthur FV #67

Liked: 15

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie.Arthur View Post
    Might go without saying now, but Mitch is fast... Really fast... Looking forward to seeing the FC's back in Mission! Good luck!
    Yeah I was going to "warn" these guys about Mitch after I saw him during his "novice" weekend in April but I figured they'd find out soon enough.

Jim.
    "Damn I'm old and slow"

Race 3:

Coffin
    Ross
    Yuen
    Werner
    Aitken

Full results when I get them.
    Full write up in the next day or so.

Mitch had the bolts holding the camber shims back out on his right rear on about lap ten. He had about a 10 second lead at the time.

Coffin fought the brakes on his car for most of the race.

Steve Ross finally put his car together and drove through the entire field. Might have got Coffin if the race was a few laps longer.

Coffin takes the weekend and has the points lead heading into Pacific in three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie.Arthur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JGB View Post
    Yeah I was going to "warn" these guys about Mitch after I saw him during his "novice" weekend in April but I figured they'd find out soon enough.

Jim.
    "Damn I'm old and slow"
    O ya.... We knew he and Reny were the fast ones heading into the weekend. Luck was on the side of the senior citizen though he turns 60 in under 2 weeks.

Full race 3 results attached.

Default Points

Overall:

Coffin 30*
    Yuen 23
    Egner 22*
    Aitken 22
    Werner 20.5
    R Smetaniuk 13*
    Follett 13
    Babkirk 11.5
    B Smetaniuk 11
    Morton 9*
    Ross 9*

*=Zetecs
    Last edited by ccoffin; 06.20.16 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Re-read rules, updated pinto points.

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

(Not having looked at the last 10 posts, duh, I've edited below)

#04 Mygale driven by Greg C. Coffin; Friday: Saturday; 3rd. Today:
    What a Father's Day gift, congratulations Greg!
    Last edited by HayesCages; 06.19.16 at 8:16 PM.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

3rd on Saturday. I think the biggest accomplishment was getting two firsts without setting the fast lap in any session

Liked: 145

I think the most amazing part of the weekend was three different pinto and 2 different Ztec winners. Not to mention Stephen Ross driving from 16th on the grid to second for a well earned Primus Hard Charger award and Glenn Yuen ending up second in the overall points race.

A great start to the season

20. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 13

Default Great weekend

Even with Greg's slick little move on me on the last lap of the Friday race (don't worry Greg, I took notes to hopefully repay you some day!) I thought the racing was great.

It was rather frustrating to have this little guy end my weekend early. I would like to thank everyone that searched for a spare for me. Especially Dane and Greg for checking their shops during the lunch break. I also know several others searched through their trailers also which is much appreciated. We thought Dane had a winner but it turned out to be approx. 1/4" too long to fit without binding.

Since I went home Saturday afternoon, I really appreciate this thread to keep me up to date on what happened Sunday!

I'm looking forward to Pacific to continue our great series!

Liked: 145

Nothing would make me happier than to get repayment mate, but since I only managed to be ahead of you for a total of four corners all weekend, I think the chances are slim. On the other hand I did have the best seat in the house to watch an almost flawless drive....video to follow

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 210

I don't understand? Why did you break the splined end off that rod??
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 442

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    I don't understand? Why did you break the splined end off that rod??
    Apparently there is a terminal velocity for mid nineties VD axles and Reny went way way beyond that!

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Points after 1 weekend

Here is some video from the final race of the weekend. Would have been good to have full power for the first couple laps but it came on later at least!

https://youtu.be/F_VqmDy_SIs

30. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Forgot to post this here

RACE REPORT NORTHWEST FC SPOKANE 2016

The 2016 Championship is underway and once again Greg Coffin is out front after the first weekend and just as he had done last season he took 2 out of 3 races. Last year Greg fought off charges from Roger Smetaniuk and Steve Ross but this year he would be all alone defending against the youth and speed of Mitch Egner and Reny Follett as both Steve and Roger experienced mech/elec issues all weekend long. The pinto class proved to be wide open with 3 different winners over the weekend with Gavin Aitken, Reny Follett, and Glenn Yuen all taking FC Pinto victories. CFC was a bit of a disaster with the home town favorite Lawrence Hayes’s Argo out of action and the perennial Spokane contender Alan Davis MIA it left the class open for new comer Brad Smith but luck would not be on Brad’s side as he spun a bearing in his Citation during Friday qualifying ending his weekend almost before it began.

Race 1
    Qualifying Friday saw youth take the early lead with Reny Follett on pole followed closely by Mitch Egner then Greg Coffin. Yuen, Werner, Morton and Smith rounded out the qualifiers with both Smetaniuk’s making the pre grid but retiring to the pits for repairs along with Steve Ross fighting a starter issue. Gavin Aitken would win the dedication award if we had one as he and his misses welcomed their first child a mere 3 weeks ago and with a car in a million pieces he still managed to arrive at the track Friday morning.

Gavin Aitken up and running in the #3 Go2mobi Van Diemen

Mitch Egner would take the early lead as he used the torque of his Zetec to get the jump on pole sitter Reny Follett in his 95 Van Diemen. Close behind was Greg Coffin studying the new challengers and staying close to see what would unfold. A little bit back we had Glenn Yuen, Russ Werner and Scott Morton making up the bulk of the field and Roger Smetaniuk working through the CF and FM fields as he had to start from the back with no qualifying time.

#4 Mitch Egner leaving a dust cloud through Turn 2

Going wide into turn 2 Mitch Egner would show some dirt track skills and keep the car together and pointed in the right direction but his mistake would cost him the lead as Reny Follett, Greg Coffin, Glenn Yuen, and Russ Werner would all get by. Roger Smetaniuk caught Scott Morton on lap 3 but as he attempted to pass the #96 Van Diemen he would develop a miss that would soon end his race. Shortly after Scott would have a scary moment on the front straight as he had a rear toe adjuster break and send him for a wild ride. Scott managed to keep it off the walls and in one piece luckily enough. The same lap would spell the end for another car as Russ Werner would fall to mechanical issues and retire. On the restart Reny had learned his lesson against those Zetecs and managed to stay ahead of Coffin with Yuen and Egner close behind. It would remain this way until the final lap of the race when Greg Coffin pulled out his patented move going deep into turn 5 making an exact replay of the pass he made on Roger Smetaniuk back in 2014 and taking the win. Gavin Aitken showing that determination again managed to get his car together and on track to complete a lap during the race and picked up a start point for his efforts.

Race 2

Race 2 pace lap as the field forms up

After a long night for many of the crews and drivers we had a good chunk of the field back in action for Saturday. Mitch Egner would begin to pick up speed taking pole on day 2 followed by Greg Coffin and Reny Follett. The session would be shortened with a coming together of Glenn Yuen and Greg Coffin so many drivers only got a couple laps in. Roger Smetaniuk would get is car up and running again for a fourth place on the grid followed by the tight group of Glenn Yuen, Russ Werner and Gavin Aitken seperated by a couple tenths. Dane Babkirk would return from illness running his 96 Van Diemen and come in ahead of Brian Smetaniuk who had his car back in one piece after some clutch work and another repaired car of Scott Morton. Towards the end of Qualifying Reny Folletts Van Diemen would be towed into the pits and eventually be diagnosed as a broken axle ending his weekend.

#04 Greg Coffin locking them up in Turn 9

Mitch Egner would once again get the jump off the line and take the early lead. Greg Coffin would fall back towards 3 rd place Roger Smetaniuk as the 2 Mygale’s stayed close. Gavin Aitken and Russ Werner continued the close lap times that they had in Qualifying and raced from flag to flag. Brian Smetaniuk followed close behind Dane Babkirk as they were chased by Scott Morton. In the cold with rain threatening Greg Coffin made a mistake going into Turn 9 and out braked himself. Roger Smetaniuk would take the position as Coffin went down the escape road and then across the dirt and back on track falling back into the clutches of Aitken and Werner.

#19 Brian Smetaniuk chasing down #2 Dane Babkirk

Further back the Dane Babkirk Brian Smetaniuk battle had been separated by lapped traffic but looked to be closing back up as we headed towards the finish. With the laps winding down Greg Coffin had gotten clear of the Aitken and Werner battle and had his sights set back on second place Roger Smetaniuk. Mitch Egner was free and clear and just had to keep it on the road for his first NWFC win. With 5 laps to go Roger Smetaniuk’s Mygale began to fail him once again and the misfire that took him out of race one returned as he slowed Greg Coffin pressed hard but ran out of laps to run down the limping Mygale. As the last Lap flag was shown Brian Smetaniuk caught the draft of #2 Dane Babkirk and they headed through 1 side by side. Going into turn 2 Smetaniuk was the first to back out of it and that turned out to be the right choice as Babkirk waited a split second to long sending him wide through 2. Unable to hold onto it with the excess speed Dane ended up on top of the hill on the outside of 2 waiting for a tow back to the pits.

Race 3
    Mitch Egner became the second fastest person ever around Spokane in an FC with a time of 1:24.791 on route to his second pole of the weekend. Greg Coffin continued his chase in second place and Roger Smetaniuk rounded out the top 3 with his car seeming to be up and running again. The Pinto battle continued in 4 th through 6 th with Russ Werner, Gavin Aitken and Glenn Yuen covered by the same small blanket that the spent the whole weekend under. Brian Smetaniuk, Dane babkirk and Scott Morton would round out the top 10. Steve Ross had got his #72 Van Diemen running but then lost the dash and didn’t make it out for Qualifying so would start the race at the back of the grid.

Race 3 pace lap

With the 5 min warning called on the pre-grid Russ Werner’s 95 Van Diemen was absent so he ended up having to start the race on the back row alongside Steve Ross. Up front Mitch Egner once again got the jump and took off with a strong lead followed by Greg Coffin. 3 rd place Roger Smetaniuk was on the way backwards through the field as cars where passing him at the end of the long straights and he was at the tail end of the FC field by lap 3 obviously down on power. A few laps in and Egner had lengthened his lead with a gap back to Coffin then another small gap back to Aitken. Slightly behind Aitken came the train of Yuen, Ross, Werner, Babkirk, B Smetaniuk and Morton. By the mid way point Yuen had taken Aitken’s 3 rd place and was being pursued by the hard charging Steve Ross making up for a weekend of frustration. Aitken had fallen back into the grips of another hard charger in Russ Werner who was looking to regain his lost spot on the grid. Roger Smetaniuk had power in his Mygale once again and had worked his way back through Morton, Babkirk and the elder Smetaniuk and was closing the gap on Werner and Aitken.

#3 Gavin Aitken and the #99 Slingshot Van Diemen of Russ Werner continue their battle

After the halfway point Mitch Egner’s race came apart as the camber shim nuts came loose on the #4 machine leading to him having to pull off and out of the lead. This handed the lead over to Greg Coffin but Coffin was keeping his eyes in the mirror as he saw Steve Ross coming on hard as he had passed Glenn Yuen to take over second place. Yuen was beginning to be pressured by Roger Smetaniuk who had worked through the Aitken / Werner battle in under a lap. Further back Brian Smetaniuk, Scott Morton and Dane Babkirk continued to battle it out. A lap after Egners exit Roger Smetaniuk lost the back end of his car coming off the back straight and Werner and Aitken got back passed. After the spin the car wasn’t feeling great so Smetaniuk made the decision to park it. With the laps counting down the running order would remain the same with Greg Coffin taking his second win followed by Steve Ross and the Pinto winner Glenn Yuen.

We also had 2 new NWFC drivers completing their novice races over the weekend as Mike Webb methodically decreased his lap times over the weekend in group 6 even after having a scare with a body panel failure at over 100mph. The other new comer Jason Gillen running Wade Andersons #68 Van Diemen in group 6 also made some great strides in lap times over the weekend hopefully they will be joining the rest of the field by the time we hit Mission.

Next stop for the series is Pacific Raceways.

32. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 131

Sorry I didn't make it guys.

As some of you know I just finished moving back to WV, so I won't be racing in the NW anymore. I was hoping to make this my last race, but there was just too much else to do.

Anyway looks like it was a lot of fun, and I hope you all have a great season.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information