Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

I'm just wondering if a bolster shouldn't be totally flexible & attached with Velcro only for ease of removal when the car is not sitting in the upright position. Maybe even constructed in more than one section to aid in quick removal. Good quality Velcro definitely will hold it in place.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 26

I don't think you want it totally flexible, you want it somewhat limiting in motion effective at absorbing energy. Also, you want something that won't bounce you back out like some of the more flexible materials would. Much like helmets, seats, etc. And you want it robust (part of why they're glassed over) so that they last more than a race or two.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

I am planning on building a head surround for the Stohr. I am using a couple of simple square edge / corner connectors at the two back corners, and a pair of wedge connectors at the front corners. The air stream forces at speed, trying to remove the head surrond from the body work/ frame are mostly up. With the double lips from the two corners at the back the head restraint and body will stay together. With the double wedge at the front I should be able to pull the head restraint forward. That will release the rear corners and allow me to remove it over my head. Comments, criticisms and condemnations will be considered. I would really like to see Gary's attachment system.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    I don't think you want it totally flexible, you want it somewhat limiting in motion effective at absorbing energy. Also, you want something that won't bounce you back out like some of the more flexible materials would. Much like helmets, seats, etc. And you want it robust (part of why they're glassed over) so that they last more than a race or two.
    What I mean by flexible is, not totally rigid. I needs to be able to bend or fold enough to be moved out of the way by the driver if the car is rubber side up & he would prefer to exit the vehicle before help arrives. Not much room to work in there with the roll bar dug in the dirt & your head against the ground. Been there, done that, got a T shirt.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 679

Default DB series ideas

An idea I have been playing with for DB-series cars. The side pieces are so close to the helmet I can barely turn, so they can't really be much thicker than a half inch [2-3 pieces of cardboard thick] It could be made integral to the hoop cover, but you'd need a different way of attaching the hoop cover to make it easier to remove [and this option negates removal in an over-turned car, so really, not a great option]. Any other ideas?
    Last edited by swiftdrivr; 11.21.14 at 3:24 PM.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 852

Jim,
    IMHO, your "bolsters" are too far forward. One of the goals of this sort of "advancement" is to make sure that it doesn't make your racing MORE dangerous than it already was. Blocking side view is NOT a good thing. It doesn't take much to grab a glimpse of a WHEEL beside you ... if you can SEE it. If your view to at least 90 degrees both sides is blocked, that does not seem to be a good idea to me. Maybe the camera perspective is off, but you could have someone crouch beside you and 'ease up' to the point where you can see them and see where that is...

You can pick up substantial improvement in side 'bounce' protection without going past the helmet centerline (fore/aft). Going beyond that would improve the 'bounce' situation .. but at what cost ??

Just another consideration.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 111

Default Sideways Head Restraint

Agreed. Too much too far forward.

Liked: 679

I agree, but I mistakenly showed the wrong picture. I cut the side back an inch or so after I shot this picture. The question is really, will something that thin [CF? Tegris? Fiberglass?] be adequate to achive the goal, and how to attach it where it can be removed easily
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 8

Default kevlar

Jim,. do not use carbon fibre. It may fracture and splinter in a crash, embedding cf strands in the drivers shoulders, neck etc. You should consider using kevlar...a much better choice as kevlar has a much higher resistance to fracture; if the panel made of kevlar is impact damaged it will not tear or fracture like carbon will. That is why it the material of choice in intrusion panels. I would not recommend "pure" cf in any cockpit panels unless as part of a composite structure (tub). My side bolsters are high-density closed cell material covered in two layers of 4 oz kevlar, painted to match the bodywork.

Be sure not to build any structure that could act as a fulcrum in side impacts, where a support could act as a force multiplier in side motion.

Best, Tom
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Liked: 210

Seems to me you need to rethink the 'lines' of the whole project. F1 cars do not use high cockpit surround like that. Want to give drivers as much side view as they can safely give.

On the other hand you're headed more in the direction of Indy cars. They have higher more 'view blocking surrounds then I care for. But notice the way they slope up from the front cockpit and allow a smoother air flow. Air flow control rather then safety seems to be the real purpose of this design.
    Last edited by rickb99; 11.21.14 at 3:37 PM.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

Seems like the big thing is that new cars were designed from the git go to accommodate head bolsters or whatever. Structure in the right place to have something to attach to without creating huge blind spots.

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

Default Radical Head Restraint For Sale

I previous posted a photo of the head restraint offered by Radical Racing. It is a very universal piece and could be used in formula car or sport racer. I hunted one down and had it shipped from the UK. The cost was $750.00 plus shipping and duty. I don't need it and will part with it for $700.00. Best Eric/esakuma@aol.com

Liked: 0

old thread but thought it good to link to other thread

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61619

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information