Thread: Photon-001 SOLD

Contributing Member
    Liked: 1

Default Photon-001 SOLD

By permission of previous owner:

"This is arguably the original formula B car. It has always been a motorcycle engined car and the logbook dates back to 1992 when motorcycle engines were allowed in Formula Continental. Jeremy Hill drove it to much success in FC.

The car is still very competitive and is now powered by a 3 race old George Dean Racing GSXR-1000 engine dyno'd at 176hp. It hold two track records, mulitple wins, and in the hands of an old fat driver it has beaten new cars more often than it has been beaten by them."

Just a quick update, the track records no longer valid, they have been eclipsed by BD.

Car comes with:

8 Compomotive spun alum wheels, 4 slicks, 4 great shape rains. One of the wheels is damaged due to tire removal, not car accident. 4 transport wheels are included as well.

Spare wings, canopies, side pods, jigs for suspension, molds for front nose, side pods, chains, sprockets, shims for chain adj., headers, anti-roll bars steering knuckles. This is not a comprehensive list of spares.

All suspension was taken apart and painted professionally by original fabricator.

Some new additions, 2 new heim joints, 2 new willwood dynalites front brake calipers(new beefier versions), spare willood polymatrix pads, ram air intake to air box, reupholstered seat and steering wheel, new battery box(trailer breakaway) sized so new ballistic battery can be used, auxillary battery connection, chain and sprockets,

It weighs about 850 lbs with 7 gal fuel.

Asking $16,000 with spares.

Len, 905-773-2034, donotello10@yahoo.ca

photos to come.
    Last edited by donotello10; 07.24.14 at 8:24 PM.

Contributing Member

Default one pic

more pictures to follow

Contributing Member

Additional photos. If you need specific photos, please let me know.

Len

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 8

Default Good Car

I went through the car last fall when it was returned to Canada. I replaced anything it needed, sorted the wiring harness, stripped, etched and painted all the suspension, repacked the CV's and installed the new brakes. I also installed a new air intake system for less drag and better air to the engine. The GSXR runs like a top, has great oil pressure.

The car is clean, fully sorted and needs nothing to go win regionals.

I have the production set of molds available for this car as well. You will not find a car faster in a straight line....with a footbox just over a foot wide, there is little frontal area. I worked hard on the geometry and the car is easy to drive (very forgivable) and easy on tires.

Tom
    Last edited by brownslane; 06.04.13 at 8:00 AM.
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Contributing Member

Default Thank you

The original fabricator is none other than Tom Owen of Browns Lane fame.
    Thanks Tom for adding the things I missed in the profile that were done to the car while in your hands.

Len

Contributing Member

Default Price reduced

I'm reducing price to $14,500. I've done 3 test days and one race since
    original post. The trailer can be included if it will help sale.

Trailer is a 2003 Haulmark Edge version motorcycle hauler, 12' X 7', lowered torsion axles, beaver tail, radial tires. Asking $2800 with car.

Len

Contributing Member

Default Price reduced

New price $12,000. The trailer is sold.

Contributing Member

Default Price Reduced $8000

Fire sale, no the car didn't catch fire but I want to move it.

Liked: 64

I wish that you had bumped this thread 2 weeks ago and it would already be in my garage. Unfortunately I picked up a different car.

Good Luck with your sale, it should sell quickly at that price.
    Dan Lipperini Jr

www.RaceLabz.com

Liked: 444

Quote Originally Posted by donotello10 View Post
    Fire sale, no the car didn't catch fire but I want to move it.
    Own a piece of F1000 history... For the price of what some spend on tires for the Runoffs.

Liked: 126

I don't recall reading much about this Photon. Was it converted from something?

- What diff is in it?
    - How is the chain tensioned?
    - Shocks?
    - Dry sump?
    - Pushrod and bellcrank suspension?

If you put a floor and diffuser at max width, move the nose / wing forward, and add a lower rear wing element, this car would go a ton faster.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Default Old ad for this car....

Wow, seems like good bang-for-the buck. Here's an old ad for this same car:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...ghlight=photon

Liked: 8

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post

- What diff is in it?
    - Shocks?
    - Dry sump?

If you put a floor and diffuser at max width, move the nose / wing forward, and add a lower rear wing element, this car would go a ton faster.
    I built 6 cars for formula 4 back in the 90's. This was one of them. This is the original car that Jeremy Hill took to the FC runoffs in FB trim.

DIff is quaife IIRC
    Shimmed for tension
    Can't remember the shocks
    Wet sump
    Pushrod all round
    Ballistic car in a straight line, short wheelbase so it works great in the twisty bits. Easy to set up, really stiff chassis and easy to drive.....no real faults.

As Rob said earlier, there is a ton of development left in this car. Runs 24's at Mosport and the Glen, held records back east at new jersey for a few years. Still quick in the right hands.

The price is outrageous!
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Contributing Member

Default Photon info

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post

- What diff is in it?
    - Shocks?
    - Dry sump?

Hey Rob,

This car was built to compete in the Ontario region formula 4(750 cc) series in 1992. It was later converted to 1000cc which Jeremy Hill used to compete with formula continentals. It has evolved through the years with different rear subframe, brakes, and front suspension arms. In the front it has inboard horizontal bellcrank suspension, in the back it's inboard bellcrank vertical spring like the older Reynards. The shocks are Penske what series??

The rear wheels are driven by a 540 chain turning a diff from a Volvo 740 turbo, adjusting chain tension by means of shims. The engine(stock) was rebuilt by George Dean so I imagine it has his wet sump system.

Now that you mention it, it does have a rear diffuser floor which I never mounted, and the rear wing that I used 2 weeks ago is 5 in. wider than the one in the photo. The other nose has a more pronounced curve to it higher downforce but needs some repair. I don`t imagine the wooden side skirts do much but perhaps revive nostalgia of the DeHavilland Mosquito.

Contributing Member

Default Sold

Sold

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

Where is the car going?

Contributing Member

The car is remaining local in the southern Ontario region.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

So it is not going into the Jeremy Hill Hall of Fame Museum.

20. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

Obviously I opted for cash rather donate to the museum, and curator didn't try secure this car either. If one enshrines ones own car into the museum it could bring into question one's persona but not Jeremy's!

Thread Information