Liked: 304

Default A few old pictures...

My wife dug out some old pics from long ago... not very good quality. I'll post up some more when I get a chance to scan them. Really aren't that many.

The orange/white Zink was built in 1973. I started building it in an open carport and then finished it in the garage to our new house. I turned 20 that year and SCCA changed the age from 21 to 18. I think these pics were taken just after my first drivers school at Road Atlanta. Or just prior, don't really remember. In the background are my three cars and a horse trailer that would soon be converted to an open race car trailer. It is the same trailer I use today. The ford wagon my dad bought me for a tow car. The 69 Z/28 was my street car, and the red MG sedan I bought for $25. On the other side of the MG sedan was my "hot" 65 MG Midgett, but not visible.

The orange car was destroyed at Charlotte in turn one off the oval in 1975.

I was a bit younger in that pic, with more hair...

After the orange Zink was destroyed, I bought a frame and body from John Gaither who was moving to the new Zink 12. Rollin Butler stripped everything off the car for Johns new car. This picture is from Road Atlanta, 1976 I think. Whatever year the fan belt rule was eliminated, as evidenced by my one time race with the big boat anchor directing air to my heads. I do not remember where that piece came from, but I was slower by about one second with it. It was only used the one race.

The second pic was of the car after I rescued it from my dads garage a few years ago. It is stripped down and stored in my garage now. I hope to put it together sometime...

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

that is so cool that you kept your car all those years

...you kept your car all those years
    I started building a new car in 1979. As with so many things it got derailed by a combination of work and other hobbies (flying), then getting married, children, and next thing you know it's 35 years later.

I just couldn't sell the car. Still can't. The truth is, racing through the 70's as a young man probably saved me from something or other...

Thread Information