Thread: WTB: AiM EVO4

Liked: 80

Default WTB: AiM EVO4

Hi all,

with the EVO5, MXL2, MXS and MXG dashes all out there and becoming commonplace, I wanted to see if anybody out there is upgrading and looking to sell their previous generation AiM stuff for a good price?

Cheers,

-Jake

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Jake ,what are you working on now... miss seeing you,,,,,,bobo

Liked: 42

EVO5 isn't out yet FWIW. But when it does hit the market there will undoubtedly be some nice EVO4s hitting the used market. I know of at least 5 or 6 of my customers who will make the change.

Liked: 67

Jake, I'll be taking in a lightly used EVO4/G-Dash combo on trade for a new MXL2 in the next week or so. PM me.

Best, Peter
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Liked: 42

That's the deal right there Plus you get Peter's support which is second to none.

Liked: 80

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wheless View Post
    Jake ,what are you working on now... miss seeing you,,,,,,bobo
    Heya Bob, good to hear from you. Working on a Corvette for some general doorslammer/hillclimb/rally fun. Maybe take a crack at the PPIHC one of these years.

SCCA racing is just about kaput for open wheel in CO, and F1000 specifically, so I'm finding other ways to get my kicks

-J

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Well you are sorely missed,,,,, we need to go out there, or you come this way,,,,,, where are the keys to the truck,,,,,,,,,

Liked: 180

What are the major differences between the EVO 4 and Evo 5

Quote Originally Posted by BrianT1 View Post
    What are the major differences between the EVO 4 and Evo 5
    The EVO4 was an update in processor power and architecture from the MXL, incorporating internal triaxial accelerometers and internal GPS. It also had higher system bandwidth and more memory than the earlier dash/logger. It parallels the Solo DL line in display capability when allied with the G-Dash/Formula Car or GT steering wheel or, to a lesser extent, the MXL-Dash (a gutless display of the same dimensions and display options as the MXL).

The EVO5 will be the "guts" of the newest generation (and completely new memory management/file structure and form) MXL2/MXS/MXG. It will also include an SD card slot, similar to the SC HD, for easy logging file transfer. It should include the WiFi that is now in the MXL2/MXG/MXS, too. It uses the 37 pin Autosport connector, as well as the 22-pin secondary harness connector, so that is more robust. It has a second CAN input/output, like the new dashes. It has a processor powerful enough to begin to mimic some of the internal math calculations (hence OUTPUT synthetically derived and calculated channels) that MoTeC dashes have been able to do for some time. Think more of a C125 equivalent with internal track database and good video integration, i.e. sending information to a 720P camera that can write it to video, real-time. Pretty cool.

I use the EVO4 a LOT with space constrained, historic cars and installations where people don't want/need a massive or even minor sized display logger, including in my own car. I LOVE it.

If you have one, keep it. If you're considering one, it will likely be some time (at least six to nine months, IMO) before the EVO5 is released, based on AiM's past performance. The EVO4 is the sweet spot in logger tech, right now. And is even a better deal when sold in a bundle with the G-Dash for only $200 more.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 102

There will also be an Evo4S that will look like the Evo4, but include the hardware of the Evo5. This will be a great unit for simple updates for folks that already have an Evo4 and want the new hardware capabilities, WiFi, and file formats.

Quote Originally Posted by romoman View Post
    There will also be an Evo4S that will look like the Evo4, but include the hardware of the Evo5. This will be a great unit for simple updates for folks that already have an Evo4 and want the new hardware capabilities, WiFi, and file formats.
    Oops, forgot about that.

Not sure the EVO4S will incorporate all the features the EVO5 will, though. Things like the extra connectivity that the 37-pin and 22-pin connectors provide, i.e. CAN 2, four wheel speeds, etc. Let's see about the 4S. So far, it's only been an engineer's drawing!

This is an effort by AiM to move from the .drk file format and memory packing that has been around for the last fifteen years to the new file format (much more info) and better memory management (the new dashes and EVO5 will have 32 GB, yes, GIGABYTES of memory) and leverage the processing and memory power of the current hardware. So all good.

Thanks, Matt!
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tigaman View Post
    Oops, forgot about that.

Not sure the EVO4S will incorporate all the features the EVO5 will, though. Things like the extra connectivity that the 37-pin and 22-pin connectors provide, i.e. CAN 2, four wheel speeds, etc. Let's see about the 4S. So far, it's only been an engineer's drawing!

This is an effort by AiM to move from the .drk file format and memory packing that has been around for the last fifteen years to the new file format (much more info) and better memory management (the new dashes and EVO5 will have 32 GB, yes, GIGABYTES of memory) and leverage the processing and memory power of the current hardware. So all good.

Thanks, Matt!
    The core of the Evo4S is supposed to be the same as the MXL2 (and therefore the Evo5). Time will tell what it all does! Exciting new products and solutions!

The core of the Evo4S is supposed to be the same as the MXL2 (and therefore the Evo5). Time will tell what it all does! Exciting new products and solutions!
    Well, considering the EVO5 was shown at the same PRI (in Orlando, over three years ago) that the new dashes and the SmartyCam HD were, my bet is that we'll see the EVO5 before the EVO4S? Ten months until the SCHD was released, sixteen months until the SCHD GP was released and twenty-four MONTHS until the MXL2/MXG were released shows that the Italians (bless them) operate on a different calendar than the rest of us!

The connectors, processor and architecture of the EVO5 are indeed a "display less" MXL2/MXS/MXS. Makes sense and follows the MoTeC ADL (advanced display logger) versus their "blind" ACL (advanced central logger, that can be used with an optional display) model.

I did not get the sense that the EVO4S was much more than a packaging and file structure update (aided by an updated processor and memory) to a product only (relatively, 2010) recently introduced. Considering the connector layout that you and I have seen is identical to the current offering, it certainly will be downmarket (although more than adequate for many club racers, and at a more attractive price) than the upcoming EVO5.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tigaman View Post
    Well, considering the EVO5 was shown at the same PRI (in Orlando, over three years ago) that the new dashes and the SmartyCam HD were, my bet is that we'll see the EVO5 before the EVO4?

The connectors, processor and architecture of the EVO5 are indeed a "display less" MXL2/MXS/MXS. Makes sense and follows the MoTeC ADL (advanced display logger) versus their "blind" ACL (advanced central logger) that can be used with an optional display.

I did not get the sense that the EVO4S was much more than a packaging and file structure update to a product only (relatively, 2010) recently introduced. Considering the connector layout that you and I have seen is identical to the current offering, it certainly will be downmarket (although more than adequate for many club racers, and at a more attractive price) than the upcoming EVO5.
    We're starting to geek out again!

The Evo4S is all new hardware with 50% being identical to the Evo5. The connector layout and box will be slightly different than the current Evo4. Also, the Evo4S will use the GPS05 (and GPS08 when released), not the built in unit. I'm sure the 4S will be more than adequate for just about anyone. The real differences come in when you start looking at logging frequencies on the expansion channels and other high end problems.

We're starting to geek out again!

I'm sure the 4S will be more than adequate for just about anyone.

The real differences come in when you start looking at logging frequencies on the expansion channels and other high end problems.
    Hahaha! SO true! Geeking out. Cheers!
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

Liked: 180

Thanks for the information Peter.

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JakeL View Post
    I wanted to see if anybody out there is upgrading and looking to sell their previous generation AiM stuff for a good price?

Cheers,

-Jake
    Thank you, Jake!
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

Thread Information